ABF | Southern Conference

Nightowl, I just got off the phone with steward Wells. BA Wayne Brown called him about my text. We need to look into Dallas employees also. And we need to keep it to the supplements. Sliding is in the NMFA according to Mr. Wells.

Lots of good ideas on the supplement guys . I was thinking that a double slide option would be a thought also. Sometimes we get dispatched on a very short lay down runs and then run on our rest coming back to our home terminal. A double slide would give the driver a opportunity to stay somewhat on the same schedule instead of flipping back and forth from days to nights or vice versa. With abf turning the tractors up to 65 mph, you can bet they have something up their sleeve .
I will talk with my BA and union stewards about that.

I won't be voting in this as UE driver, but I was curious about the abolishment of all the UE runs of 225 miles or more. I was thinking if any of those are reestablished at origin terminals, shouldn't they be considered and bid as a road jobs with retreat rights if they're again abolished? Those UE drivers never did have time to work the dock anyway, and I heard numerous complaints from road drivers that UE was just killing the road work. Good luck, hopefully you can get some more protections and better scheduled off time in the supplement.

This is a copy of what I sent. I'm sure I will add to it before this is over.

To Lendon Grisham
Southern Region Freight Coordinator, National Freight Division

Mr. Grisham, I would very much like to make a couple of proposals changes for the upcoming ABF southern region freight supplement renegotiation.

I would like to see article 42 changed

Vacancies and new runs
from “taking sixty percent 60% of number of runs” to “taking eighty five percent 85% of number of runs” because we previously had Seventy five percent 75% of the number of runs in the 2008-2013 and before. With the use of PTS and supplemental drivers (retired ABF drivers and safety people, Bill Farwig) the company has more flexibility to run these bids.

Time Off

Changed from “when an extra board driver has performed six (6) tours of duty” changed to “when an extra board driver has performed five (5) tours of duty” and the removal of the wording “the driver may take the time off only after the six (6) or twelfth (12) or eighteenth (18) tour of duty.” With the use of PTS and supplemental drivers this strict and draconian rule forces many drivers to work unsafely because they “do not want to break their tours.”

Article 50 changed
to “two (2) stewards shall be compensated” because we bid twice a year and the bidding process lasts all day (from very early in the morning to late into the evening). And, from the perspective of a former union steward, it is hard to make the steward meetings with the company transportation manager and keep up with what the grievances are. It is truly a two steward job just to be a road driver and a personnel manager.

Respectfully,

I spoke with Lendon Grisham today. He doesn't like us posting online because the company monitors this site. I made the commet that this is how you get support for an idea. He disagrees and suggested talking with the union or calling people on the phone. But he is open and hopefull about getting some of our suggestions in the supplement in order to get it passed.