Yellow | Slow down! Feds want to put limiters on newly manufactured heavy trucks

Wouldn't the elogs take care of this problem? They could still abuse the speed when really needed but if they do it all the time the elogs will catch up with them.

This estimated study is all well and good or sad however you want to look at it, but how many people were going down the road checking Facebook, Twitter,Instagram, Trucking Boards, etc? Sorry, but I can't help but believe that these so called conveniences have contributed to several of the accidents they are talking about. We have all been out on the road and seen a car swirving like a drunk driver only to get beside them and they are scrolling through there phone. Just saying.
I agree. But I still think 70 plus mph for trucks and cars is too fast. At 70 mph you are traveling around a 100 ft per second. Distracted or not, it still will take you longer to stop, and much also depends on your perception and reaction time to perceive the need to stop your truck. Companies pushing road runs over 600 plus miles a day, single man are putting to much pressure on the driver, along with all the other responsibilities you have already.

I agree. But I still think 70 plus mph for trucks and cars is too fast. At 70 mph you are traveling around a 100 ft per second. Distracted or not, it still will take you longer to stop, and much also depends on your perception and reaction time to perceive the need to stop your truck. Companies pushing road runs over 600 plus miles a day, single man are putting to much pressure on the driver, along with all the other responsibilities you have already.

Pump the brakes Tricky Dick, it's 2016, not 1975.

I agree that 70 is too fast for many drivers. Between phones, bad habits and lack of experience many drivers are just not capable of safely driving 70, especially when 70 means 75 or 80 to many.

I agree that 70 is too fast for many drivers. Between phones, bad habits and lack of experience many drivers are just not capable of safely driving 70, especially when 70 means 75 or 80 to many.
Bad thing is, they cannot post speed limits for experienced drivers, and drivers wearing sandals with sweat pants.

I can't wait for that ,it will give me a whole wopping 3 more mph than we are set at now. But I don't see my company bumping them up. "nuff said just plodding along at 61.97 stay safe

Bad thing is, they cannot post speed limits for experienced drivers, and drivers wearing sandals with sweat pants.

38lVwlq.jpg

Let's roll!
:smilie93c peelout:

I can't wait for that ,it will give me a whole wopping 3 more mph than we are set at now. But I don't see my company bumping them up. "nuff said just plodding along at 61.97 stay safe
Better to be a few minutes later, and in one piece ....

Where were all these traffic jams when the speed limit was 55, and no one had cell phones to distract them?
The speed limit was 55, but not all trucks were governed to 55. If they do put limiters on all trucks, it will take trucks miles to pass each other. Nobody lets off to let you get past. That will lead to road rage, especially among the passenger vehicles.

I will just say this. About 8 years ago, Ontario and Quebec made 65mph speed limiters on trucks mandatory for all trucks operating in those provinces, regardless of where they're from. The highest limit in Ontario is 62.

On top of all of that, truck tires are only rated for 75mph. Anyone going faster is literally an accident waiting to happen.

Frankly, if we weren't paid the pittances we are, as truck drivers,but rather something more reasonable, truckers wouldn't be so eager to speed. Just my piece on this.