ABF | Snow & Ice removal From Trailers

Teamster Hitman

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a newbee so take it easy. Here in Penna they are really enforcing ice on the roofs of the trailers. My manager thought he was going to order us up a ladder, Yea right. Can you tell me what you guys are doing for this problem. NMFA ARTICLE 16.
EQUIPMENT, SAFETY AND HEALTH

Preamble

It is agreed that all parties covered by this Agreement shall comply with all applicable federal, state and local regulations pertaining to worker safety and health and subjects covered by Article 16. Failure to do so shall be subject to the grievance procedure, in accordance with Articles 7 and 8 of the NMFA, and any other remedies prescribed by law after the procedures contained in this Agreement are exhausted. Class A casual mechanics will not be allowed to sign off safety related write ups.

Section 1. Safe Equipment

The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle that is not in a safe operating condition, including, but not limited to, equipment which is acknowledged as overweight or not equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law. It shall not be a violation of this Agreement or basis for discipline where employees refuse to operate such equipment unless such refusal is unjustified.

It shall also not be a violation of this Agreement or considered an unjustified refusal where employees refuse to operate a vehicle when such operation constitutes a violation of any federal rules, regulations, standards, or orders applicable to commercial motor vehicle safety or health, or because of the employee’s reasonable apprehension of serious injury to himself/herself or the public due to the unsafe condition of such equipment. The unsafe conditions causing the employee’s apprehension of injury must be of such nature that a reasonable person, under the circumstances then confronting the employee, would conclude that there is a bona fide danger of an accident, injury, or serious impairment of health, resulting from the unsafe condition. In order to qualify for protection under this provision, the employee must have sought from the Employer, and have been unable to obtain, correction of the unsafe condition.

All equipment which is refused because it is not mechanically sound or properly equipped shall be appropriately tagged so that it cannot be used by other employees until the maintenance department has adjusted the complaint. After such equipment is repaired, the Employer shall place on such equipment an “ok” in a conspicuous place so the employee can see the same.

Section 2. Dangerous Conditions

Under no circumstances will an employee be required or assigned to engage in any activity involving dangerous conditions of work, or danger to person or property or in violation of any applicable statute or court order, or in violation of a government regulation relating to safety of person or equipment.

The term “dangerous conditions of work” does not relate to the type of cargo which is hauled or handled.

Teamster Hitman

Just what are you suppose to do?

I work on trailers here in the Atlanta shop and was wondering just what the heck you are suppose to do once they get you a ladder? If the trailer has a fiberglass roof then yes I would refuse to climb on top of it, hell these things are so full of patches and weak spots that I hate climbing on them when there isn't any snow on them, so no way am I climbing on top of it with the added weight of all that snow on there also!

They brought this issue up to us this week after road drivers going out refused loads with snow on the roofs. I guess ABF has never had to deal with snow before...

It was suggested to use the UPack lift with a snow rake to pull snow off, not exactly a safe situation. They don't want us using a ladder to get up there, and don't want to spend to get a shop ladder with handles, or a safety cage for the forklift.

Heard thru the grapevine that CAR has some sort of drive-thru contraption to scrape snow off, but that's news to me. If this is going to be a recurring issue, I hope that they use appropriate resources to fix the problem. How bout calling the SAM? Maybe win a trip to the corner store...?!

Heard thru the grapevine that CAR has some sort of drive-thru contraption to scrape snow off, but that's news to me. If this is going to be a recurring issue, I hope that they use appropriate resources to fix the problem. How bout calling the SAM? Maybe win a trip to the corner store...?!

Yes, we have a scraper that the hook men drive the unit through before the unit is placed on the ready line. I guess so far, it has worked, but it looks somewhat flimsy to me and I have doubts about it working through a heavy snow storm. They showed a video of a car that was damaged from ice sliding off the roof on the news the other day. It went right through the windshield. 2 hours later, it happened again on the same road. So you know that police department will be hot on that issue in the future. But also, think about it, I would feel horrible if that ice slid off my roof and went through a young girl's windshield and hit her face and she ended up deformed or whatever. That would be devastating. ABF will simply say that you should not have taken that trailer out on the road. And meanwhile that poor girl is put through all that suffering and will never have a boyfriend. It's not worth it.
Just my two cents.

Several years ago on a trip from Cape 083 to 261 Evansville I had a big sheet of ice slide off the lead box and onto the gear. Cut my airlines in two for the rear box. I could only imagine what that would have been like at full speed in ice/snow/traffic. Luckily I was on a 2 lane blacktop in the middle of nowhere at 2am.

Also in Article 16, NMFA ............. (w) Employee will not be required to climb on unguarded trailer roofs for snow removal. DS.

Several years ago on a trip from Cape 083 to 261 Evansville I had a big sheet of ice slide off the lead box and onto the gear. Cut my airlines in two for the rear box. I could only imagine what that would have been like at full speed in ice/snow/traffic. Luckily I was on a 2 lane blacktop in the middle of nowhere at 2am.

Yeah, that would make a nice jacknife right down the middle of a 4 lane highway at rush hour? Ugh.

I find it hypocritical of PenDot to require that ice be removed form top of trailers and such,when they cant even get a road cleaned off due to some snow accumalation.Anyways,it doesnt matter cause when the next storm hits you wont be able drive onto the roads due to inaduequate snow removal.....im all for safety but some things dont make a lick of sense...like smokey says on the Geico commercial

I don't think I have ever seen an issue needing to be addressed moreso than this ! NOBODY wants to see or hear about anyone getting hurt with something like this . And as it was stated earlier : what to do if you pick up a trailer at an UNMANNED terminal at night . Personally I don't think the top of any trailer is a safe place for ANY employee to be trying to scrape snow off!

Thanks for that Docksteward, right now they're trying to rig a snow rake to pull snow off while standing on the ground. I'm no engineer, but if you could make a aluminum handle bend like that and withstand the forces involved, bet you could sell it at the truckstop...:)

The problem goes even deeper. A snow rake that you drive under will only take the loose snow off the top. Its the ice that has become welded (frozen) to the top of the trailers under the snow that the rake will not take off. This will only come off after running over enough bumps on the roads. And this is where the real danger is for other vehicles on the road. The laws need to be changed that the driver not be held accountable. No driver should climb up a latter on a trailer to remove the snow and ice. Thats a safety issue all in its self. All companys know that this is a huge problem. But with the laws holding the driver accountable, What are the companys going to do about it. NOTHING! The only solution I see is for the companys to hire vendors with boom trucks to remove the ice and snow. Not gonna happen. Catch 22 for us drivers. We can refuse trailers with ice and snow on top of them. But after a snow storm what are the chances you are going to get a trailer with out snow and ice on top of them. Maybe we could sit on the clock while waiting for the snow and ice to melt off. Not gonna happen.

stuck in lancaster,pa last wk company(with union intervention) had us drive sets thru garage and mechanics cleaned ice off trailers , took over 3 hrs clock time. its your b#t if you go out gate and drop ice on anyone. p.s. penndot is horrible when it comes to snow removal

That's what i do take it to the shop let them deal with it that way when you write it up as a safety violation let the shop put their signature on that vcr saying it's cool to move that way you're not held acct for this.....:1036316054:

I wonder why they can't rig up a sprayer with the de-icer type stuff they use on windshields. Bet that would work , as long as it doesn't become an issue with hazardous waste !

Progress is a double-edged sword. At 188 we used to have indoor bays to load, but they filled them in for more dock space and doors. Now all trls outside...

Global warming might take care of it eventually...:)

Global warming is a funny topic.
The first part of winter up here in the cold snowy north.
Everyone was talking up the global warming issue.
When it got down to the negative zero temps,and we started getting hammered with snow.
Than we didn't hear anyother talk about global warming?
Must be the scientist are fair weather folks.
They more than likely go down south when it gets cold,and keep their mouths shut?

I'm all for global warming - being 1/2 mi. from the lake, I've got high hopes for lakefront property by the time I retire...! I sure won't ever make enough to buy it...