Estes | Some p&d info

Seebs

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys,

Just been curious about getting some more info on p&d. My barn is pretty desperate for city guys and I've toyed with making the switch.

Some pretty rough info online on how p&d is but you hear a lot of complaints. Just curious more what drivers think and what a typical day might be like.

Cut in pay. Harder work. I don't know why anybody works in the city at this company.

Well I'm currently a jockey so I already make less and work my ass off.

I already have my CDL and drove about 6 years ago or so. I just kind of lost my nerves with it and was thinking p&d might be a good way to work myself back into driving.

Ah. I assumed you were a line driver. My bad. Yeah P&D would be a good way to get back behind the wheel.

I've never been a city driver, but I've helped out a few times. It's not that bad if you don't mind dealing with people. Hopefully a real city guy will chime in and let you know what to expect.

I’ve toyed with the idea of going P&D (I’m linehaul and run a schedule). I did P&D for SEFL back in the day and didn’t really mind it. I just feel like a change in pace would be nice. Sleep at nights for once. Not a whole lot of options for schedules at my term and xtraboard is out of the question.

Our terminal bids on start times. Guys come in from anywhere between 5am and noon. Most of the drivers come in at 10am. Normally start off with deliveries and end with pickups. Of course there are times when you do pickups along with deliveries. There are liftgate deliveries and reaidentials.

There aren't set number of deliveries. I have heard management say they want at least 10 on a trailer. Some less, some more. Some are dock, some are tailgate. Which you break down for customer.

Fact is, the lazier you are, the more you get away with. The harder you run, the more they put on.

Absolutely no overtime. Generally stay between 45-50 hours. Of course, other terminals may vary. Some of the other guys may chime in on that.

I've done p&d for quite some time. Not all at the big E. It's worse than it use to be. I run linehaul now. Couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Our terminal bids on start times. Guys come in from anywhere between 5am and noon. Most of the drivers come in at 10am. Normally start off with deliveries and end with pickups. Of course there are times when you do pickups along with deliveries. There are liftgate deliveries and reaidentials.

There aren't set number of deliveries. I have heard management say they want at least 10 on a trailer. Some less, some more. Some are dock, some are tailgate. Which you break down for customer.

Fact is, the lazier you are, the more you get away with. The harder you run, the more they put on.

Absolutely no overtime. Generally stay between 45-50 hours. Of course, other terminals may vary. Some of the other guys may chime in on that.

I've done p&d for quite some time. Not all at the big E. It's worse than it use to be. I run linehaul now. Couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

All true Except the no overtime part. Many of our drivers average 55-60 hours a week, one or two hit 65 hours regularly. A real grinder for sure. I suppose it's up to the individual TM to allow or not.

Let be honest here a minute okay....Yes the city you have to deal with weather, customers, more traffic and all that but you also are able to live the same life as your family. Sleep at the same times and all that. Linehaul is something no one ever really gets used to. Your sleep schedule is jacked up forever. I agree City work isn’t for everyone but...working days is a nice perk

Let be honest here a minute okay....Yes the city you have to deal with weather, customers, more traffic and all that but you also are able to live the same life as your family. Sleep at the same times and all that. Linehaul is something no one ever really gets used to. Your sleep schedule is jacked up forever. I agree City work isn’t for everyone but...working days is a nice perk
I don’t think one ever gets used to nights...and not all terminals have daytime runs. If the money is not a big issue and you don’t mind working P&D is not that bad IMO

I don’t think one ever gets used to nights...and not all terminals have daytime runs. If the money is not a big issue and you don’t mind working P&D is not that bad IMO

I don't mind nights, I've just been doing them for 8 years. And while my term does have daytime runs, it'd would take me a long time to get one. So the daytime part is a nice appeal for me.

Like I said, I'm thinking city could just be a good way to get back into driving. I had some confidence issues way back when I did drive and while I feel like I'd be fine now with all the time in the yard done, never know for sure. Some time with a trainer would help too of course.

I just didn't know exactly how p&d works. You hear people complain but I didn't know how much of it is that p&d really is rough or just the comparison to linehaul where you just drive.

I don't mind nights, I've just been doing them for 8 years. And while my term does have daytime runs, it'd would take me a long time to get one. So the daytime part is a nice appeal for me.

Like I said, I'm thinking city could just be a good way to get back into driving. I had some confidence issues way back when I did drive and while I feel like I'd be fine now with all the time in the yard done, never know for sure. Some time with a trainer would help too of course.

I just didn't know exactly how p&d works. You hear people complain but I didn't know how much of it is that p&d really is rough or just the comparison to linehaul where you just drive.

I did linehaul and P&D. P&D isn’t that bad, you’ll have your days that you’ll feel like you hate your job. But it’s pretty much a fast pace because you have to meet time windows and you’ll get phone calls a lot because you’ll have those customers that want information every 5 mins. But I’m going back to P&D in a few weeks.

I did linehaul and P&D. P&D isn’t that bad, you’ll have your days that you’ll feel like you hate your job. But it’s pretty much a fast pace because you have to meet time windows and you’ll get phone calls a lot because you’ll have those customers that want information every 5 mins. But I’m going back to P&D in a few weeks.
Aah sleep at night like a human being is a nice perk

Btw what makes you want to go back to P&D?