ABF | Sparks, nv terminal questions

Kevin Breznai

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey all, just got the call that I passed the background check, road test is July 24th, anyway I'm just curious as to how things work around there, bids, extraboard, are guys at the bottom working? I'm coming from 3 and a half years at reddaway linehaul, so I know about ltl, just curious what to expect from abf(sparks, nv terminal) before I jump ship. Thanks guys.

Hey all, just got the call that I passed the background check, road test is July 24th, anyway I'm just curious as to how things work around there, bids, extraboard, are guys at the bottom working? I'm coming from 3 and a half years at reddaway linehaul, so I know about ltl, just curious what to expect from abf(sparks, nv terminal) before I jump ship. Thanks guys.

Nobody's answered you, Brother,...but that just means no one from that specific terminal has seen your post.

In spite of all the carping here,....it's a good company. Actually,...it's a career job in trucking,...a rarity, because most places expect you to leave after a couple of years. So far,....ABF hires you with the expectation that you'll be there for 30.

I retired from there. Good, comfortable pension. ......in spite of corporate machinations to end defined-benefit pensions. Must work to keep those type pensions.......

Hope you get some more specific answers soon, Brother. Good Luck!

Nobody's answered you, Brother,...but that just means no one from that specific terminal has seen your post.

In spite of all the carping here,....it's a good company. Actually,...it's a career job in trucking,...a rarity, because most places expect you to leave after a couple of years. So far,....ABF hires you with the expectation that you'll be there for 30.

I retired from there. Good, comfortable pension. ......in spite of corporate machinations to end defined-benefit pensions. Must work to keep those type pensions.......

Hope you get some more specific answers soon, Brother. Good Luck!
Thanks brother for the feedback, I always heard and was one of the best, but some of the guys on here have made me a bit nervous about leaving reddaway, honestly I don't have much to lose I've been here almost 4 years and I'm still at the bottom of the board, because nobody wants to work for us, I can't move up because they keep cutting runs and increasing the amount of purchase Power coming in. Thanks for easing my mind a bit, I never see abf guys around on the road or I would've tried to ask one of them.

Thanks brother for the feedback, I always heard and was one of the best, but some of the guys on here have made me a bit nervous about leaving reddaway, honestly I don't have much to lose I've been here almost 4 years and I'm still at the bottom of the board, because nobody wants to work for us, I can't move up because they keep cutting runs and increasing the amount of purchase Power coming in. Thanks for easing my mind a bit, I never see abf guys around on the road or I would've tried to ask one of them.

There is no perfect job but ABF is the best freight company you can work for.

I can't move up because they keep cutting runs and increasing the amount of purchase Power coming in. If there is ever a sign that say's leave, that sentence explains it all. If you stay you sit on the board for 2 years while nonounion workers perform your job while you sit @ home wondering how you will pay the bills. Crawl, jump, skip, run, from there. Doesn't matter how you leave, as long as you leave. Remember, your future bank balance can not be supported by YRC employment. von.

Last edited:
I can't move up because they keep cutting runs and increasing the amount of purchase Power coming in. If there is ever a sign that say's leave, that sentence explains it all. If you stay you sit on the board for 2 years while non0union workers perform your job while you sit @ home wondering how you will pay the bills. Crawl, jump, skip, run, from there. Doesn't matter how you leave, as long as you leave. Remember, your future bank balance can not be supported by YRC employment. von.

Von, wake up, he's talking about working at ABF!

Triplex, I appreciate your support & showing me just how sleepy I must be. Now I must find a Lazy Boy, my C-Pap machine. So I can be ready to drive to the fireworks show tonight. Maybe then I can traverse a quarter mill people in downtown Indy to see the bright lights tonight. Hell I am seeing them now. Woops, that is the sun. My bad. von.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes yrc has yet to give our 15% back and we're still at 52cpm for linehaul, most of the union shops are saying they are going to strike with the 2019 contract, but yrc has made it pretty clear that they aren't willing to budge. Another issue with the reno terminal is that we aren't union and I've seen first hand how the senior guys have tried to scare us out of voting in the union (we've tried). It's pretty frustrating when you come in after being told all they have is a Sacramento turn, meanwhile purchase Power is taking freight to salt lake, San Jose ect. The tm at abf told me they don't do purchase Power unless it's something going down to the east coast.

Bro. Homesick posted the hourly/mileage rates on the "wages" thread,....which , I'm sure, you've seen. Plus,....there is still the full contributions for most pension plans.

Senior guys at non-Union barns scaring younger guys into not voting union,.....means that the "buddy" program between older employees and management is thriving...............and who do you think benefits?........and, at whose expense?

Make a cold, hard business decision, Brother.....based on your families' needs. Good Luck!