ABF | Southern Conference

Anyone want to venture to guess or have an opinion on what it may take to pass this supplement?
I don't know but I was at the local 728 meeting (atl-086 road southern conference) and I asked for restrictions on PTS, immediate reinstatmen of vacations, and return to the previous way we calculated our bids. I was told we only get to renegotiate the supplement. Our business agent (Wayne Brown) said he talked to about 25 road drivers at 086 and most wanted pay increase. We discussed the fact that wages are in both the NMFA and supplement. He didn't seem optimistic. He said this is new ground and the IBT said they would not renegotiate. So strike seemed to be the only option.

I posted this after the union meeting yesterday.

I went to the 728 union meeting this morning and made a butt of myself as I do on here sometimes. Turns out we may be on strike anyway. Our supplement didn't pass and I listed 3 things that I would vote yes on (1) implementation of vacation upon ratification, (2) limit PTS further (3) restore our bidding process (way we calculate bids). I was told the first 2 are in the NMFA and can't be negotiated. I suggested MOU's. We were also told this is new terriory. I brought up the stock price (up 28% Friday and over 51% since may 1). I was the only one to offer any suggestions.

Then we STRIKE, IBT and ABF have as much to lose as us. Philly 6 to 84 NO THANK YOU.:eck13::eck13::eck13:
I brought up the stock price because if it even looks like we will strike the stock price will drop through the floor. This will make a big difference to the board of directors. This is the plan to get some of what we want. Not just hope we get better.

I posted this on another site....

Ok, for all the Southern Conference Road Drivers out there, since our supplement didn’t pass now is the time for a change. I’m proposing that we ask the company for a change to the ATO language. What I’m thinking is to keep what we have pretty much the same except that instead of 36+10 for 6 trips we ask for 36+10 for 5 trips and to be able take ATO after any number of trips. Ex: ATO can be taken anytime between your 5th and 12th trip but you would still only get credit for 5 trips. Same thing between your 12th and 18th trip and so on. I think this would benefit everyone involved. First off guys who want more home time would achieve that. Guys who would still like to work and earn more money would still be able to stay on the board and do that. Guys who may not have gotten to work now may be able to if another driver takes off after 5 trips instead of being forced on a 6th trip he really doesn’t want. And lastly I believe that ABF benefits in regards to hiring. Guys are more likely to take a job knowing they can be off after 5 days instead of being forced to work 6. We have given enough back to the company these last 2 contracts its time we get something for ourselves. I see this has win win for everyone.... Any thoughts?

We tried taking off after 6 trips several years ago when Keith Burke was transportation manager. Ron pushed for that but he got a lot of resistance from local 728. I don't remember who was BS then. It was before Scott Webber was BA. Talk to Ron, he knows more about it than I do.

I think the problem was YRC back then. You might push to slide call blocks ANYTIME. Also, pass runs to junior guys, example 4 guys on call block, then last 3 have to go but one driver can pass it down.

I think the problem was YRC back then. You might push to slide call blocks ANYTIME. Also, pass runs to junior guys, example 4 guys on call block, then last 3 have to go but one driver can pass it down.
What do you mean by slide call blocks anytime? We can do that here in Orlando unless the board is exhausted but I’ve never had a problem in 4 years....

Ask some of the xtra board drivers from 086 or talk with Ron Sanders. We are told that the board is exhausted all the time. We even had to file several grievances to make dispatch take down the sign saying that the board was exhausted, no sliding. Dispatch would put it in the window and forget to take it down for 5 or 6 days at a time.

I posted this on another site....

Ok, for all the Southern Conference Road Drivers out there, since our supplement didn’t pass now is the time for a change. I’m proposing that we ask the company for a change to the ATO language. What I’m thinking is to keep what we have pretty much the same except that instead of 36+10 for 6 trips we ask for 36+10 for 5 trips and to be able take ATO after any number of trips. Ex: ATO can be taken anytime between your 5th and 12th trip but you would still only get credit for 5 trips. Same thing between your 12th and 18th trip and so on. I think this would benefit everyone involved. First off guys who want more home time would achieve that. Guys who would still like to work and earn more money would still be able to stay on the board and do that. Guys who may not have gotten to work now may be able to if another driver takes off after 5 trips instead of being forced on a 6th trip he really doesn’t want. And lastly I believe that ABF benefits in regards to hiring. Guys are more likely to take a job knowing they can be off after 5 days instead of being forced to work 6. We have given enough back to the company these last 2 contracts its time we get something for ourselves. I see this has win win for everyone.... Any thoughts?

I spoke with our BA today and mentioned these proposals and he is going to run them by the Southern Region Freight Director. For these proposals to have any weight we need EVERYONE to spread the word and get in touch with their BA. I was told they will be back at the table in a few weeks. Now is the time to get things done. Don’t delay and SPREAD THE WORD....

I spoke with several drivers last night who mentioned your post on Bullfrog Nation. So word is getting out. I will print something up and put on the bulletin boards in 086 and 059. Also, you might consider passing on runs. Example 5 runs available and 10 drivers on the board. As long as the runs are covered the seniority men can pass down runs. I suggested this in a meeting with David Evans several years ago as a way to keep the bottom of the board working. Our transportation manager spoke against it (Ron Cook was at the meeting also) claiming drivers would “take advantage of the their seniority.” But both Mr. Evans and Mr. Cook are aware of this option. It was mentioned when Mr. Evans came to Atlanta to answer my many grievances regarding the purchase transportation.

We are also trying to get the company to return to the previous way of calculating the bids. Instead counting only 60% for bids we return to the old way of 75% for bids. I suggested 85% but our BA (Wayne Brown) didn’t think that would go over.

I spoke with several drivers last night who mentioned your post on Bullfrog Nation. So word is getting out. I will print something up and put on the bulletin boards in 086 and 059. Also, you might consider passing on runs. Example 5 runs available and 10 drivers on the board. As long as the runs are covered the seniority men can pass down runs. I suggested this in a meeting with David Evans several years ago as a way to keep the bottom of the board working. Our transportation manager spoke against it (Ron Cook was at the meeting also) claiming drivers would “take advantage of the their seniority.” But both Mr. Evans and Mr. Cook are aware of this option. It was mentioned when Mr. Evans came to Atlanta to answer my many grievances regarding the purchase transportation.
I appreciate you posting something at those terminals and I’m glad word is getting around. I will mention those other concerns to my BA but we also need to get has many people has possible to inundate their local with phone calls. One local isn’t going to get this done alone. We need the voice of many. We need to be heard....

I appreciate you posting something at those terminals and I’m glad word is getting around. I will mention those other concerns to my BA but we also need to get has many people has possible to inundate their local with phone calls. One local isn’t going to get this done alone. We need the voice of many. We need to be heard....

I just sent this text to all 4 union stewards (1 is alternate) and the BA (Wayne Brown 864-958-1859) under heading SOMETHINGS WE WOULD LIKE CHANGED IN THE SUPPLEMENT

(1)Redoing ATO for 5 runs instead of 6
(2)Time off anytime after 5 runs
(3)Sliding call blocks always
(4)Passing runs to junior drivers on call blocks when more drivers than runs
(5)Return to previous bid calculations.

Aka squeaky wheel gets the grease

Lots of good ideas on the supplement guys . I was thinking that a double slide option would be a thought also. Sometimes we get dispatched on a very short lay down runs and then run on our rest coming back to our home terminal. A double slide would give the driver a opportunity to stay somewhat on the same schedule instead of flipping back and forth from days to nights or vice versa. With abf turning the tractors up to 65 mph, you can bet they have something up their sleeve .