TForce | So you think UPS isn't serious about safety?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
I really feel sorry for anyone that has,any preventable accident,or any comp. injury this year.
My TM showed me the new 2007 monetary penalties that will be forfited from the terminal that said accident,or comp.claim is filed againest.
Its not a pretty thing,these fines being levied are going to be a very big drain on the terminals operating expences.

I'm seeing a lot more safety training these days compared to our once a month safety meetings in our past Overnite Transportation life.

Anyone involved in any unsafe act where they may have to take time off,and have the company pick up their medical costs.
As well as UPS fining their terminals Operating budget.

This after all the safety training we are receiving.
Well alls I can say is I really feel sorry for you,and I would not want to be in your shoes.

Yes UPS is very serious on preventing,and avoiding any kind of injury to any of us.

The old Overnite thinking is gone which was
(production,production,production),now its the new to us UPS Freighters (SAFETY,SAFETY, SAFETY).

This is the way UPS looks at their operation.
Any unsafe practise,with lost time,injury payments,and accident settlements can rub out a whole lot of revenue from a great many hours of production.

So here you go,out with the old Overnite way of thinking,and in with the new to us UPS way of moving freight ,safety first production second.

Well from what I'm seeing if push comes to shove.
UPS will shove the old Overnite ideas out of the way.
For the simple fact we are not called Overnite anymore.
We are now a division of UPS.
They didn't invest all of their money up to this point to allow Overnite,to keep doing things their old way.

If UPS wants us to be safe than we had better be safe,or may God have mercy on us for not focusing on what we are doing,to cause us an injury,or a preventable accident.

I really feel sorry for anyone that has,any preventable accident,or any comp. injury this year.
My TM showed me the new 2007 monetary penalties that will be forfited from the terminal that said accident,or comp.claim is filed againest.
Its not a pretty thing,these fines being levied are going to be a very big drain on the terminals operating expences.

I'm seeing a lot more safety training these days compared to our once a month safety meetings in our past Overnite Transportation life.

Anyone involved in any unsafe act where they may have to take time off,and have the company pick up their medical costs.
As well as UPS fining their terminals Operating budget.

This after all the safety training we are receiving.
Well alls I can say is I really feel sorry for you,and I would not want to be in your shoes.

Yes UPS is very serious on preventing,and avoiding any kind of injury to any of us.

The old Overnite thinking is gone which was
(production,production,production),now its the new to us UPS Freighters (SAFETY,SAFETY, SAFETY).

This is the way UPS looks at their operation.
Any unsafe practise,with lost time,injury payments,and accident settlements can rub out a whole lot of revenue from a great many hours of production.

So here you go,out with the old Overnite way of thinking,and in with the new to us UPS way of moving freight ,safety first production second.

OK, So the terminals should start to see money come in so that we will have speedy dry for the dock floors to prevent slip and falls? Also enough lighting in the parking lots to drop and hook safely? Also some maintenance for our equiptment? How about some new drive tires to get safely down the road in the snow and rain? How about not letting road drivers sit for 3-4 hours, this makes for an unsafe ride home. I could go on and on. Oh ya, How about these safety trainers that are just randomly picked regardless of there accident and injury records. I won't hold my breath!

One more thing, I am so sick of the preaching of safety, When we see results, You will see a positive attitude regarding safety. Everyone wants to be safe, But when the company shows no positive reaction regarding safety, How can they expect the employee to be positive.

Well as we all know a lot of these very issues you have brought up BusterNite, have gone on for who knows how long?
Our terminal is no different.

But now there are changes being made toward our safety in the future.

My TM is taking sugjestions from myself,and my co-workers to make our terminal a safer enviroment,and he is taking these ideas to heart.

All of our terminals have a long way to go.
But its nice to see that the TM's seem to know that UPS wants all of us to be safe,and they are willing to invest the money in our operation to achive the results they want.

I'm seeing my TM really wants to work with us for the general wellbeing of all of us.

I know you may not believe any of my posts on this thread,but the old Overnite,let it go attitude is slowly becoming history.

All our terminal managers know they had better get on board with UPS's way of thinking,or face the music, if something negative happens that could of been prevented due to their putting it off,or just plan forgetting about it.

Believe it or not we are now working for a different company,not just in name only.
They don't want to throw their money away on us.

Mind my words we are going to see changes made,for the good.

If not, everyone in management thats in the way of this progress will find they will be moved out of the way for someone thats willing to do what UPS wants.

I myself want to be part of the solution,instead of part of the problem.

All of this process starts with a good attitude.
Let the past go,we can't get it back.
Lets all work together to help UPS improve our company this year.

I will get off my soap box with this one last thought.

If you can look at the good you have in your life,and be thankful for it,you'll be able to overlook the bad that comes along.
But if your choice is to look at everything as being bad,it will be very hard for you to find anything that is good.

Well from what I'm seeing if push comes to shove.
UPS will shove the old Overnite ideas out of the way.
For the simple fact we are not called Overnite anymore.
We are now a division of UPS.
They didn't invest all of their money up to this point to allow Overnite,to keep doing things their old way.

If UPS wants us to be safe than we had better be safe,or may God have mercy on us for not focusing on what we are doing,to cause us an injury,or a preventable accident.
Yes I agree O is out and the UPS ideas are coming. At this point any change will improve the O ideas when it comes to safety and maintenance.

safety safety safety...we had 2 upsfreight wrecks thursday night between Reno and Las Vegas and one sleeper team driver fall asleep sat and hit the guard rail on I80 east of Winnemucca, NV...Thursday night ups turned over a set of triples near Tonopah, NV.. I get it sleeper teams means your suppose to be sleeping when your driving...UPS's safety plan is coming together.....

Webi, do any of these events have anything to do with the inclement weather you guys been having in that area? I hear from a resident that I talk to quite a bit that the roads in and out of Reno have been Icy.

I'm wide awake when I'm driving my sleeper truck. I just got 8 hours continuous sleep, I'm now checking my emails and chat sites and in 10 minutes I will be doing our last leg, Wide Awake.

safety safety safety...we had 2 upsfreight wrecks thursday night between Reno and Las Vegas and one sleeper team driver fall asleep sat and hit the guard rail on I80 east of Winnemucca, NV...Thursday night ups turned over a set of triples near Tonopah, NV.. I get it sleeper teams means your suppose to be sleeping when your driving...UPS's safety plan is coming together.....

That's what happens when these guys are sitting for hours upon hours waiting for freight. I can't even count the number of times I waited a couple of hours waiting for freight. Just to hook up to a set that's been there for a few hours. ****-poor planning.

we have senior drivers telling the new hires, you have to pee in a bottle so the truck dont stop. your not allowed to stop and take a break. when new hires are so stressed out because they have been belittled, and threatened, and verble assulted and treated like a floor mat, I could get graphic but wont. this would make anyone want to run team. havent seen saftey do anything about this or the "ATM . What a buddy system going on". this just makes me want to upchuck. i went to a so called trainer/safety person and nothing was done. it didnt meet his needs to move up the corp. ladder. Safety what saftey.

That's what happens when these guys are sitting for hours upon hours waiting for freight. I can't even count the number of times I waited a couple of hours waiting for freight. Just to hook up to a set that's been there for a few hours. ****-poor planning.

10-4 Could not have said it better myself.
This move by UPS is the make or break for terminal MGNT. UPS wants a profit and will stop at nothing to get it.

Our TM said he would rather see us call in sick than come in and get in a wreck on a day when we will not make much monies anyway, and I agree with that!!!!

SAFE ,SAFE, SAFE.

No they're not!!! The UPS terminals and package centers are interested in their bonus's period.
Just as you said in your post, the terminals and package centers will be fined "by UPS" so it will affect the bonus money to those locations.

No they're not!!! The UPS terminals and package centers are interested in their bonus's period.
Just as you said in your post, the terminals and package centers will be fined "by UPS" so it will affect the bonus money to those locations.

Yup, So please watch the vcr video on safety and then it ends there!

I do not feel that UPS is interested in my safety weather I am there or not!!!!

local776, are you a female? you don't sound like a man talking here. or are you of this new generation, they seemed to be stressed out by everything. and you were belittled? please dont shoot your co-driver or yourself for that matter. nobody can tell you to **** in a bottle so truck doesn't stop. and breaks are your choice, no company can tell you you can't stop at all , all night long. you should know that, you have a CDL, i take it ,so you should have read the laws and such.busting balls is part of being a new guy just about in any occupation you get into, in one way or another.surely there are a few senior men at your terminal you can get truthful answers from for any questions you might have, and ignore the ones who wont help.i assume you came there to work and make money, not to make friends.ask your road dispathcer who you can ask for help, i'm sure they would let you know who would give the right advice. also, curious about your handle, 776? you use a union type handle, yet you worry about alittle ball busting, if you were union you would know that pissing in bottle his crap!!

local776, are you a female? you don't sound like a man talking here. or are you of this new generation, they seemed to be stressed out by everything. and you were belittled? please dont shoot your co-driver or yourself for that matter. nobody can tell you to **** in a bottle so truck doesn't stop. and breaks are your choice, no company can tell you you can't stop at all , all night long. you should know that, you have a CDL, i take it ,so you should have read the laws and such.busting balls is part of being a new guy just about in any occupation you get into, in one way or another.surely there are a few senior men at your terminal you can get truthful answers from for any questions you might have, and ignore the ones who wont help.i assume you came there to work and make money, not to make friends.ask your road dispathcer who you can ask for help, i'm sure they would let you know who would give the right advice. also, curious about your handle, 776? you use a union type handle, yet you worry about alittle ball busting, if you were union you would know that pissing in bottle his crap!!

If this was infact true that a senior driver told a new hire or bottom man co-driver that he was not going to stop just because he had to go to the bathroom and that he had to pee in a bottle. It would have been the last time he said this. This was not a company thing it was an ignorant driver thing. I still can't believe any driver would stoop so low as to say such a thing. At any rate if it was to happen to me, As soon as we got to the next stop I would have called Central and tell them the situation and to send me a bus ticket because I will not ride in a truck under those circumstances. Believe me some one would have been fired over such a situation.

If this was infact true that a senior driver told a new hire or bottom man co-driver that he was not going to stop just because he had to go to the bathroom and that he had to pee in a bottle. It would have been the last time he said this. This was not a company thing it was an ignorant driver thing. I still can't believe any driver would stoop so low as to say such a thing. At any rate if it was to happen to me, As soon as we got to the next stop I would have called Central and tell them the situation and to send me a bus ticket because I will not ride in a truck under those circumstances. Believe me some one would have been fired over such a situation.

AAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

OK, I have read all the UPSF is serious about safety posts. So I thought for a second that I might see it in action. With this major ice storm I thought that maybe someone would make the call and say it was unsafe to be out on the roads and shut down the terminals or cancel the runs. I waited and waited and waited and no one ever called or said a word about it. It was buisness as usual. Allthough the swipe card read out did say to, Have a safe trip.