Solar Power?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

I just had a system installed and am dying to see how well it does. It is supposed to generate more electricity than the cost of the loan for the installation. My house has electric heat so I can really use the help.

8ySVpY1.jpg

Where do they come up with this stuff?
So do you have a battery bank that it charges? ?? How does it work?
No, they don't use batteries much anymore. The system is hooked to my service at the main feed inside the breaker box. There is a disconnect outside so emergency personnel can cut the power from the solar array if they need to. When there is more power being produced than is being used it feeds out into the grid and a tally is kept of my production. When I am using more than is being produced I just buy a little less. And, of course, at night I'm buying it. The electric company gives me back 1 kWh for every 1 I have banked free of charge and I buy theirs at the regular price, which is about $.121 per kWh. At the end of the year if I have made more than I use they do give me something for it but I am not sure how much they give, I'm sure it's not too much.

No, they don't use batteries much anymore. The system is hooked to my service at the main feed inside the breaker box. There is a disconnect outside so emergency personnel can cut the power from the solar array if they need to. When there is more power being produced than is being used it feeds out into the grid and a tally is kept of my production. When I am using more than is being produced I just buy a little less. And, of course, at night I'm buying it. The electric company gives me back 1 kWh for every 1 I have banked free of charge and I buy theirs at the regular price, which is about $.121 per kWh. At the end of the year if I have made more than I use they do give me something for it but I am not sure how much they give, I'm sure it's not too much.
I live up north where the doesn't shine a whole bunch. .... I would like to do something along that line.... I'm thinking wind would work better for me.

I live up north where the doesn't shine a whole bunch. .... I would like to do something along that line.... I'm thinking wind would work better for me.
I don't think that you're a whole lot further north than I am. You can find your local installer and get information on the cost effectiveness of it. Get your numbers in writing and keep them in the event they mislead you.

I don't think that you're a whole lot further north than I am. You can find your local installer and get information on the cost effectiveness of it. Get your numbers in writing and keep them in the event they mislead you.
I live on the shore line of Lake erie. ..dreerie erie. But that is a good idea and worth shot.

Have you got a website about this new stuff? I was under the impression the power made had to be stored in batteries also.

There is a contact lens manufacture in Rochester,NY which has installed solar in a field next to their plant.

http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/go-green/go-green-bausch-lomb-solar-panels
They are more and more common as time goes on. We have a manufacturer here who has a small field of panels on the section of their property that they weren't using too.
Have you got a website about this new stuff? I was under the impression the power made had to be stored in batteries also.
Here's the outfit that I used and their page on how it works.
http://exactsolar.com/solar-electric.html

If you don't mind telling us....about how much did your system go for? Looks like you have a lot of panels on the roof. ... and the other stuff involved can't be cheap.

If you don't mind telling us....about how much did your system go for? Looks like you have a lot of panels on the roof. ... and the other stuff involved can't be cheap.
I have 72 panels on the roof, the max that that side of the roof will hold. They are supposed to produce about 2000 kWh of electric per month. The complete cost of the system is about $46,000 dollars and there is some hardware inside the garage. There is a 30% tax credit so net to me is about $33,000. I borrowed the money with a home equity line of credit and the loan payment will be $180 per month or so. 2000 kWh costs $240 or so here so there should be a $60/month positive cash return on it. Of course it's raining now, it is winter with low sun angle and short days, so it is producing almost nothing right now. Sunny days are coming soon and I'm dying to see the difference. My house is pretty big and has electric heat. It is also new to me and I have been unable to ascertain a genuine electric usage history (long story) so I don't know how much I will really use. I do believe that I will still need to buy some electricity from the utility due to the electric heat. If there is any surplus I will receive a check of some sort at the end of their fiscal year.

Wow. ...I would of thought it would have cost a lot more than that. ...that is a good size system. .. thanks for the info

Wow. ...I would of thought it would have cost a lot more than that. ...that is a good size system. .. thanks for the info
You're welcome. Prices have come down substantially, not too long ago those panels were $1,000 each and their efficiency has improved as well. After doing the math I couldn't not do it having that roof there, facing the southwest, with no trees shading it.

You're welcome. Prices have come down substantially, not too long ago those panels were $1,000 each and their efficiency has improved as well. After doing the math I couldn't not do it having that roof there, facing the southwest, with no trees shading it.
too bad there wasn't any mention of you wiring up your driveway, to melt the snow/ice in winter time. or have your downspouts heated to prevent ice dams.

if i could hit the lottery, and have to stay here in New England (unlikely after a big hit), i'd have my entire driveway, and walkway's heated, as well as the garage floor. come winter time, no need for big snow removal equipment.

but then again, i'll never make a big hit, have to stay here and shovel my way back to civilization one scoop at a time. that is, if i forget to get gasoline for the machines. and if my back holds out.

I'll be keeping in touch with this thread topic.
I have less than 7 grand to go on my mortgage,should be paid off mid summer.
Then I'm going to get an equity loan to get my own system.
It won't be as big as yours ABFer.
However I have a 2 story house with one roof facing south which should work dandy for my 2 bedroom 1 bath house.
I also have a 2 story barn with an 60 foot attached horse stable which shouldn't take to many panels for lights.
So if this thread goes bust before I'm ready I'll touch base with you ABFer to see how yours is working.

I'll be keeping in touch with this thread topic.
I have less than 7 grand to go on my mortgage,should be paid off mid summer.
Then I'm going to get an equity loan to get my own system.
It won't be as big as yours ABFer.
However I have a 2 story house with one roof facing south which should work dandy for my 2 bedroom 1 bath house.
I also have a 2 story barn with an 60 foot attached horse stable which shouldn't take to many panels for lights.
So if this thread goes bust before I'm ready I'll touch base with you ABFer to see how yours is working.
My array is as big as it is because I am 100% electric here and it's a pretty big house. A competent installer will ask you for your electric usage summary and tell you what you need. Yesterday was the first clear day since the installation and it generated something like $5.50 worth of electricity. I am trying to find how that compares with what it would do in the summer with longer days and more direct sunlight. So far no data available. The longer you wait, the cheaper and more efficient the panels will be and that is ongoing. i e between the time I contacted the installer and the time they installed the set up there were cheaper panels available, which are more efficient and have the same warrantee. These were made in Italy and I am OK with Italian merchandise, not too keen on Chinese and there is a lot of their stuff on the market.

My array is as big as it is because I am 100% electric here and it's a pretty big house. A competent installer will ask you for your electric usage summary and tell you what you need. Yesterday was the first clear day since the installation and it generated something like $5.50 worth of electricity. I am trying to find how that compares with what it would do in the summer with longer days and more direct sunlight. So far no data available. The longer you wait, the cheaper and more efficient the panels will be and that is ongoing. i e between the time I contacted the installer and the time they installed the set up there were cheaper panels available, which are more efficient and have the same warrantee.

These were made in Italy and I am OK with Italian merchandise, not too keen on Chinese and there is a lot of their stuff on the market.

some great marble comes from Italy as well as terracotta.

some home builders import such stone for the expensive homes here.

some great marble comes from Italy as well as terracotta.

some home builders import such stone for the expensive homes here.
They have some neat cars too...oh yea, then they make Fiat's too! :hilarious: