So I got hit today

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
I was driving my dad's mini van home and somebody in an older used Mercedes Benz went left of center and sideswiped me and now the insurance company wants to total my dads van. The people who hit me were not nice innocent people they were bad people very bad people, however they did have insurance oddly enough from a reputable insurance company and didn't deny the accident being there fault. Nobody was hurt or injured trust me on that one.
I was the only one in the car at the time thank goodness, the police did show and they towed and impounded the other parties car, I was amazed it wasn't stolen. Well now my dad has to look for a new car and he wasn't prepared to do that. Happy new year...

I was driving my dad's mini van home and somebody in an older used Mercedes Benz went left of center and sideswiped me and now the insurance company wants to total my dads van. The people who hit me were not nice innocent people they were bad people very bad people, however they did have insurance oddly enough from a reputable insurance company and didn't deny the accident being there fault. Nobody was hurt or injured trust me on that one.
I was the only one in the car at the time thank goodness, the police did show and they towed and impounded the other parties car, I was amazed it wasn't stolen. Well now my dad has to look for a new car and he wasn't prepared to do that. Happy new year...
and now...you have an accident on your record as well, and either your insurance or your dad's will take a spike in premiums....

yeah..happy new year..

one word of advice...get a lawyer....no matter what...they can STILL find a way to sue you.........trust me on that one......

do a look up on either Kelly blue book...(kbb.com) or blackbook.com, and find the used car value of your dad's mini van, then subtract about $300 to $1,000 for a total he will get.....

......and find the used car value of your dad's mini van, then subtract about $300 to $1,000 for a total he will get.....
There's another clause in the "Totaled figure" in that price depends upon AGE & CONDITION of vehicle.
- - - -
Not such a "happy new year" anyway since my Mother-in-law died 2 weeks gone and me Brother-in-law is in Hospital with two broken right leg bones and some nasty infection and to be operated on sometime latter next week to mend the bones.
- - - -
Mike, Hope everything with you and yer Father gets better.

I have heard that when they total your vehicle you can argue or "negotiate" its value and get more than they offer you. Look around and see what that vehicle is going for and tell them that their number is low. Non chargeable accidents don't go against me with my insurance companies.

WOW! Not good. Is your spine hurting yet? Your lawyer needs to know...

Well Mike J you were very blessed the vehicle that hit you stopped & owned the crash.

I live in a very small rural village in NY state,the main street has a narrow bridge over the barge Canal.
It is just wide enough for 2 cars to pass each other without hitting.
2 winters in a row I had an SUV the first year & pickup the next year knock off my pickups drivers door mirror.
Both times each one went over center,& kept going on their merry way.
Each mirror cost me $130.00 as I have $500.00 deductible,so the cost was on me.

I'm sure everything should work out for you if the one who hit you has insurance.

I have heard that when they total your vehicle you can argue or "negotiate" its value and get more than they offer you. Look around and see what that vehicle is going for and tell them that their number is low. Non chargeable accidents don't go against me with my insurance companies.
you then are lucky. back in 2009, i had a non-chargeable motorbike wreck.

i wanted to switch back then (like 2 years after that accident) to a new auto
you then are very lucky. back in 2009, i had a motorbike wreck. i had an insurance co. for that.

i was not at fault.

then about 2 years later, i wanted to switch my car insurance (it was a different carrier form the bike insurance) over to the company that has my home insurance, to save some money.

they did a check on my DMV, saw the bike wreck from the previous 2 years...

i was gonnabe "banged big time" in premiums, for the accident, even though, it clearly showed on my DMV, no fault.....

this accident, even though no fault on Mike J's part, will be on his DMV, as he was driving, and can indeed bang him on his next review. best he find out now. his dad's insurance may very well take a spike as well.......

it's the way it is, in some parts of the country...maybe where i live, BIG city..this is the norm, in "farmland", maybe not so much, as the amount of cars on the roads, will never equal to those in the BIG cities, and i do believe Mike J, lives in more of a city, than a "farming" area.....

you then are lucky. back in 2009, i had a non-chargeable motorbike wreck.

i wanted to switch back then (like 2 years after that accident) to a new auto

you then are very lucky. back in 2009, i had a motorbike wreck. i had an insurance co. for that.

i was not at fault.

then about 2 years later, i wanted to switch my car insurance (it was a different carrier form the bike insurance) over to the company that has my home insurance, to save some money.

they did a check on my DMV, saw the bike wreck from the previous 2 years...

i was gonnabe "banged big time" in premiums, for the accident, even though, it clearly showed on my DMV, no fault.....

this accident, even though no fault on Mike J's part, will be on his DMV, as he was driving, and can indeed bang him on his next review. best he find out now. his dad's insurance may very well take a spike as well.......

it's the way it is, in some parts of the country...maybe where i live, BIG city..this is the norm, in "farmland", maybe not so much, as the amount of cars on the roads, will never equal to those in the BIG cities, and i do believe Mike J, lives in more of a city, than a "farming" area.....
Whenever a insurance company is involved, its the norm. Big business follows big business.

Will see what happens it doesn't help me in the insurance world that's for sure.
no, and it does not help you in the hiring world as well. for the next x number of years this stays on your DMV, when they ask..."accidents"? use a separate piece of paper to explain.

some companies demand a police report as well, so best to pay for those (i'd get at least 2 copies), and have them on standby, even IF you stay at your current employer for life.

always better to be prepared, rather than go nutsy-cuckoo later on...

Well then Mike J are you happy you came to this message board seeking help for your crash experience?
Were you able to weed out a little good advice,or do you feel worse then if you hadn't asked any of us about your dilemma?

Over all there is a lot of good information about the trucking industry,however information of other subjects,not so much.
As much as we all are more than willing to help our fellow truckers,you really have to weed out the good & bad advice.
I for one do hope you feel good about posting here,& I pray that everything works out for you.

So far it's been okay, I told them what happened at work, they were fairly unconcerned they wanted to know for just regular talking reasons, but as far as official business stuff, they didn't seem to care at all.

I know though like at my company, if you get a DUI and your in the transportation department and you get a DUI in your car off duty your automatically fired. Also if you get a speeding ticket even if it's in your personal car they mark that against you on your personnel record.

Sorry to say MIKE J thats the reason the CDL came about,so's they could nail any professional driver no matter what they were driving.
Or where they drove.

Back in the days before CDL's some truck load cross country drivers could have drivers licenses in several states.
If they lost one of their licenses with to many violations,or one major,they could still drive on the other ones.

The CDL stopped that practice because all of the states are in one data base.
So if you mess-up,no matter what,or where you drive your stuck.