Trucker Killed In Ark.,when His Wheels Caught Fire & Blew Up Load Of Haz-mat

That explosion blew shrapnel into trees quite a distance away. I forgot which news station reported it. I think some firefighters were also injured by the blast even though they were not very close. I have wondered what caused the trailer brakes to lock up. I also wonder why he did not feel the drag on the trailer before the brakes got so hot. He was not a rookie.

I saw a Semi load of furniture burn to the trailer frame.
Because there was a flat tire on his back duels,he either didn't know he had.
Or if he knew but kept driving til it ignited,& caught the trailer floor on fire.
We all know burning rubber is one of the hardest fires to put out.

However not knowing you have a flat,is a lot different then brakes hanging up.
I know I could feel the drag in the winter months when my brakes were frozen going out on my route.

I saw a Semi load of furniture burn to the trailer frame.
Because there was a flat tire on his back duels,he either didn't know he had.
Or if he knew but kept driving til it ignited,& caught the trailer floor on fire.
We all know burning rubber is one of the hardest fires to put out.

However not knowing you have a flat,is a lot different then brakes hanging up.
I know I could feel the drag in the winter months when my brakes were frozen going out on my route.

I guess I assumed the brakes locked up & caused the fire. It may have been a tire that got hot. Anybody that has tried to put out burning rubber knows how difficult that is. Normally the DOT/ Arkansas Highway Police investigates truck accidents. I don't know if there was enough of the trailer left intact to determine the cause of the fire. This driver was experienced so he should have known if he had a tire or brakes smoking.
If I hear anymore about the cause of the fire I will advise TB.

We had an ammunition truck do this in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield. Back then the trans units used triaxle and tandem axle flatbeds with wood floors. An inside dual got hot on one of the triaxles, smoke didn't get noticed because of blowing sand and gusty winds until it was too late . Guys got the unit stopped but by that time tire was smoldering good, we think it melted oil seal as there was a lot of black smoke for a short time then we think it had heated the metal components of trailer to the point that when the wood floor caught , BOOM. Luckily everyone had pulled back by that time , but it left a crater just like that one.

RIP driver .