Smartphone CB Radio App

michaeltc

TB Lurker
Credits
Trying to think of ways to get a community growing with the an Android/iPhone app - no set up or tuning needed; I know there are less CB'ers these days and perhaps this could be a way to keep it being lively.

As far as my knowledge goes...the app won't be able to tap into the CB radio network, BUT if a free app that lets nearby truckers chat with one another exists perhaps it could be a new way for truckers to communicate.

I do a bit of programming on my spare time and had some wild ideas going...different "rooms" for different types of conversations, or even setting the distances of people you would want to chat with (settings for a 5 mile radius, or a 20 mile radius). Anybody would be interested in testing it out with me?

Interesting...but is there a specific channel for trucking? I imagine people on Zello are of all types...
No specific channel, but you can set up a channel to be used for something similar. It would just require getting the word out and then wait and see how drivers respond to it. Me and 20 to 30 other drivers used it on a job site not long ago. Job site was one half mile from the quarry and DMV was like vulchers trying to pick us off without looking like the were waiting on us. When the CB traffic died, they left, and we continued on hauling.

I use an app for ham radio, called echolink, that is similar to your idea. It is based off ham radio repeaters being connected to the internet. You can talk to anyone on that repeater channel on the app and also anyone using actual radios on that repeater. With it you can talk around town or around the world.