Holland | Spartanburg Road Drivers United

troubleman84

TB Veteran
Credits
Terminal manager and myself have had 5 conversations about fueling procedures where road tractors are not being fueled. We are tired of talking and he thought we wouldn't stick together. 38 road tractors left on inbound lane plus trailers where drivers coming thru will push inbound back 2-3 hrs. Hope he gets the message now union drivers will stick together.

Terminal manager and myself have had 5 conversations about fueling procedures where road tractors are not being fueled. We are tired of talking and he thought we wouldn't stick together. 38 road tractors left on inbound lane plus trailers where drivers coming thru will push inbound back 2-3 hrs. Hope he gets the message now union drivers will stick together.
Another way, see something that might be unsafe or call for out of service, write it up. Make sure a copy is left in the truck if possible. Tires under 4/32nd steel cord showing, especially convertors, brake chambers leaking, or anything you can find. That will send a message to any TM. And how can they fight you pointing out safety issues. You might not be allowed to deadline equipment, but you sure can write it up. Keep or make an extra copy & pass it on to the next shift. Keep a list in the yard horse or the next jockey. It might be helpful to everyone. Especially the road drivers. No one wants to drive bad equipment. If the freight is on a tight schedule, find & fix the problem before the road driver does & sits for the next 2 hours. If memory serves me, it is more costly to repair once on the road than in the yard. I imagine a through pre trip inspection might find something wrong that needed repair before hitting the street. von.

solidarity! Thanks to SP road for sticking together, with all of the old management gone we will need all the drivers united. Hope this will rub off to the city guys as they need to unite as well. The new management from UPS are clueless as how to their job ( unless their job is to wreck the company ) Never seen such a rude unsociable behavior from supervision. Have to wonder if they are so good at what they do why are they here at Holland instead of where they came from?

Another way, see something that might be unsafe or call for out of service, write it up. Make sure a copy is left in the truck if possible. Tires under 4/32nd steel cord showing, especially convertors, brake chambers leaking, or anything you can find. That will send a message to any TM. And how can they fight you pointing out safety issues. You might not be allowed to deadline equipment, but you sure can write it up. Keep or make an extra copy & pass it on to the next shift. Keep a list in the yard horse or the next jockey. It might be helpful to everyone. Especially the road drivers. No one wants to drive bad equipment. If the freight is on a tight schedule, find & fix the problem before the road driver does & sits for the next 2 hours. If memory serves me, it is more costly to repair once on the road than in the yard. I imagine a through pre trip inspection might find something wrong that needed repair before hitting the street. von.
You are exactly right on how to do things all the time, not just when you are upset with the TM. I wrote anything up that was a safety concern, if not for myself, then to advise the next driver of that unit about it (city or line haul). If that driver wants to ignore the defect, then it's on him. The dispatcher and the shop didn't like it, but that's tough. I just told them it was about safety and running safe equipment, if they wanted to over-ride the equipment write-up then sign a paper or the write-up as "repair not needed" and sign their name to it. End of discussion. They never did want their name on anything. They know once the unit (tractor or trailer) is out the gate, then it's on the driver. He pre-tripped it. He accepted it.

Von, when I was working we were required to leave a signed copy of the vehicle condition report in tractor for the next driver.
If defects were written up,shop repaired and copy remained in tractor for the driver.
Don't know if this was company policy or DOT requirement, it was turned in at your destination.
We never had assigned tractors in the 35 yrs I was there.

Von, when I was working we were required to leave a signed copy of the vehicle condition report in tractor for the next driver.
If defects were written up,shop repaired and copy remained in tractor for the driver.
Don't know if this was company policy or DOT requirement, it was turned in at your destination.
We never had assigned tractors in the 35 yrs I was there.
About the same @ ABF in Indy. Now you don't have to write it up unless you find a defect. Currently DOT Reg. I had @ one time 10 years of VCR's saved @ home. Always wrote in the comment section 'previous or old damage all units. Then I wrote all the unit numbers on the VCR. On more than 1 occasion it saved my but. Like Henry J said do it by the numbers & the boss will back off. Especially if you document a safety issue on paper. Once you generate paperwork or record a conversation they very much change how they do things. When the boss sees you go to the ends of the earth to protect yourself & you generate a paperwork trail to prove it, they treat you so much different than someone who doesn't. It is all about the perception your boss has of you. And they will treat you as such. von. CYA.

I know the guys in the shop at CFCC and here also won't just" pencil whip" a write up and if mangement says it's ok they make him sign off on it. We still have to do aq VCR every day even if NDF we have a box for that to just check mark it But we bid our units so in the same everyday unless it's in for service or they are slip seat/ short board /spares. I try to keep the shop guys happy and on good terms with them a pizza every once in a while will work wonders for getting my truck thru the shop quickly

I know the guys in the shop at CFCC and here also won't just" pencil whip" a write up and if mangement says it's ok they make him sign off on it. We still have to do aq VCR every day even if NDF we have a box for that to just check mark it But we bid our units so in the same everyday unless it's in for service or they are slip seat/ short board /spares. I try to keep the shop guys happy and on good terms with them a pizza every once in a while will work wonders for getting my truck thru the shop quickly

Yep, I had fishing and farming buddies in the shop, maintain a relationship with the shop always a good benifit.