TForce | some pics of new equiptment

Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG): UPS operates 11 LNG tractor-trailers (also known as semi-trucks) on the company's California to Nevada route. As a fuel, LNG is very dense, providing a large amount of energy for the space it takes up. This makes LNG an excellent fuel for large trucks that need to go long distances before stopping for more fuel.

How does that natural gas react in a crash?
Does a crash reduce the tractor into very small pieces of scrap metal,or just leave a large hole in the road?

I know the diesel with all of the additives the environmental wack-os require are volatile enough.
So I can just imagine how natural gas under pressure is going to react in a crash.

Guess the only thing I can say about this new fuel, is oh my yes I am glad I am retired from trucking.

We have several of those silver eagle dollies here at FedEx Freight. Just a warning......never stop while backing it under a trailer. If you start to push it under a pup and roll forward it will jump in the air. Several years ago I put one through the nose of a pup. Our mechanic said they are know for jumping. So be careful

So here is the conspiracy theorist coming out of me but here is a thought: I think we can establish that trailer is a package trailer, right? but why all brown? Does his quite possibly mean the UPS is gonna go ALL brown on their trailers and give us all their grey ones after slapping a UPS Freight sticker on the back?

I mean think about it, when they change something on the package side, it don't take very long to do so since they have more money than Ft. Knox and they won't spend it on freight. So why not spend the money for new trailers on feeders and just give the us the old feeder hand-me-downs? Look how long it took UPS to change the logo from a shield with a package on top to the currant "Global" one we wear now? It was like overnight..... I know what your gonna say, there is a difference between a few stickers and patches than there is equipment, but the way they protect that brand image, I can't see them driving around with trailers where their terminals are half grey and half brown. They leave that mix and match bs for us, not them.

Now, this is just a thought of course, but something to think, (hope) for......

What you don't think UPS is going to spend their money on freight?
They have wanted a freight division way back in 1986 when Union Pacific bought Overnite.
They gave UP an offer but it was to much,so now after all this time,and there is no more Overnite, just UPS Freight that they have already sunk a bundle in,some rebranding,uniforms,training,and everything else to produce their long coveted freight division,they are going to drop the ball?

In my opinion,I highly doubt it.

According to the company web site those mud flaps are light and are supposed to keep spray way down. They even have a video. Now they wouldn't lie on a video would they?

Didn't you see the 2 videos I posted earlier on this thread topic regarding this mud flap issue?

I am sure if this wasn't a proven piece of equipment UPS wouldn't waste their money on them.

We all can speculate if they work or not,but like anything UPS does I'm sure they did their homework on these flaps.

I've read that one convex fender mirror cuts fuel economy by 1/10th that really adds up with big fleets and the price fuel is now.

Grumpy, I must be interpreting this wrong. If this were true, a truck that gets 5 MPG without a fender mirror would drop to 4.5 MPG when a mirror is added. Are you saying it cuts mileage by 1/10th of a MPG or mileage is cut by 10% (1/10th).

Those dollies aren't silver eagles are they??? From experience the handles on those dollies as they get some wear on them will stick quite frequently and not latch completely and become hard to stay unlocked when you go to drop out,,,,, those handles like to grab air lines too..........

I remember back in the day when Peter built tried using thin teflon pads on their fifth wheels instead of grease,I wonder whatever happened to that idea?
I was delivering 4x8 sheets of that stuff to the guy that came up with the idea,he would cut them to size and sell them to the tractor manufacturer.
Of course being retired I lost track of all of my old customers,so now I have no way of knowing how he ever made out with his invention?

Hmmm all I had to do was go Google to answer my own question.
Now this is what UPS needs on all of their fifth wheels,sure would save the uniforms and air lines from getting loaded with grease.

FifthWheelModels_hdr.jpg

Home

Last edited by a moderator:
Apostolic said:
I remember back in the day when Peter built tried using thin teflon pads on their fifth wheels instead of grease,I wonder whatever happened to that idea?
I was delivering 4x8 sheets of that stuff to the guy that came up with the idea,he would cut them to size and sell them to the tractor manufacturer.
Of course being retired I lost track of all of my old customers,so now I have no way of knowing how he ever made out with his invention?

Hmmm all I had to do was go Google to answer my own question.
Now this is what UPS needs on all of their fifth wheels,sure would save the uniforms and air lines from getting loaded with grease.

Home

Those pads are pretty popular in the RV fifth wheel market.

I like the dolly that we use... it's counter bolanced so that you can easily pick it up... As far as the handle goes, i try to keep my air lines from it in the past there have been i few cases where the lines were blamed for catching the handle and making the rear pup drop off.....driver was making a very sharp turn from what i heard.

Just make sure the handle is "droped down" in the cut out. Just wish they would put a quick release on the air tank so that you don't have to keep pulling the cord to drain the air tank on the brakes.

Just wish they would put a quick release on the air tank so that you don't have to keep pulling the cord to drain the air tank on the brakes.

...most of the ones I`ve seen have a quick release button...?

I like the dolly that we use... it's counter bolanced so that you can easily pick it up... As far as the handle goes, i try to keep my air lines from it in the past there have been i few cases where the lines were blamed for catching the handle and making the rear pup drop off.....driver was making a very sharp turn from what i heard.

Just make sure the handle is "droped down" in the cut out. Just wish they would put a quick release on the air tank so that you don't have to keep pulling the cord to drain the air tank on the brakes.

If the trailer dropped off I bet it was not from the lines getting tangled with the handle. Maybe not being latched and the handle being in the notch to lock it. I've seen them not completely over all the way. I think those dollies are by far the best.

Grumpy, I must be interpreting this wrong. If this were true, a truck that gets 5 MPG without a fender mirror would drop to 4.5 MPG when a mirror is added. Are you saying it cuts mileage by 1/10th of a MPG or mileage is cut by 10% (1/10th).

Don't know where you got the 4.5,
1/10th would be 5mpg to 4.9mpg