Social Security...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by a9faninnc, Nov 14, 2014.

1. fxstc07

fxstc07 Well-Known Member

Still hung up on that "investment" thing ?
    I am sure you have great trust in Wall Street and those you want to control your "possible" retirement.

pilot87 likes this.
  2. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Active Member

3. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

I get it,driver.Its like the soon retiring(or already retired),union employee.He loves the pension.

Im more like the guy that still has 20 to 30 years to pay into the pension.Excuse me for being somewhat skeptical.

4. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

I
    I'm in my 60s. SSI is a tax used for General Purposes. In today gone today. Backed by the same thing as our fiat money nothing but faith....

5. fxstc07

Because ALL the wars were not paid with cash, they were done on credit.
    Besides, it takes a long time to dig out of the mess Bush lite put us in.

pilot87 likes this.
  6. fxstc07

Sorry, I know many have years to go and may be skeptical. I understand that.
    I too, was in the same boat decades ago. I was told the company wouldn't survive ( it didn't ) and I moved on.
    I was told Social Security wouldn't be there ( it is ! ) for me.
    I heard the screams of chicken little telling me the sky is falling ( it hasn't yet ).
    Life is too short, enjoy what you have today, worry about the future of things you can't control when it happens.
    You won't change a thing in Washington. The lobbyists and corporate controllers have it all wrapped up.

pilot87 likes this.
  7. fxstc07

What is "fiat" money ?

8. Concrete Cowboy

Concrete Cowboy Active Member

Bush added $5 trillion to the national debt in 8 years, Obama has added $8 trillion to the debt in 6 years. I don't believe anyone is digging us out of anything, they're just digging a bigger hole.

Northern Flash likes this.
  9. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Money created, backed by nothing of value.

The Fed prints/ creates money digitally. Its value is determined only by the faith of people. There is no asset backing backing it

The Fed has been adding 85 billion a month to our economy for several years at Obama's request. Fiat money. Dilutes the value of dollars. Prices rise as the dollar is worth less.

Our government actually pondered making a platinum coin and calling it a one trillion dollar coin. Depositing it and saying we owe one trillion less. The Emperor isn't wearing clothes.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  10. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Are we paying the promised 127 trillion in Entitlements with cash? All the combined wealth of all the world's assets I'd about 60 trillion..

11. fxstc07

Where do you get these numbers ?
    However, my entitlement money comes each month thank you.
    Just not sure how you call something I put money into for 45 years an "entitlement" ?
    One calls it an investment, another calls it an entitlement ... which is it ?

pilot87 likes this.
  12. fxstc07

Yea, know all about the platinum coin.
    All of the worlds powers transfer money digitally. Get up to speed with the world economy. The Fed hasn't produced large currency bills since the 1940's, and those notes were only for use between banks and other governmental agency's.
    How else are they now going to transfer cash ?
    Courier pigeon ?

pilot87 likes this.
  13. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

My investment comment was in extreme sarcasm.Tax would be my word of choice regarding SS.

14. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

highly unlikely you invested 12.5% of your income

yes congress passed a law (remember when congress used to do such thing and not just a president with a phone and a pen) Reagan signed it on certain individuals capping it at 50%, then Billy, expanded the net to everyone and made it up to 85% taxable.

propaganda?
    try not paying your taxes, we shall see how much is propaganda and how much is reality. YOu don't pay you will go to jail. The only difference between Bernie and the Govt.

Barry ended the wars
    Debt doubled under Barry, how is that possible,
    the social welfare crap will bankrupt the nation generations before the military industrial complex does

15. fxstc07

Good, because it is a tax. I don't have a problem with it and didn't have for the last 49 years I have paid into it.

16. fxstc07

Don't understand what your saying ... again.
    The rate was not always 12.5%.
    Very good, now you understand that Reagan started the tax on Social Security. At least be honest and say that, not attempt to place the whole blame on another President.
    Yup ! Sounds about right to me.
    Never said I didn't pay my taxes. Always have and always will. That is how Government operates. You may not like all the taxes, and neither do I, but it is my duty to pay.
    In my opinion, you do listen to propaganda, you just feel they are telling you the truth.
    Who is Barry ?
    Never heard of him.
    Either way, maybe you should educate yourself beyond the propaganda you take in.
    Just a note, the military complex wastes more money then the social welfare system spends.
    Social Security and Medicare does not count into that equation since we pay separate taxes to fund those programs.
    I guess in your opinion there is no "Corporate" welfare either ?

pilot87 likes this.
  17. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

In 1937 and again in 1960 the Supreme Court called SSI a tax with no promise of any return. We all pay taxes. We aren't entitled to anything. SSI is wealth transferred from those still working to those who aren't. Pretty simple... And yes, I want some. But it can't last....

It all goes to and is spent by the General Fund. Its all been lumped together as one massive amount since Clinton's budget 'balance'( that wasn't)...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  18. fxstc07

And Social Security hasn't missed a payment to anyone in 77 years.
    I already agreed it is a tax.
    It's a tax meant for those that are incapable, not knowledgeable enough, or have not made enough ( or saved any ) earnings to retire at some point in their life.
    Again, I don't like all taxes but we live in a democracy meant to help all, not just a few.

pilot87 likes this.
  19. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

We aren't supposed to be a Democracy. Supposed to be a Representative Republic, with Senators representing their State Legislatures. SSI and BarryCare (his name was Barry Soetorro until after college) wouldn't have passed without Senators ignoring the will of their states.

Charity is supposed to care for the indigent. The Churches/ the People failed. We always had County Poor Houses for those who truly couldn't make it. Domestic programs were the charge of states and local government under our Constitution. The Federalis came to grab power since the influence of Marx, via Von Bismarck, to Teddy R and Wilson, to FDR. Been so long a transformation, our public thinks its 'American'...

20. fxstc07

Your Senators only represent the corporate lobbyists.
    If you want to complain, why not ask how we allow unprecedented amounts of money to flow into our elections.

Charity is what the average citizen can make of it.
    Most of us understand the government, states included, no longer care for those that can't.
    The mental hospitals are closed and the patients sent to the streets to live.
    People are hungry and sent to food kitchens run by charitable organizations.
    The Churches help, but how much can they provide ?
    Yet the wealth in this country, this world, is staggering.

I still believe in America, even if a few don't.
    Propaganda is in full swing via some select news channels and radio propagandists.

pilot87 likes this.