TForce | Snow & Ice - On Top of Trailers

I was in NBR last night and had to use that new snow blade equipment they had installed. It worked very well and cleaned the snow off right down to the trailer roof. I had to go to the shop and find someone to operate the machine. I was surprised to see that there was no electricity out there and they had a small generator that needed to run this machine. Maybe they will put electricity out there in the summer. Every terminal should have one of these machines. I'm glad I was on the clock. 1) I had to go to the shop and find a mechanic. 2) I had to drive to the other end of the parking lot and wait for the mechanic. 3) The mechanic had to get the plow truck and clean up the area where the last trailers were cleaned up, He did not want me to drive over the snow because it would have been to high for the machine. 4) The mechanic had to get that small pull start generator started. 5) I got lined up and we cleaned the trailers off. 6) I had to drive all the way around the building to dispatch. This took 45 minutes so don't clock off drop and hook until after you have cleaned the snow off your trailers.

BusterNite - did anyone give You a hard time? Did You ask the mechanic – how often They actually use this device?

I had to have My load swung onto a different trailer last night prior to turning PHL...

Yea... it was an inconvenience... but, everyone understood - the necessity!

BusterNite - did anyone give You a hard time? Did You ask the mechanic – how often They actually use this device?

I had to have My load swung onto a different trailer last night prior to turning PHL...

Yea... it was an inconvenience... but, everyone understood - the necessity!

Absolutely not, It seems that everyone in NBR was well aware that this must be done. I was told that there was a notice posted in NBR (I did not see) That if there is snow or ice on top of the trailers the driver must go to the shop and see the mechanic. Dispatch had no problem that it took extra time to get this done. If there is snow or ice on top of your trailers and the facility has one of these machines, Its expected that the driver gets it taken care of no matter how long it takes. I am sure this puts a little extra pressure on the mechanics, but it must be done.

UPS has deep pockets. I'm glad to see that they will keep you guys out of trouble and the public safe. For what ever the motivation.

If you are in one of the bigger terminals with this set up, it's great. But what about when you go to a dark terminal? What is the procedure?

If you are in one of the bigger terminals with this set up, it's great. But what about when you go to a dark terminal? What is the procedure?
I know some guys who encountered this last year... I think in Syracuse.... They called central... central called an outside vendor to come and shovel the snow off of the trailers.
The difference from then to now is the rate of pay and of course not giving away time for free.:clap:

I'm pretty sure on at least one occasion the driver went to a motel for the night because the vendor wasn't available.

Just wanting to know if anyone has encountered this problem & how it was handled.

I encountered this - last night...

Was to of pulled a set of MTY's out of a dark terminal...

The only two (2) left - had two foot - snow encrusted drifts on the top of them...

Called Central - and They had Me pull an MTY van instead.

I encountered this - last night...

Was to of pulled a set of MTY's out of a dark terminal...

The only two (2) left - had two foot - snow encrusted drifts on the top of them...

Called Central - and They had Me pull an MTY van instead.

That snow really builds up when they are parked at the dock through out a storm. If dispatch wanted to avoid some of this they could remove the loaded trailer from the dock or when its time to put a empty up against the dock to be loaded, look for empties that do not have any snow build up on them. OK, Forget about it!!!

WOW! I use to think what's the big deal about the ice and snow on the roof. You guys opened my eyes for sure. Thanks!

Well BusterNite I know your question is off topic,but I will tell you,I'm really enjoying being retired.
Everyday is like having a vacation day off.
I can stay up late if I want,because I can sleep as late as I want the following morning.

My wife still takes care of her own horses,I throw hay bails down from our barns hay loft so she doesn't have to climb up,and get them.
I also hold onto them,everyother month when the black smith comes to trim their hooves.
My wife is still a school bus driver,she wants to work another 4 or 5 years,she still enjoys what she's doing.

God has really blessed me with the pension from the Teamster years,I had worked before Overnite,plus Overnite/UPS Freight,also Social Security,so I don't need to work anywhere.

After 45 years of being a city driver,the first month was kind of wierd,but here it is 9 months later,and I'm really enjoying not having to drive the big rigs on a city route in the snow.

So to sum up retirment,as long as your blessed with good health,its a beautiful thing.

It looks like Truckers who drive in New York State,can stop worring about any winter conditions on their roofs.

Don't be so sure of that! :smilie_132:

www.wcbs880.com - NY State Police Ticketing Drivers with Snow and Ice on Cars

www.LoHud.com - New York's Lower Hudson Valley - officers writing tickets for having an “unsecured load.”

SOMERS, NY (AP) -- State Police will again be out today ticketing motorists who have ice and snow on their vehicles. Police say the snow blows off the cars and hits other vehicles - possibly smashing windshields. That's what happened to Westchester Police Sergeant Michael Hagan when his windshield was shattered by ice and snow blowing off a box truck in front of him on Route 684.

Hagan says he had glass all over him and his rear-view mirror in his lap.

He was able to stop the truck and give a ticket.

The charge is having an unsecure load.

New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 380-a - Certain Vehicles Engaged In The Transportation Of Loose Cargo.

FMCSA - Part 393: Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation_Subpart I —Protection Against Shifting and Falling Cargo_393.100

small-cm121807hagan2.jpg

small-cm121807hagan3.jpg

small-121807webpics12.jpg

Mike Hagan of Fishkill stands near his police car where the windshield was smashed with flying ice off another car while driving on I-684 in Hawthorne Dec. 18, 2007.

Well I only post the latest news links I find on my internet crash searches.
The article I posted reguarding this falling ice topic was dated 1/5/09.
I looked at the links you posted in responce to my post, the top one was dated 12/17/07.
The next on looked like it was posted 12/08.

This is why I posted that New York States seems to be clueless on this dangerous topic to date.

I brought this article here to share the latest news I happened across,not to stir up any trouble.

I brought this article here to share the latest news I happened across,not to stir up any trouble.

That was never implied...

What needs to be understood here - is that depending on who You hit - might very well determine... if You get a Ticket or not!

And in a case that involves Damage or Death... getting a Ticket for an Unsecured Load - will not be the only Infraction given!

Even states that don't necessarily address this issue specifically - will Ticket or Fine You... if You cause Damage or Serious Injury!

Depending upon the Severity of Injury or Death… plan on going to Jail!

Every State has a Code or Regulation that Mirrors that of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - Regulation § 393.100...

This will be the Violation Assessed... for a Minor Infraction throughout the country!

Well then in all of my 45 years of being a city steering wheel holder.
Anytime anything negative happened in reguards to moving any trucking company equipment the blame always seemed to fall to the operator.

I wasn't a city driver very long before I developed this saying.
"when all else fails blame it on the driver"

So I guess my point is on this issue is no matter what any authority figure says,you the driver are to do when theres snow,or ice,or both on any unit you are going to move.

If you move it,and anything negative happens,don't look for any back up.
You are the one who will suffer for your own actions.

Be careful,and by all means do not go beyond your own personal judgment of any safety issues,this is the best advice I can offer all of my former co-workers.

Proximate cause

"Proximate cause" is an act which sets off a natural and continuous sequence of events that produces injury. Without the act, no injury would have resulted. Any time you act, you start a series of natural and continuous events to occur (simple cause and effect, like when you touch the surface of still water and ripples are created). Responsibility for an injury lies with the negligent act that produced the injury.

To bear responsibility for injury to others in a car accident, your negligent action
(or failure to act) must be the proximate cause of the injury, without any intervening causes interrupting the natural sequence of events. - source: www.freeadvice.com

Well I was a UPS Freight safety trainner,thats the wedge,between all the truckers,yard,and dockhands,and management.

I got to have a whole lot more responsibility above,and beyond a regular driver,plus the authority with the safety department to over rule any unsafe act of all my terminals authority figures such as supervisors,and including my terminal TM,but with no extra money in my pay check.

But all in all it was nice to be able to keep my co-workers safe,on the job.