XPO | Some more Scuttlebutt!

75% of our outbound is done by full time dock workers and our damages are actually pretty low. I believe the TM said .6 in the last meeting. We've been interviewing for more dock help and a couple of drivers.

Over time things have gotten better as far as performance of the dock workers. Fewer damages and better loads.

Over time things have gotten worse as far as performance of the drivers. A lot of standing around and doing nothing going on. And after some drivers get done loading a trailer half of it still shows on the dock. Look at the history and they never even scanned it let alone scanned it to the trailer.

That was done the Con-way. Maybe the XPO version will have more traction.
I would like to believe that, but I'm not convinced. We had to do the loading training and sign the sheet saying we were responsible for intentional damages and Misloads. No discipline, nothing.

I would like to believe that, but I'm not convinced. We had to do the loading training and sign the sheet saying we were responsible for intentional damages and Misloads. No discipline, nothing.

Exactly. Con-way dropped the ball. Let's see what XPO does.

A drive came into the breakroom this week saying that we are getting a $1 hr raise.
Anyone else hear this

A drive came into the breakroom this week saying that we are getting a $1 hr raise.
Anyone else hear this
I wish we would hear SOMETHING! Everytime there's some type of communication , it seems like the top executives work to shut it down.

At our location peddle drivers have had customers tell them that we cut their rates to get freight ( we have been blown out with freight the past few weeks )

At our location peddle drivers have had customers tell them that we cut their rates to get freight ( we have been blown out with freight the past few weeks )

We seem to have quite a bit more freight than usual this time of year also. Our TM made the comment that our business levels are up about 20% from this time last year.

Anyone else hear this

Have heard a bunch of ::shit::.

1. We are buying YRC. Not the whole thing. They will keep the money making part of the business. The Holland etc side of the business. XPO will buy the Yellow/Roadway part. It's unprofitable and so laden with debt that you can get it for pennies on the dollar. XPO will buy it to close it and piece out the equipment and buildings to it's various entities. XPO wants to grow and Con-ways terminals are small and old. Building new terminals is expensive and takes time. Remodeling existing terminals is expensive and takes time. This solves a host of dilemmas for XPO.

2. We are losing vacation. Capped at 5 weeks. What's not yet clear is if it will be for new hires or for all. They have tiers of employees at this point and some " legacy " benefits remain. So, I dunno. But that seems to be a big thing. To many people with to much time off available. I guess there are a bunch of guys capped on PTO and have been for a long time. I don't have that problem personally. Just what I heard.

3. Wages will increase. Haven't heard any numbers. But it is clear that no one wants to work here. People are quitting. A lot of people. They ruined the health care some more after giving us some story about buying power and things will be better. A lot of people leaving the company. Drivers, shop, dock hands, management. Man FOSs are hard to come by. A lot of drivers and dock hands running sectors. So many people leaving. Supposedly wages will be addressed. Not holding my breath. And fully expecting to be disappointed.

4. The union ::shit:: is pissing them off. Changes to operations are possible. With so much union talk going around it will be hard to contain or avoid. But I hear they are going to try. Whatever that means. Really not sure. But they sure as ::shit:: ain't happy about any of it. Theories range from splitting the boards. Going to gate times on loads. Only using drivers to drive. This could really mean anything or nothing. But that's the scuttlebutt.

I wish we would hear SOMETHING! Everytime there's some type of communication , it seems like the top executives work to shut it down.

Around here we have been plenty busy as well. It's a good thing. But information is impossible to get straight from the source. Everyone is shocked when they know more about our company than we do.

A lot of our problems seem to truly come from poor management. We can blame it on dockworkers or drivers not doing their jobs correctly but if they were supervised directly most issues would be eliminated.

We heard from our TM that no driver will make more than $80,000 a yr is the goal of the company . He also told the President of our local that also. Please don't shoot the messenger .

We heard from our TM that no driver will make more than $80,000 a yr is the goal of the company . He also told the President of our local that also. Please don't shoot the messenger .

Unfortunately, I probably believe this. I hope it isn't true though. I honestly don't care if I top out at $80k as long as I actually have the runs and work to make $80k.

This. This is the only reason were busy. I don't know if they actually did cut rates but I absolutely believe they did and if they didn't we'd be sitting ducks.

This. This is the only reason were busy. I don't know if they actually did cut rates but I absolutely believe they did and if they didn't we'd be sitting ducks.
I've heard this more than once secondhand , but haven't been able to confirm.

I'll say this: there's ZERO incentive for a customer to say this to a driver , so I believe it , from what I've seen.

Even Con-way had tried to limit the number of drivers making so much. On LH it's almost impossible to stop. To many miles and not enough help. We are all making more than that. In the city it is now rare. They have some long days and a lot of short days. Early starts get kicked out.

For many, this would be an unacceptable situation. And there would be many more that leave. If something like this does happen we will get seriously lean on drivers. To many jobs out there. And this nonsense is only worth it if you are getting paid enough to tolerate it.