Sound off...if you dare!

Who is for a Sysco Union?

• I love Unions

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I hate Unions

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Don't think I'd want to do this job if we were non-union. Management is already too good at micro-managing us!!

Local 162, Portland Oregon

Union? Yes
Like unions? Have my opinions but for the most part, yes. Want to put my foot up my locals ass though :)

Its not easy. I looked into it. We needed 60% of drivers to vote yes. I couldn't get half the drivers to want it

Its not easy. I looked into it. We needed 60% of drivers to vote yes. I couldn't get half the drivers to want it

yes and no. the local union wouldn't get involved without at least that much support, if not more. Business agents have been through a LOT of training on reading people, and it seems like getting people to stick together for something serious, like a union election, is like herding stray cats. people change their minds, people get scared, etc.

However, once the cards have been signed, and there is an official National Labor Board Election, 50% +1 gets the union in. And sysco gets to bargain, they cant just sit there and stonewall the union, because so many of the shops are union.

So how hard do you think it would be to get a non union Sysco house to join a union? Just curious...

its easier to form a union at a company like sysco or us foods compared to a total non union company, since they both have union shops all over the place. it gives the union a lot of leverage against the company, since they already have agreements in other areas.

its one reason that the union goes after shops like US Foods, Republic services, First Student, etc. if some barns are union, the company cant refuse to give you at LEAST the same terms and conditions that it gives others. lots of labor charges when companies do that, and in the end, its cheaper to recognize the union than pay the lawyers to fight a losing battle.

why is that? I heard you guys have a decent contract to vote on, I talked to my friend that runs up here, he is happy with it.
Down here we hear conflicting stories about the contract. If that is true what he says, then I might just be staying a little longer ;)