New Penn | SMT Lines

UnionTrucka

TB Regular
Credits
we were told on friday that we will be interlining with Southwestern Motor Transport, along with Wilson, to the areas formally covered by USF. our TM came in on friday and discussed with us that all service will be un-interrupted. anyone got any info on these guys ?

I don't get it. YRC has told HMES that any frt formally serviced by us will be interlined with Yellow out of our ME terminal. I wonder why you guys use 2 non-union carriers? I guess NP can't get back-sold by Yellow or Roadway using the small regional carrier.

I don't get it. YRC has told HMES that any frt formally serviced by us will be interlined with Yellow out of our ME terminal. I wonder why you guys use 2 non-union carriers? I guess NP can't get back-sold by Yellow or Roadway using the small regional carrier.

NP almost always interlines with some other carrier, union or not. i too can't understand why they don't keep that frt. in-house. i ask but never get the answer i'm looking for. however, the one consistent answer i get is that these "partners" get that frt. there faster than anyone else. another reason why NP is chosen to deliver their frt. coming into the NE.

Don't know anything about Southwestern, however NP has been using Wilson for a long time. If the service makes our customers happy, why mess with a good thing ? Perhaps you should visit the Camp Hill yard to view the multitue of different companies that we use whose trailers sit in the yard, which is to many to list.
It does keep all of us making that good money we have become used to, and getting the new equipment that other union carriers never see.

In 1930, Roy Gilbert Sr. started Gilbert Truck Line in Cotulla, TX with one used truck serving San Antonio, TX to Cotulla, TX. During 1940, He was able to secure authority to serve Laredo and the Mexican border. Through the 1940's, the fleet grew to about 50 pieces of equipment. In 1950, Mr. Gilbert purchased Southwestern Motor Transport Inc., and merged the two companies. This brought the fleet to just over 100 units. Contact us:
800-531-1071
210-662-2390
Fax: 210-662-3295
4600 Goldfield
San Antonio, TX 78218
Email us
By 1953, service to Corpus Christi and The Rio Grande valley was initiated. Internal growth and development followed through the sixties and seventies.
Deregulation in 1981 allowed S.M.T. to extend service to surrounding states, the Midwest, and the Southeast.
Currently, we serve the eastern half of the U.S.A. in truckload and LTL. We also perform thru service between Mexico, Canada, and the United States.

history of swmt doesnt sound whole bunch differant than npme with e h arnold and his one truck beginning.am sure npme researched area and found a company with similar traits business wise that could also make the delivery times npme was selling to customers in the northeast. i'm sure roadway and yellow couldnt do it on a consitent basis, if at all. swmt now has insentive and way to grow there business dealing with reputable npme and makeing del. times as well as them sending freight to the northeast.so in the end we dont lose any revenue from states were yrc closed down bestway/reddaway, and maybe even gain if swmt is interlineing to northeast with us.as far as wilson, they just gained a few more states for us both to do business in , extending a deal that has been going on for 16+ yrs, already.

I know for a fact wilson gets a 1-2 trls a day from npme for hampton roads in VA.

Interesting comment made thou that brought back a comment from a old seasoned roadie from RDWY b/4 this YRC thing. Was the fact RDWY was looking to buy another LTL after the New Penn deal and Wilson was the name he mentioned back then.

UT how are things in QNZ, yeah I took some time off so the bottom guys could work and I'll be damn the reserves snatched me. I'm down here at Fort Bragg training with the 82 airborne hope to be back soon

npme-arnold days, was said they wanted to purchase wilson, wilson being family owned didnt want to sell.just kept up partnership. when roadway bought npme, under some regional group title before yrc, k leedy was in charge of said group, and supposed to scout country for similar working regionals companys for roadway to buy. of course economey puked on us once again, dot-com, and enron and worldcom bust, and 9-11, and that was it for that idea.the end of that greedy scam on the american people buy wonderful wall street and fellow anlyist. worldcom was something like 1.2 billion loss of company equity.2003 the ride started agian, freight for all, record profits for all in trucking business.4 yrs. later , wall street has fuc$%d us again, only this time they have effected banks all over the world.just one more scam, that there greed , has come up with that is effecting not only usa economy,but world has felt losses also. the largest us banks have taken 7-15 billion $ losses in one quarter. some have said total in the end will be 100 plus billion in losses , for banks in this country. we are all feeling some kind of pain is this fu%^ing from wall street.when are we as hard working americans going to wake up and at least show the gov't or wall street we are not all brain dead as to whats going on. bush hasnt helped the working man much in last 8 yrs, but the wonderful democratic congress cant pass a bill all year, but has time to hold hearings on whether roger clemens did steriods or not. all along our econmey just keeps sinking lower. all ltl forums here talk of big lay off's or not working even 40 hrs. and bush wanting to give us each 600$, we will take it but we know 600 $ isnt sh$%.anybody with half a brain is going to put it towards debt. not go spend it on more worth less toys. this country is so fu^&ed up any more, its hard to phantom , how we were the best at everything at one time, and now our claim to fame is the biggest nation of debt in the world. you know the '***** FRENCH" as we like to call them, truckdrivers call a strike they stop there trucks in the highways and on railroad tracks, and let the sh%t rot and gas set till the gov't wakes up, the italians truckers brought the country to a standstill few months back with a strike. it took 2 days till stations were out of petrol, and only food around was rotting on store shelves.i'm not foolish enough to beleive that the brain dead , no driveing son-of -a bitc78S

npme-arnold days, was said they wanted to purchase wilson, wilson being family owned didnt want to sell.just kept up partnership. when roadway bought npme, under some regional group title before yrc, k leedy was in charge of said group, and supposed to scout country for similar working regionals companys for roadway to buy. of course economey puked on us once again, dot-com, and enron and worldcom bust, and 9-11, and that was it for that idea.the end of that greedy scam on the american people buy wonderful wall street and fellow anlyist. worldcom was something like 1.2 billion loss of company equity.2003 the ride started agian, freight for all, record profits for all in trucking business.4 yrs. later , wall street has fuc$%d us again, only this time they have effected banks all over the world.just one more scam, that there greed , has come up with that is effecting not only usa economy,but world has felt losses also. the largest us banks have taken 7-15 billion $ losses in one quarter. some have said total in the end will be 100 plus billion in losses , for banks in this country. we are all feeling some kind of pain is this fu%^ing from wall street.when are we as hard working americans going to wake up and at least show the gov't or wall street we are not all brain dead as to whats going on. bush hasnt helped the working man much in last 8 yrs, but the wonderful democratic congress cant pass a bill all year, but has time to hold hearings on whether roger clemens did steriods or not. all along our econmey just keeps sinking lower. all ltl forums here talk of big lay off's or not working even 40 hrs. and bush wanting to give us each 600$, we will take it but we know 600 $ isnt sh$%.anybody with half a brain is going to put it towards debt. not go spend it on more worth less toys. this country is so fu^&ed up any more, its hard to phantom , how we were the best at everything at one time, and now our claim to fame is the biggest nation of debt in the world. you know the '***** FRENCH" as we like to call them, truckdrivers call a strike they stop there trucks in the highways and on railroad tracks, and let the sh%t rot and gas set till the gov't wakes up, the italians truckers brought the country to a standstill few months back with a strike. it took 2 days till stations were out of petrol, and only food around was rotting on store shelves.i'm not foolish enough to beleive that the brain dead , no driveing son-of -a bitc78S

Allnightrain,you got to slow down on that keyboard,I know you can make some interesting points:1036316054: but it is very hard to read some of your posts

Allnightrain,you got to slow down on that keyboard,I know you can make some interesting points:1036316054: but it is very hard to read some of your posts

I believe what he was attempting to say is we don't stick together, truckers or any working man or woman. Everyone is out for themselves, chasing that mortgage and car payment every week, before they lose it all. Credit seems to be the largest problem, too much given too quickly for purchases we really can live without, but since the neighbor has it, then we must have it too.
Live within your means, spend what you have, not what the finance guy says you can afford, and invest wisely.

when roadway bought npme, under some regional group title before yrc, k leedy was in charge of said group, and supposed to scout country for similar working regionals companys for roadway to buy.

I think you're right. When Roadway purchased New Penn they put them in a division called Roadway Next Day Group. Obviously the "group" never grew to be more than New Penn before Yellow took over.

NP almost always interlines with some other carrier, union or not. i too can't understand why they don't keep that frt. in-house. i ask but never get the answer i'm looking for. however, the one consistent answer i get is that these "partners" get that frt. there faster than anyone else. another reason why NP is chosen to deliver their frt. coming into the NE.

more than likely if they gave that freight to yellow or roadway if they have men on layoff they may have to bring them back earlier then planned, thus screwing up their cost cutting plan
i guess the company feels they can service the customer and still reap the benifits of keeping guys on layoff
if they have no guys on layoff then it is just poor management

by the way i have a quote i think that applies in that situation

The Lord gave us two ends---one to sit on and the other to think with.
Success depends on which one we use the most.

in reality it also is fair to apply that to the union at times:1036316054::biglaugh::hysterical:

more than likely if they gave that freight to yellow or roadway if they have men on layoff they may have to bring them back earlier then planned, thus screwing up their cost cutting plan
i guess the company feels they can service the customer and still reap the benifits of keeping guys on layoff
if they have no guys on layoff then it is just poor management

by the way i have a quote i think that applies in that situation

The Lord gave us two ends---one to sit on and the other to think with.
Success depends on which one we use the most.

in reality it also is fair to apply that to the union at times:1036316054::biglaugh::hysterical:

that was brilliant :1036316054: anyhow, their cost-cutting plan is a success cause their relationship with Wilson and now SMT has been growing for years. i think the only union carriers we interline with are USF Holland & Reddaway and Alvan Motor Frt. in OH.

Two words for you allnightrain....

VETO and Filibuster. The D's control both houses but the R's have made it their mission to not let anything get done, and then stand back and say these D's haven't gotten anything done! Solution? Democratic President along with super-majority in Senate(60) and majority in House. You'll see plenty getting done then!

but the d's kept telling us how much they would get done , once they control the congress. not disagreeing with you as much as saying there all full of sh%t.

Perhaps they overplayed the expectations game. I can chalk that up to electioneering strategy. I think the most important outcome of them taking control is keeping the damage done to our country by the Bush Adm. to a minimum. We will be decades repairing most of the damage, both monetarily and in our standing in the world community. But they actually have passed numerous bills only for the President to veto them. And over in the Senate, the R's have filibustered more legislation in a one year period than that has ever been done over a two year period in Senate history.