SAIA | Smith System Rides

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
I had mine Thursday the 11th. I found out that there were some areas I needed to sharpen up. Anybody else had theirs and what did you learn?

Aim High in Steering
Get the Big Picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure others see you

Yes, I did mine a couple of weeks ago. For the second time in 8 months! Oh well. I think it basically gives Saia a way to find you at fault in any situation.

I dunno if that gives safety any ammunition in an accident investigation.

However, I didn't realize how far 15 seconds was in terms of distance or how much time 6 seconds is. It is going to take some time to retrain myself to allow that cushion. Also, during the time of the driving test, I didn't do as well as needed on the mirror scan. Those are some things that can be actively addressed.

However, the principles are sound and easily passed on to family members as well.

Brother Trucker said:
I dunno if that gives safety any ammunition in an accident investigation.

However, I didn't realize how far 15 seconds was in terms of distance or how much time 6 seconds is. It is going to take some time to retrain myself to allow that cushion. Also, during the time of the driving test, I didn't do as well as needed on the mirror scan. Those are some things that can be actively addressed.

However, the principles are sound and easily passed on to family members as well.

Good advice...

As long as you have your card showing you completed the class, you should be able to get a safe driver discount on your personal auto insurance.

If you have any problems such as your insurance rep tells you it's not a State Sponsored driving program, just tell the rep to check out the website http://www.smith-system.com/. I had just the same situation with Progressive about 5 years ago. After the rep looked at the website he determined that this course is more intensive than any State Sponsored driving course. Also the fact that it renews or refreshes every 2 years went a long way to getting the discount. Fight for your rights. If you took the course you deserve a discount on your policy.

It's been a couple of weeks since my ride. I can certainly tell a difference in my awareness or even the lack of it when a vehicle I didn't see passes me. Just another voice inside my head nagging me..........:biglaugh:

Isn't Smith SYS just common sense?

I don't know who invented all the mumbo jumbo, but man what a waste of money. I drive exactly like the Smith SYS and I don't have to have my hand held and told how to drive properly.

its called not driving like nothing can happen, usa, you have got to anticipate and expect the worst scenario at all times, it is basically self taught defensive driving with a price tag.....

The Smith System, is a good tool. When you boil all the water out of it , if a driver will increase following distance and increase eye lead time, it's succesful. No instructor is trying to teach you to drive. It's just some good ideas and techniques that you might find helpful in continuing to develope your driving skills. Some reasons companies use Smith System is that it is the largest and oldest co. in this field. It is also a matter of liability. If one of your drivers has a bad accident, it goes to court, before a jury. The co. lawyers can say look we have a great safe driving course that we put our people through every2-3 yrs. That equals a smaller settelment, and ins. rates. Yes it cost $$$ to do this but one accident avoided will make it worth it.

I can't speak for the other terminals, but at DLS we have driver trainers and just two or possibly three are certified smith system instructors. In that respect the company is saving more money.

However, as pointed out in our last safety meeting this past week (6-22-06) the statistics bear out that the training is effective. Our city drivers have exceeded the hours between accidents goal (meaning we drove more hours between accidents than the same time period last year). Very few if any of the road drivers have had the ride and they have only reached 50% of the goal.

It would seem that rather than being self taught it might be described as self reinforcing of good habits. The key is to build and reinforce proactive driving habits rather than being put in a position of making panic decisions and possibly winding up as a 30 second piece on the local television news broadcast.

I cringe when I hear about a wreck on the freeway and it involves an 18 wheeler. Invariably the public perception is that it is our fault even though we all know that is usually not the case.

Here at BigR we've used it for about the last 12 yrs with 2 yr refresher courses. I don't much care about someone timing my actions such as mirror checking but I do appreciate the program. I also notice (with many exceptions) that the ltl companies out there tend to be some of the best drivers, especially as far as courtesy and space. Kudos to the Smith System.