XPO | Someones doing very well

I don’t care how much my companies owner is bringing home. I care about how much I am bringing home. If one impacts the other then I will have a problem with him. The company I work for has an owner who reinvests the profit he could claim back into the company. No complaints about that

If Not, what is it?
First of all I never lived my life to target that career path. I do not gauge my success in life solely on material gain and do not consider others a stepping stone to get their. Its the same as considering Trump a successful man that demands adoration, I just don't . It all depends on your personal yard stick.

I wish Brad Jacobs all the success and happiness one man can accumulate , he's just not going to do it off the fruit of my labor and the future young drivers by skimping on our fair compensation in the current work environment if we have a say.
I didn't give the reporter the permission to post about his art collection and his lavish mansions at the same time he's taking from his employees. I would think someone who is trying to keep his employees from having a say in their future would show a little more discretion instead of bragging, but that's me.

I admire the men that I work with (most days) that work hard everyday without unreasonable expectations or any sense of entitlement from their employer and do their jobs to the best of their ability unlike our leadership. Not one driver at our barn has ever talked or expressed ANY unreasonable expectations from this company period other than fairness. The greed is NOT at our rank.

Sorry about the rant but one more Bourbon and I could probably come up with the cure for world hunger. Good thing I have off this coming week tomorrows going to be tough.

Last edited:
We watch our pay, benefits, and work conditions degrade while watch our CEOs compensation sky rocket. We see that same CEO touted as a genius businessman, not just on the financial news shows and the WSJ, but by our own coworkers.

And when we decide to step up and voice our discontent our own coworkers dismiss these raised issues as nothing more than jealousy and envy.

Maybe your barn is doing OK. Maybe you live in an area where one $65k salary can buy you a home and leave something over to pay vet bills. Where I live they'd laugh you out of the county. It's rough here with two people working.

Our barn can't keep new guys. Old guys are looking for other jobs and slowly leaving. Our 'raise' was overwhelmingly derided as too little too late. Nobody is happy here.

I'm glad your barns are in a good place. I'm glad your hiring. We've been five drivers short for over a year. We are four dock workers short. One CSR short and one FOS short.

We are all wrung out, underpaid, and long past caring. So, yeah, I feel like we have some actual grievances. From Jacobs right on down to local management.

Jealousy and envy though? Gtfo.

Heres your sign!

But these days he's talking up organic growth and the $450 million a year XPO is pouring into automation and technology. Of its 95,000 employees, 1,700 are tech professionals, including 100 data quants. "Anything we can automate, we are either automating already or we have on the drawing board to automate,"
Autonomous drivers???

"Stepping on their necks and profiteering off of them". Brother why are you here? If you are being misused and abused in your mind to that degree why are you still here? What does that say about you? Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Some people work smarter and plan better to become wealthy on a scale most drivers can not relate to. I was a " C " student, joined the Navy and now drive a truck. Not the best choices for wealth building. So should I be like you and despise the man that has more? No. I neither pity the poor nor envy the rich. I made my decision to work here just like you did. If you are feeling the boot on your neck by your financial betters here go somewhere else. I am sure the boots there will have a velvet heel.

Effort and determination have value. Succeeding in spite of your situation is certainly rewarding. It doesn't change the reality that a better person with more options or opportunities would refuse to follow your path, or that you would likely be unqualified or unable to follow theirs.

Some people are Peyton Manning. Born into it and taken first and a winner. Some people are Tom Brady and work for it, and do even better than they could even have imagined. Other people are that guy that got hurt in high school and never made it any where. None of the three is anything more than one grown man. But they will behave differently and treat others differently based on their perceived status. Some people have greater or lesser tolerance for not being treated equally by others.

Excellence, commitment and integrity are things the old company desired. That meant something and were valued. Do you still feel that is the case at XPO LTL ? Or is it that you understand your limits and look to defend what you see as the only way you will ever see that kinda check regardless of what you have to endure to get it ?

Pride is a tricky thing. And one of the 7 deadly sins. Careful you don't let it cloud things.

I'm in the process of working out a plan with a small, worker owned, data analytics startup to come on board. If everything goes well I will be gone by July.

In short, I am doing my level best to leave this place. If this particular plan falls through, I will work on something else. I promised both myself and my wife I'd be out of this industry by the end of 2018 and i plan on meeting that goal.

Good luck. It's impossible to fail when you are doing something for the right reasons. Results are only half the story. What did you give up and what did it cost you ?

There's one thing to get rich by growing a business and another to do it slowly taking it from your employees. Just look around people are leaving in droves. That's not a good thing. Why are they leaving ? If things where so great employees would be singing their praises and be enthusiastic. If you could go back and look at old CCX post here you would see it was just the opposite of whats posted here now. People feel they are being taking for a ride that has nothing good in store for them.

Truth is truth regardless of how you try to spin it. People with options are glad to have them. Ain't heard much complaining from those that left. A few have bounced a couple times before they found a spot that they are comfortable with. But it's a great market to try something new.

Not my problem. If enough people leave, things may change- but I'm not losing sleep over it.

And where did that enthusiasm get us? A bloated, comfortable company spoiled rotten by its own success and a perfect target for acquisition despite its ostensibly enthusiastic employees. It really doesn't matter how you feel about where we're going- you and I are not driving the bus.

I ain't Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves. If I don't like where the bus is going. I am free to leave the bus. Which very many have. So, yeah. It does matter how I and everyone else feels about it. Sure the frak does.

I love the way you have distain for the good times. You must be a pig in mud with the way things are going right now.

You say people are leaving. I'll take your word for that. At my terminal we are adding drivers. Many drivers. We are growing. So I look at what I see and then I see what I read and have to figure out which is the truth. I'll believe what I see with my own eyes. My barn is growing, wages are good. These new guys appreciate the opportunity of a solid career. Old hands are making fine money. Plenty of reasons to enjoy this job and your life. I am a 16 year guy. Not a novice here. Driving for 30 years now. From where I have been to where I am now with XPO is worlds apart. This is the best trucking job I've had. I don't bite the hand that feeds me.

I am thrilled to hear that somewhere in the system things are going well. I wish it was the case here.

We watch our pay, benefits, and work conditions degrade while watch our CEOs compensation sky rocket. We see that same CEO touted as a genius businessman, not just on the financial news shows and the WSJ, but by our own coworkers.

And when we decide to step up and voice our discontent our own coworkers dismiss these raised issues as nothing more than jealousy and envy.

Maybe your barn is doing OK. Maybe you live in an area where one $65k salary can buy you a home and leave something over to pay vet bills. Where I live they'd laugh you out of the county. It's rough here with two people working.

Our barn can't keep new guys. Old guys are looking for other jobs and slowly leaving. Our 'raise' was overwhelmingly derided as too little too late. Nobody is happy here.

I'm glad your barns are in a good place. I'm glad your hiring. We've been five drivers short for over a year. We are four dock workers short. One CSR short and one FOS short.

We are all wrung out, underpaid, and long past caring. So, yeah, I feel like we have some actual grievances. From Jacobs right on down to local management.

Jealousy and envy though? Gtfo.

Great post. Thank you.

But it's a great market to try something new.

Is it though? I mean, it is now- but there's a lot of wild cards in the economic deck these days. There's a decent chance the economy could stall in the next few years- and I wouldn't want to be on the bottom of a big board if it does. Gotta pay attention to the long game, too.

I love the way you have distain for the good times. You must be a pig in mud with the way things are going right now.

I'm sorry if that's the impression you're getting- that's definitely not my feeling. I think he's going to do his thing and doesn't care much for my opinion on it, and that works for me. I've got my start time, good benefits and a paycheck, as I always have. The things that I disagree with aren't worth quitting over.

What "things that I [you] disagree with" are those exactly?
The insistence on learning things for themselves (Firing the sales people, for example.) and the apparent disdain for institutional knowledge about the LTL industry. The religious focus on P&L at the SIC level. Tying safety to the P&L. A bonus program based on operational factors behind driver influence. Those sorts of things. I understand why it's that way, but it can be frustrating to watch. I do think that they'll figure it out, but we'll lose customers and drivers while they do.

But again, that's not something I can affect in any meaningful way, and they've got a plan, so I don't lose sleep over it.

Is it though? I mean, it is now- but there's a lot of wild cards in the economic deck these days. There's a decent chance the economy could stall in the next few years- and I wouldn't want to be on the bottom of a big board if it does. Gotta pay attention to the long game, too.

I'm sorry if that's the impression you're getting- that's definitely not my feeling. I think he's going to do his thing and doesn't care much for my opinion on it, and that works for me. I've got my start time, good benefits and a paycheck, as I always have. The things that I disagree with aren't worth quitting over.

If you let fear motivate your life, how do you even get out of bed in the morning ? Trucking is one of the most dangerous jobs going. Odd that you would feel so risk adverse. But I do agree in a sense. And that is why I am all but positive that this is my last trucking job. Everything else seems like a lateral move. And the " long game " for trucking just isn't looking like it will be paying off. The clear trend is further consolidation into more massive companies that make insane profits while trimming compensation and/or benefits to their employees and contractors.

If you let fear motivate your life, how do you even get out of bed in the morning ?

Reluctantly, but it has nothing to do with being afraid of life. I'm just not a fan of mornings.

Putting on my war paint and doing whatever comes to mind while screaming, "YOLO!" is not a good life strategy unless you're in a movie. I manage my risk.