New Penn | something strange ?

UnionTrucka

TB Regular
Credits
this morning i noticed something very weird. i was checking some of my frt. and i noticed i needed to collect a check. so i looked to see who the shipper was to see if this was correct. guys usually know if they have to get a check depending on who the shipper is. anyway, the shipper was A.Duie Pyle ! now sometimes the customer may call the wrong carrier and they'll take the frt. from there the correct carrier will go to that co.'s terminal and pick-up that frt. i then looked at the packing slip and it clearly said : A. Duie Pyle Warehousing & Distribution. i showed the bill to the dispatcher & other drivers and they all said they have never seen anything like this. can i get anyone's take on this. btw, the frt. was picked up in PA.

I have seen this as well here in Pa.
I guess Pyle owns some warehouses in Pennsylvania.

Other carriers go and pick up there all the time. One day I was backed up and saw NEMF and Yellow picking up as well.

No big deal

Friend of the frog said:
I have seen this as well here in Pa.
I guess Pyle owns some warehouses in Pennsylvania.

Other carriers go and pick up there all the time. One day I was backed up and saw NEMF and Yellow picking up as well.

No big deal

if that's the case why don't they give it to their own drivers ? i believe Pyle delivers in NYC and the location was not in need of a union driver. doesn't make sense.

Could be the customer you delivered to has an account with NP and gets a discount on the freight.Its done all the time, Hermanns Bilkays and even when Arnold owned New Penn. The customer gets the best deal on the warehousing and the best on the trucking.

UnionTrucka said:
trust me, everyone i spoke to doesn't know either. some thought i was joking. i'll be snooping around.

It's no big deal. ADP has a warehousing division and whoever their customer was probably told them to ship it using New Penn.

I could really stir things up and say it's because New Penn is the better carrier but I won't do that. :biglaugh:

CFer said:
It's no big deal. ADP has a warehousing division and whoever their customer was probably told them to ship it using New Penn.

I could really stir things up and say it's because New Penn is the better carrier but I won't do that. :biglaugh:

You may be right on, but it could also be a case of cut rate price for a cut rate service :chairshot:

Friend of the frog said:
You may be right on, but it could also be a case of cut rate price for a cut rate service :chairshot:
OUCH !! But couldn't the same be said for the warehousing ?
On a much smaller scale, New Penn also holds some freight in certain terminals until the original shipper has a customer for the item. Those freight bills show the original shippers name, but the shipping address the the NP terminal.

CFer said:

you don't have to CFer, alot of people feel that way anyway.

CFer is right! ADP has two (2) big warehouses down near Parkesburg, PA. They do logistics for many companies. I work out of the Reading, PA barn and we pick up there frequently, along with every other union and non-union company. The majority of the shipments coming out are set up through the people ADP warehouses for.

redeye said:
CFer is right! ADP has two (2) big warehouses down near Parkesburg, PA. They do logistics for many companies. I work out of the Reading, PA barn and we pick up there frequently, along with every other union and non-union company. The majority of the shipments coming out are set up through the people ADP warehouses for.

redeye your right. im remember the address on the packing slip and it said Parkesburg,PA. thanks for the info.

redeye said:

Welcome to the boards Redeye, It's good to have you here

union trucka
plye owns a bunch of public whses in Pa theres west chester parkesburg and king of prussia, i work for jevic and there are days we get a couple of loads of ltl out of west chester whse. so your having a pyle bill is not strange at all.

FXCITY said:
I see bills pretty oftten with UPS Supply chain solutions as the bill to on the packing slip. STRANGE!!
Everybody is in the logistics business. Look at each major carrier and you will find some type of logistic operation. So, when a customer orders freight, the supplier may contact their logistic provider, who then in turn sends a message to the warehouse to ship a certain item, and if the consignee has a contract or specifies a particular carrier then that carrier is called for the pick-up.
In short, the logistics provider has nothing to do with the carrier of choice, unless no carrier is specified by the shipper or the consignee.