FedEx Freight | So how is FedEx Freight as a company to work for?

Please at least give it a try .
You really can't go wrong.
If anything you will make some great friends too.

I worked for con-way for almost 9 years ,quit to come to Af/fxf been here almost 7 years and I am still happy.I would choose fxf.

futuretrucker1234 said:
I know truck driving school does not take a year. :)

With the large number of people applying for it I not even sure if I will make it to the interview, but I'm hoping anyway.

Applying on the first day there were at least 8-10 others that applied also. 5 days this week so probably 50 people I'm competing against for this job. Lots of fun.
So, are you willing to invest a year to show that you are serious about long term employment with the company? No one in their right mind would expend the resources to certify a driver that might just walk out the door the next day in order to maybe get a better position now that he or she had their CDL. A trucking school is quicker, yes, but are you willing to spend the $3000 or $4000 for it only to go to work for some OTR company at 30cpm or less and literally live in a truck. Go check out Swift, they will train you for free in exchange for a two year commitment. After training, you get to live in a truck with a trainer and work for peanuts for the first six weeks. If you quit before your two years, guess what, you get to pay $4000. Working the dock for a year might not be such a bad option. Out here in the west, people willing to put in the time off shift can learn to hostle which would give you a leg up and some good experience.
JMHO

Here's how you do it

Get your foot in the door by becoming a DOCK worker...Save your money and don't pay to learn how to drive. Out west we have the earn while you learn program. We will teach you everything you need to know about driving. Depends on how bad you want to drive...but I've heard that you can work the dock for 6-9months and then get into driving. GOOD LUCK

Okay okay I get it. :)

Dock work can't be too bad I suppose.
Just concerned about the money with doing that, I know drivers gets paid more.

Really I don't care what I do I just need to get some hours. If I'm only working 20 or so hours a week it would not be worth it.

Now all that is left to do is get hired.

Oh yea anyone know about the benefits? Like health insurance and such and when it becomes available.

You will be all good with what we have to offer when it comes to that. It is all there for you , health insurance , life insurance , ect.

I say go for it as well..

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to any over the road truck driving training companies. You will end up quiting and have to pay them back and they will put it on your DAC report.Many more reasons to list why NOT to..just don't do it..:soapbox:

The FEDEX freight dock/CDL program is a real good thing to do...:cool:

princess said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT go to any over the road truck driving training companies. You will end up quiting and have to pay them back and they will put it on your DAC report.Many more reasons to list why NOT to..just don't do it..:soapbox:

Yes I know this, and that is why I trying to get into LTL but so are many drivers in OTR so it isn't easy. :(

I'm not getting my hopes up yet on this, still have not had an interview yet. :duh:

Sell yourself man !!!
You can do it !!!
We all have faith in you and want to know how it goes.

Not much to sell is the problem. :(
Worked the same job 7 years then got fired.
Spent 2 months trying to get into another job.
Got job finally and now decided to get into LTL trucking.

I come from a family of truck drivers.
Grandfather
grandfather's brother
at least 3 uncles
my dad

So I should have no problems driving, or they will kill me. :lol::chairshot:

Mac said:
No OT in East for Road Drivers.

Sure ya do. Hooks and fuel do not count towards ot, but if you are on a short run and get over 8/40hrs of dock time you will get ot. But I dont think I would want that much dock time to make a few extra $$$$$$$$:duh:

Usually takes about 15 minutes to hook a set (paid 30) Takes 10 minutes to fuel (paid 15) Takes 15 minutes to drop a set (paid 30) So the work takes 40 minutes and were paid 1 1/4 hours for it seems to constitute some sort of overtime daily to me anyway.

futuretrucker1234 said:
I know truck driving school does not take a year. :)

With the large number of people applying for it I not even sure if I will make it to the interview, but I'm hoping anyway.

Applying on the first day there were at least 8-10 others that applied also. 5 days this week so probably 50 people I'm competing against for this job. Lots of fun.
Do what you need to do, hopefully others at fxf will agree it depends on where you put your app. in at as to how fast you get your CDL and from there how fast you get to the road. Hopefully you are going to hire in a facility that is in one of the busy freight lanes, cause that is where most of your growth is. You really want to hire in a busy hub or large metropoliton area so you ahve the best chance on moving quickly to get your CDL.:wavey:

I'm with you on this Momoney.
The guys I see doing Dock to Driver are doing the whole thing in a year . I watch a real green kid (did not even know how to preform on the dock) go to being a road driver with a assigned Volvo (not to to low R#) in a year.

Inthe Northeast ( and probably all over) here's the deal. You have to (as a show of good faith) work a mandatory 60 days on the dock before you can begin the driver apprentice program. dock work is not evil, just try and keep a good attitude ( some trailers were loaded right, others will be a nightmare) but you will get through it. There is overtime after 8/40, we have one very ambitious road driver that gets it on a fairly regular basis. Truck driving schools in this area were $3000 when I went 19 years ago, now they are well over double that. As far as a place to work...been here 2 years, and as anywhere else that I've been there are little things that bug me. However, overall I am very happy and hope to one day retire from here. Good luck, hope this helps you decide.