ODFL | So where are we going?

Redeemed

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok, its time for one of those opinion post about what the future holds. Near future or far it does not matter. What issues do you think will affect us the most. What do you predict? Everybody get your crystal balls out and get your prophecy in early.

H.O.S? I keep hearing rumors that we are going back to the old hours of service and that some big changes could come of it. Mainly in long schedules that can not be made in less than 10 hours. What do you think will happen?

Economy? The economy is getting another shock from the housing sector. If people are having such a hard time paying their mortgage can they buy other stuff? Will that affect freight levels for us?

Hiring new drivers? Are your terminals still hiring? From what I hear our teriminal still is. And it is starting to hurt with not enough freight. Does OD know something we don't and the drivers are needed, or, are we going into a slow season packed with too many drivers?

Slow season? You experienced guys especially jump in here. Do you think freight will slow down big time this winter or will we stay steady? I have heard arguments to support both sides.

Winter weather? Does this hot summer mean a bad icy winter? Or are you in the global warming crowd that thinks bermuda shorts and flip-flops will be the thing to wear this winter?

If you have other issues that you think might make an effect then put them on too. Mexican drivers, cost of fuel, Doing business with China, etc, etc.

We've been having to look for volunteers who want days off towards the end of every week now for the past 3 months. I think this winter some of the low sen. guys and new hires will be sitting or looking for new work unfortunately. There's a lot of competition out there and not as much freight as in previous years. Should be interesting to see what happens to the housing market. I'm hoping the prices of homes will drop down along with vehicles. They throw $40k around for a new car/truck like it's nothing these days.

Hi Redeemed
For Questions and Answers on H.O.V. and Mexican drivers go to
GENERAL TRUCK DRIVERS FORUM
ATA appeals to keep existing US HoS regulations
and
Mexican trucking lines granted complete access to US roads (ABC 7 El Paso)

here we go again with the rumors
:hide: :hide:

Rumors are an important form of communication in the freight business.They're used to start conversations,kill time,or test the waters,rarely to pass information. Most of the time a good rumor is more interesting than the truth anyway. And they're fast,never saw a slow rumor.

GBO sent some manpower to Rialto a while back,don't know if they were short help or had that much work.The department stores are already cleaning out and setting up for Christmas and this is not even the middle of September yet.If they don't have a good season hard times may be coming.Nobody knows,it's a wait and see.

Rumors are an important form of communication in the freight business.They're used to start conversations,kill time,or test the waters,rarely to pass information. Most of the time a good rumor is more interesting than the truth anyway. And they're fast,never saw a slow rumor.

good point:1036316054:

What happened to the for-sure thing of ABF becoming UPS? Boy whomeve started that one had a lot of followers in the spring.

Ok, its time for one of those opinion post about what the future holds. Near future or far it does not matter. What issues do you think will affect us the most. What do you predict? Everybody get your crystal balls out and get your prophecy in early.

H.O.S? I keep hearing rumors that we are going back to the old hours of service and that some big changes could come of it. Mainly in long schedules that can not be made in less than 10 hours. What do you think will happen?

Economy? The economy is getting another shock from the housing sector. If people are having such a hard time paying their mortgage can they buy other stuff? Will that affect freight levels for us?

Hiring new drivers? Are your terminals still hiring? From what I hear our teriminal still is. And it is starting to hurt with not enough freight. Does OD know something we don't and the drivers are needed, or, are we going into a slow season packed with too many drivers?

Slow season? You experienced guys especially jump in here. Do you think freight will slow down big time this winter or will we stay steady? I have heard arguments to support both sides.

Winter weather? Does this hot summer mean a bad icy winter? Or are you in the global warming crowd that thinks bermuda shorts and flip-flops will be the thing to wear this winter?

If you have other issues that you think might make an effect then put them on too. Mexican drivers, cost of fuel, Doing business with China, etc, etc.

HOS... the FMCSA will keep screwing with the HOS and our lives as they react to pressure and lawsuits from all sides. They didn't do anything for years because they knew it was going to create this mess we have now. I hate to give someone in gov't credit but someone actually knew that doing nothing was better than changing for the sake of change which is whee we are now.

The Economy... The economy is on a bigger rollercaster ride than ever before because it's now a bigger rollercaoster. It's also effected quickly by people's access to info and the media screaming the sky is falling every day. The Main St. economy of the working man in the US will continue to worsen as the economy for the workingman in developing nations rises. Big corporate world will always find a way to cut costs and labor is their big cost and our source of income.

The hiring game in the trucking business is related to my post on the economy. Hiring drivers that fill the need when you need them and starve to death when it's slow is how they can control some of their labor costs. Of course many quit but some do stick and it keeps their wheels turning. There always seems to be a pool to draw from as manufacturing dries up and people shift to trucking or another field. With the current influx of non professional immigrants the labor pool will stay full and they'll have plenty to draw from. There is and never will be a shortage of drivers like they talk about, just a shorteage of people willing to do what the companies want for what they're willing to pay.

Slow Freight... I think there will be another extreme dry time like Oct. last year, could last longer this year as business and the economy slump.

I'll leave predicting weather to the fools, they seem to do it so well. I hope I never see snow again unless it's on TV or in the movies.

as far as the hours of service please consider just who or what group keeps objecting to this rule or that rule and why.one side objects to the hours on the road -not safe-, and another group complains about how many more drivers will be needed because of this rule or that rule.nobody will be happy with all the rules so there will always be problems that someone will try to change.

I herd estes is lookin at bying ODFL

I don't know DubTee.We had a Prez that was playing hide and seek in the oval office with a girl half his age,they knocked the towers down,OBL is sending us home videos,and trucks from Mexico and farther are going to be running our roads like they own them.So I for one am saying nothing is impossible.You just never can tell anymore.

Yellow? Saia? Roadway...They're all thinking of buyin' Old "D". How's that for a rumor?:smilie_132: The Earl of Dominion will never give up!:toxic:

Yellow? Saia? Roadway...They're all thinking of buyin' Old "D". How's that for a rumor?:smilie_132: The Earl of Dominion will never give up!:toxic:

hmmm he asked fedex to buy the "D" before
they bought AF and VIKING !

and now DHL is snooping around for a carrier before fedex and ups closes the door on DHL.

rumor? I think not.:hide::hide:

So UPS and Fed-ex are thinking about buying DHL?

A: I don't think combined they would have that much money,maybe, but doubt it.

B: Every company in this forum has spun the rumor of being bought by them.

But hey, when your driving down the road and have nothing to do, I guess we have to come up with something to occupy our minds.

Drive safe, or else I might get hurt.