Estes | Some Estes/GI Photos from Nevada

JimmyB

TB Lurker
Credits
Thought some might enjoy looking at some Estes/GI photos from the "Silver State" way out west:

Estes Gallery

My son works for Estes, and I work for Yellow, which is right next door.

Jimmy B

no doubt those ae great pics

i need to get a camera like that 1 for my fish tank pics :)

great shots!!!!!!!!!!

I went to your Nevada LTL gallery, some very nice pictures. I have some pictures of the Saia terminal shortly after it was built and opened by Willig Freight Lines in 1981.

I went to your Nevada LTL gallery, some very nice pictures. I have some pictures of the Saia terminal shortly after it was built and opened by Willig Freight Lines in 1981.

I'd sure like to see them...

I work with a guy that was with Willig at the Sparks Terminal until it closed, he then went to CF and when they closed he came to Yellow. He's going to retire next month.

Jimmy B

Jimmy B,

I will try to scan those pictures and send them to you. I also have a picture of a set of triples in front of the State House in Carson City. I might have already posted it on David Fausts site on Hanks.

As far as the other gentleman who said who cares, LTL trucking has a great history and terminals are "living" proof of a time when trucking companies competed on service not wild discounts. I've always been proud to be a second generation Willig employee.

If I find more pictures I will try to send them.

Willigkid

Jimmy B,

I will try to scan those pictures and send them to you. I also have a picture of a set of triples in front of the State House in Carson City. I might have already posted it on David Fausts site on Hanks.

As far as the other gentleman who said who cares, LTL trucking has a great history and terminals are "living" proof of a time when trucking companies competed on service not wild discounts. I've always been proud to be a second generation Willig employee.

Willigkid

Hey Willigkid, You should be proud to be an x Willig driver. I cut my driving teeth watching and listening to the old timers that used to drive those blue and yellow trucks. Learned a lot from Willig, Di Salvo, Milen, Cme, System 99, Pie, etc. I got to know quite a few line drivers back in the day from Willig. Porky pig, Bee Ville, Sleepin Jesus, Perfect Pete, High gear, etc. If you were green, and you did something stupid, they would let you know about it. On the job training, so to speak. What happened to those great days? A great bunch of guys that knew how to drive. And at high speeds I might add! Ha, Ha. Remember the smiling clocks on the back of the trailers. Guaranteeing delivery by noon? Good times.... Before deregulation, before the jippos ruined ltl with their cut throat rates,freight was moved by those great companys that could deliver freight on time and undamaged. And provide top shelf pay and benefits to their employees. Imagine that..........Anyone have a time machine?

Jimmy B,

Willigkid

That would be so nice of you, thanks so much. I correspond with Dave and also exchange photos. I'd planned on doing a monthly "blast from the past" page on my site, any photos you could send my way would be just great. Dave also said he'd help with photos for that feature.

When Willig was building that terminal in Sparks I was working for Thrifty Drug as a line driver...

Jimmy B

Hey Willigkid, You should be proud to be an x Willig driver. I cut my driving teeth watching and listening to the old timers that used to drive those blue and yellow trucks. Learned a lot from Willig, Di Salvo, Milen, Cme, System 99, Pie, etc. I got to know quite a few line drivers back in the day from Willig. Porky pig, Bee Ville, Sleepin Jesus, Perfect Pete, High gear, etc. If you were green, and you did something stupid, they would let you know about it. On the job training, so to speak. What happened to those great days? A great bunch of guys that knew how to drive. And at high speeds I might add! Ha, Ha. Remember the smiling clocks on the back of the trailers. Guaranteeing delivery by noon? Good times.... Before deregulation, before the jippos ruined ltl with their cut throat rates,freight was moved by those great companys that could deliver freight on time and undamaged. And provide top shelf pay and benefits to their employees. Imagine that..........Anyone have a time machine?

Man, All those names sure bring back memories. Half the drivers out here never even heard of most of those companies. I think we are all getting over the hill.:1036316054:

Hey Skeeter I got my start in the LTL trucking industry in 1966 my first company was a union company Eazor Express home office Sunbury PA.
There were around 3500 Teamster union companies right up till deregulation around 1980.
Then the big three Roadway,Yellow,and Consolidated Freightways started discounting the old fixed regulated LTL freight rates.
Than the smaller companies couldn't afford to stay in business.
They started going under.
Now here we are 27 years later,and you can count the Teamster union LTL trucking companies on one hand.
A lot of the old LTL companies I worked for are long gone,and just names in the history records of past LTL companies that used to be in business.
Who'd of thunk it?

Man, All those names sure bring back memories. Half the drivers out here never even heard of most of those companies. I think we are all getting over the hill.:1036316054:

Hey Skeeter, I don't know if we are over the hill yet, but we can defenitely see the summit! Is it the cb handles that bring back the memories or the Companys? Probably both. It sure was a better day for trucking any way. Much more road ethics in those days. You knew that most guys that shared the road with you were for the most part, experienced and courteous. A little blast from the past.... The grapevine with no sand traps. Or freeway (before my time) 99 with traffic lights. Real fog in the valley from the bottom of the hill to Sacramento. Two lanes through Pacheko Pass to the 101, Jogging through a detour in Gilroy untill the freeway was built.

Elvis,

I had to laugh about the speed thing. We were always told by the CHP that the only thing that would pass a Greyhound bus in valley fog was a Willig truck. And Jimmy B., I will work on getting those pictures, I have a bunch of them, Willig, Delta, Nielsen.

Willigkid

Eazor Pittsburgh Pa--- Halls---Sunbury Pa where mattjm was born. Sorry oldtimer your memory is starting to slip.:smilie_132: :smilie_132: