XPO | Smoking in the trucks

iamgs3

TB Lurker
Credits
I hope to have a reasonable adult discussion about this topic.

I do not want to drive a truck that has been smoked in because it stinks. The stink gets in the AC system and filter and blows stink all day.

Smokers please explain why you smoke in the truck.

It is still company policy that there is no smoking in any company vehicle. This includes tractors, hostlers, forklifts and automobiles.

Being a former smoker I really hate it. Now I am nic fitting all night because you don't want to be considerate enough to get out the damn truck.

Back when i was still smoking, I never did smoke in the truck. Respect for my fellow co-worker who did not smoke. He even said it would be ok for me to smoke because he knew i was a very clean person in the truck and would not leave it with ashes and butts all over, but i still did not smoke in it.

It is still company policy not to smoke in the truck but i don't complain about the guys that do, unless they leave it a mess, then they will hear from me. Most of the guys I know that do still smoke in the trucks are very clean about it, and freshen it when they get out, etc. I can still smell it, but i know they are at least trying to respect me by keeping it clean.

If you are a pig in the truck, you need a steady dose of nut kickin until you understand that you are not the only person that drives the truck.

I Quit Smoking two years ago I can't stand the Smell of it I personally even on linehaul trips didn't smoke in the trucks mainly out of Respect for other Drivers and I wish other driver's would give that same Respect back !!

It's a policy that is no longer enforced, at least at my terminal. Some trucks are worse than others. I've learned to avoid trucks that I know have the strongest stench. I simply let the FOS know that I'm not driving that truck because it smells like an ashtray. Funny that they are more comfortable giving me a different unit than following through and enforcing the policy. Wasn't this also a law of some sort?

I would rather drive a smoker's truck than an ass-stink truck. Some drivers take a dump at the FAC and then sweat too much...we have a few ass-smell trucks..

Maybe they should assign trucks to guys that smoke. What they do at my place. Cause you know some moron gonna get toe cancer and blame it on lack of no smoking in the truck policy enforcement and lawyer up....

Maybe they should assign trucks to guys that smoke. What they do at my place. Cause you know some moron gonna get toe cancer and blame it on lack of no smoking in the truck policy enforcement and lawyer up....

With a name like smokin'joe, do you really need to post on this thread....:hide:

Somebody had to say it....

an on going fight at our barn as well. I refused to take a switch truck because of the smoke smell. Even though it's law in ontario and quebec to not smoke in the truck, they seem to tolerate it rather than enforce the policy. As for the ass smell, I agree. I'm a bigger guy, and share the truck with an even bigger guy who has a b.o. problem. I febreeze the seat twice daily, and on saturday morning, the seat gets scrubbed down with upholstery cleaner, so it can dry over the weekend. He asked me why I go to all the trouble, I told him " I don't want to smell you, and I'm sure you don't want to smell me."

I do not smoke, I quit when they went to .35cents a pack. yes; i can smell it just like everyone else, Yes; i know it is policy, But Please! Why does everyone have to over bare their wants and needs at the expence of others.. This is the why I see it, (and yes I know i will get some smart-ass remarks) but if you do not want people to smoke in THE company equipment, and keep THE company equipment as clean as you want; let me suggest that you buy your own Tractor...Hay maybe we can get the company to sell you complainers one! Then the company can really make profit goals!!!!

In the words of Samuel l Jackson, " well, allow me to retort..."

Why should we as non smokers have to put up with that smell on our clothes and hands? Why should I have to eat a sandwich with a lovely faint nicotine smell to it, because my hands smell like it from the steering wheel? Why should I strain my eyes trying to look through a smoke stained windshield? Why should I have to clean up after someone who smokes? I would love it if they would dedicate trucks!

Not a smart ass answer, just the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a non-smoker, and so is the other driver assigned to my truck. I hate it when he's out and some smoker (especially a cigar smoker) drives my truck. Ashes all over the place, nicotine on the steering wheel, and the truck smells bad. I wish the company would enforce the policy.

at the terminal i'm at they allow people smoking breaks in the parking lot, they say it's a loose interpretation of the policy. what ever that means. i guess what it comes down to is they do what ever they want when they want. kinda like ann-arbor

It is at the very least a state law to not allow smoking in our trucks.
There was a time when the law went into effect that signs were posted all over with the code number and a phone number to call and report infractions.
I don't give a rodent's rear end what you suck into your lungs, but I'm tired of smelling it in the truck and then on my hands.
Don't visit your weakness to overcome your habit/addiction on everyone else.
As far as "non-smoking" trucks go, they are ALL supposed to be "non-smoking" trucks.

I do not smoke, I quit when they went to .35cents a pack. yes; i can smell it just like everyone else, Yes; i know it is policy, But Please! Why does everyone have to over bare their wants and needs at the expence of others.. This is the why I see it, (and yes I know i will get some smart-ass remarks) but if you do not want people to smoke in THE company equipment, and keep THE company equipment as clean as you want; let me suggest that you buy your own Tractor...Hay maybe we can get the company to sell you complainers one! Then the company can really make profit goals!!!!
Thanks for not disappointing. I knew the "buy your own truck" remark would come up. As far as smart-ass remarks go, you beat us to it.

Why should I smell like nicotine for an adult that does not obey the no smoking rule. I write the smell in my vcr book and take it straight to a fom or higher. I even took the book to HR. That sorry smoker told me I had not right to do that. I just laughed and walked away. He deserved everything he got. I would do it again.

I hope to have a reasonable adult discussion about this topic.

I do not want to drive a truck that has been smoked in because it stinks. The stink gets in the AC system and filter and blows stink all day.

Smokers please explain why you smoke in the truck.

Because they have mo respet for the non smokers and Con-Way will not enforce the no smoking policy. plain and simple.