Snatched airlines off dolly

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by IbleedOd, May 7, 2017.

1. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for this guy but I have to respond to the premise of your post... I don't believe in folks getting :shit:-canned for nothing but your statement infers that there should be no personal responsibility for ones actions and mistakes should not be punishable.

2. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

Not at all. It's just that an at-will employee can be fired for anything and everything, so they must always be in fear of their job.

We're all human and mistakes are inevitable. An at will employee, however, must always work on the razors edge.

Does the company fire for anything and everything? It's possible. No one really knows what may or may not be their last mistake.

This guy appears he's his own worst enemy now following his previous preventable and working scared is causing him to make further mistakes.

To summarize, one man could be fired for something another man were spared for. It's all subjective. That's all I meant.

seabreeze likes this.
  3. IbleedOd

IbleedOd New Member

Will do!

kenneth likes this.
  4. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

So what happened after you reported it? Been 2 days now and looks like things are fine.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Active Member

I always walked down the right side, bumped tires, checked lights, flaps, placard and holders, removed locks ,went around back of both trailers to check upper lights, then lowered gear, removed light cord and lines and pulled pin, unhooked rear box then finished lead box, that way your checking lights and tires on both side. Just opposite for Pre trip. everything started from left front....everyone has their own way of doing pre and post trips but most important is get into a routine and do not get into a hurry. If I am interupted then I can go back and either start over or continue where I was at, but atleast I know its done properly

IbleedOd, Ump, BillyLo and 1 other person like this.
  6. BillyLo

You always looked like you knew what you were doing over the other guys who got lucky to have a job with us. Hope groceries been good to ya.

7. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

We've got guys who wouldn't know if the right side if the trailer was missing.

8. Songremainsthesame

I don't know, but I've been an at-will employee my whole working life and I've never once been in fear of losing my job. I just do the work and put the rest in God's hands. One tends to make more mistakes when overthinking the task anyway.

dough boy, kenneth and Dick Dastardly like this.
  9. Songremainsthesame

I had a meet driver over 2 hours late one night because he had to wait for the shop to replace the air tank on one of the wagons. He discovered a gaping hole in it when he was pretripping. I just want to know how the driver who brought it in missed the massive loss in air pressure, or how the hostler who busted the set didn't hear the loud hiss coming from the air tank, and the same question goes to the hostler who put it to the dock and moved it to the loaded line!! No less than 4 employees missed an obvious problem.

dough boy, Ump and kenneth like this.
  10. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

Same has me meeting a driver out of Jersey City who brought a dolly with a busted brake chamber.When I asked him he said he had got it off the deadline area and didn't know.lol.Just glad the meet and turn was at a terminal.Also could hear him coming down the road and all I could say is Really?????

11. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Active Member

speaking of aor tanks, I found one on anothers drivers tractor I was using for the day and the tank on the right side of the frame was held on with only one tank strap and the hose was enough on the other end that it kept it from falling off, and this is the one in plain sight. not to mention a completely bald tire with cord showing left in a drop yard. Funny thing about this trailer, it came from I believe Tenn. and the tires on the left were bran spankin new but the right wide were wore out and this bald baloney slick was on the outside. Cant figure this out to this day.

12. Songremainsthesame

Sounds to me like a bunch of drivers don't believe the right side of the equipment exists, let alone deserves to be checked.

Canadian Flyer and Ump like this.
  13. freightman68

freightman68 Rightwing_extremist

Every time you drop a trailer take one last look as your walking away to make sure you unhoooked everything....and vice versa when your hooking

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  14. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Hope they didn't give you a chargable for snatching an air line off.
    In my days, company would laugh at you for a week or two and shop may tie a greasy gladhand to your steering wheel.

15. Ump

I think a burnt out bulb is a chargeable now. Takes the shop 20 minutes to find the code for a $1.00 marker light.

Big Dave and Songremainsthesame like this.
  16. Ump

Most nerve racking thing I do all day... Did I lower the landing gear, did I pull the pin, did I disconnect the lines, did I let the air out...all this going thru my head as I drop my pup!! And they wonder why I have high blood pressure.

17. 00mustang

00mustang JUST LIVING THE DREAM

Not trying to 1 up anybody but come over to my sandbox in carhaul and see the things we have to worry about. Every job has it's pitfalls and we all share in it everyday every body stay safe

18. BillyLo

Carhauling by far requires more attention to detail than linehaul.

19. seabreeze

No way Jose, You guys deal with hydraulics, chains, placement and who knows what else.
    They would be a lot more cars in the junk yards if I was car hauling.

Songremainsthesame, 00mustang and Ump like this.
  20. seabreeze

I bet everyday you miss the Gravy Train you had at CFC, MAYBE JUST A LITTLE?

00mustang likes this.