FedEx Freight | specific seniority city driver questions

RookieRandy

TB Lurker
Credits
This might be a tad lengthy, but I'll try not to.

So a little over 2 years ago, myself and another part time dock worker both go hired for City driver apprentice. He had some medical stuff he needed cleared up for his physical so to make things easier our center supervisor waited until he was ready to send us both to training at the same time.

We both went, same place, same time. There were issues I had with my trainer, not training me, not paying attention, on personal phone calls, and some other things that aren't important for this topic. In the end he had some disciplinary action, and I was allowed to continue on with another trainer, at a different local center.

To do that would put him above me in seniority. I've been there as part time dock for 7 years before this and him only a month, but of course I know time on dock before doesn't count, so he's above me. I don't want you to think I'm whining about that, or lazy and don't want to put my time in. I get it, I really do.

Our current situation for the past year or so is we normally come in, in the afternoon we work dock, and maybe drive a little to pick up what the 9am drivers can't get. Sometimes we get called in early of course but not alot. So when it comes to the evening we get stuck having to do a lot of the turns to the couple closest hubs in our area. of course. So when we turn 8 hour day of course is extended to 10-13 for the turn.

So the issue is right now we are VERY short on road. Several out for medical for a few months, and with us getting busier of course come March, it really looks like there will be at least 1 turn every single day for the next 2 months.

I'd love to have 3 turns a week, 4 probably too, however the other guy who is one above me will never do one unless there is more than 1 and he is forced. In the year or more we've been doing this, he's promised twice to "take the next one," but never does.

So with that in mind, with me as the bottom guy, are there really no options for me to not have to turn every single day? Love my job, love fedex, and I help out whenever I can, I usually cover supervisor days off since I was cross trained way back when, and will do whatever is asked. Seeing 2 months of 13-14 hour days (because when there is more than 1 he takes the shorter runs which gets me back even later)

Anyway, do I have any options to be able to make some of those turns go away for me or even have the option to pick the shorter turn from time to time. Any insight you all could give me would be great. 2 or more months of that is very daunting, especially since 2 years ago I thought I'd be doing some city driving now but it's just road.
Appreciate the info and opinions guys. BE SAFE!

Outside of finding an excuse to refuse, I think you're probably SOL, unfortunately. You're the bottom man on the ladder which means you get stuck with the stuff nobody else wants.

Someone else might have some insight, but the way I understand it, it falls to you until there's a guy below you.

This might be a tad lengthy, but I'll try not to.

So a little over 2 years ago, myself and another part time dock worker both go hired for City driver apprentice. He had some medical stuff he needed cleared up for his physical so to make things easier our center supervisor waited until he was ready to send us both to training at the same time.

We both went, same place, same time. There were issues I had with my trainer, not training me, not paying attention, on personal phone calls, and some other things that aren't important for this topic. In the end he had some disciplinary action, and I was allowed to continue on with another trainer, at a different local center.

To do that would put him above me in seniority. I've been there as part time dock for 7 years before this and him only a month, but of course I know time on dock before doesn't count, so he's above me. I don't want you to think I'm whining about that, or lazy and don't want to put my time in. I get it, I really do.

Our current situation for the past year or so is we normally come in, in the afternoon we work dock, and maybe drive a little to pick up what the 9am drivers can't get. Sometimes we get called in early of course but not alot. So when it comes to the evening we get stuck having to do a lot of the turns to the couple closest hubs in our area. of course. So when we turn 8 hour day of course is extended to 10-13 for the turn.

So the issue is right now we are VERY short on road. Several out for medical for a few months, and with us getting busier of course come March, it really looks like there will be at least 1 turn every single day for the next 2 months.

I'd love to have 3 turns a week, 4 probably too, however the other guy who is one above me will never do one unless there is more than 1 and he is forced. In the year or more we've been doing this, he's promised twice to "take the next one," but never does.

So with that in mind, with me as the bottom guy, are there really no options for me to not have to turn every single day? Love my job, love fedex, and I help out whenever I can, I usually cover supervisor days off since I was cross trained way back when, and will do whatever is asked. Seeing 2 months of 13-14 hour days (because when there is more than 1 he takes the shorter runs which gets me back even later)

Anyway, do I have any options to be able to make some of those turns go away for me or even have the option to pick the shorter turn from time to time. Any insight you all could give me would be great. 2 or more months of that is very daunting, especially since 2 years ago I thought I'd be doing some city driving now but it's just road.
Appreciate the info and opinions guys. BE SAFE!
I think he’s right until you get a guy under you your stuck unless you want a supervisor position to do something else or you could be dealing with that stuff for a long time.

THAT;S unfortunate. I went driver apprentice because supervisor spot kept not working out for whatever reasons. Ugh, gonna be a long couple of months.thanks guys, here's hoping someone pops in here with diff info :(

THAT;S unfortunate. I went driver apprentice because supervisor spot kept not working out for whatever reasons. Ugh, gonna be a long couple of months.thanks guys, here's hoping someone pops in here with diff info :(

No bottom guy is always stuck with the sort of stuff you're talking about. It seems kind of crazy you have been there 2 years and are still the bottom guy. You must be at an end of the line center.

they did just hire one more city apprentice and posted 3 other city jobs for the public. Buuuuuut that doesn't help the next 2 months for me.lol

Oh trust me I've been on that argument forever now. Our Road has been so short for a whole year, to where yes I am considered a City Driver, but i've never been on a route, just a few things here and there. Prob be a year before the ones they are hiring are ready. That's why I was hoping there is some give in the system, since I wasn't lucky enough to be one of those others I hear about that work together so no one gets screwed with things like 5 day turns. lol. Appreciate the insight guys, but...Ugghhh.lol

Don’t pay any attention to the hardcore super truckers on here. Most of them still have a bump on their head from when they hit the clutch pedal after they fell out of their mother’s vagina.

I’ll give you this advice though. You can either figure it out now, or realize it later. You work in a seniority based system. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, how often you come in early, how many times you “do them a favor”, the person ahead of you is going to get to choose the perks before you do. Never work any harder than the people ahead of you. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do a good job. You should come in and do your job. But don’t wear yourself out trying to shine. Just do enough not to get fired. Once dispatch realizes you’re a hard worker, they’ll grind you hard and fast. The only thing working hard gets you here is more hard work.

You’re the bottom man on a FedEx Freight city board. It’s a crappy place to be in life. I know, I spent plenty of time there. You have no social life, barely see your family, and dread any weekend chores that need to be done because you’re exhausted. You have to be determined to work here. Even if you get off the bottom, don’t get comfortable. Once I thought I was done with it and moved up a little. There were a couple of drivers under me, I had a start time, a route and an assigned tractor. Then I got shoved right back down to doing double drop switches with hooked sets, working the dock, and doing late night turns (especially aggravating when it’s because a road hero came down with the snow shakes and called off), after we merged with National. Some of the drivers followed the freight to my terminal and slid in over the top of me. I almost quit over that. I’m glad I didn’t though. It took a long time, but it got better.

P.S. This is probably one of the last relevant posts you’re going to read in this thread. One of these crib death survivors will degenerate it into 3 pages of wondering how a hat fits over a bump on another drivers head.

Last edited:
Don’t pay any attention to the hardcore super truckers on here. Most of them still have a bump on their head from when they hit the clutch pedal after they fell out of their mother’s vagina.

I’ll give you this advice though. You can either figure it out now, or realize it later. You work in a seniority based system. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, how often you come in early, how many times you “do them a favor”, the person ahead of you is going to get to choose the perks before you do. Never work any harder than the people ahead of you. I’m not saying you shouldn’t do a good job. You should come in and do your job. But don’t wear yourself out trying to shine. Just do enough not to get fired. Once dispatch realizes you’re a hard worker, they’ll grind you hard and fast. The only thing working hard gets you here is more hard work.

You’re the bottom man on a FedEx Freight city board. It’s a crappy place to be in life. I know, I spent plenty of time there. You have no social life, barely see your family, and dread any weekend chores that need to be done because you’re exhausted. You have to be determined to work here. Even if you get off the bottom, don’t get comfortable. Once I thought I was done with it and moved up a little. There were a couple of drivers under me, I had a start time, a route and an assigned tractor. Then I got shoved right back down to doing double drop switches with hooked sets, working the dock, and doing late night turns (especially aggravating when it’s because a road hero came down with the snow shakes and called off), after we merged with National. Some of the drivers followed the freight to my terminal and slid in over the top of me. I almost quit over that. I’m glad I didn’t though. It took a long time, but it got better.

P.S. This is probably one of the last relevant posts you’re going to read in this thread. One of these crib death survivors will degenerate it into 3 pages of wondering how a hat fits over a bump on another drivers head.

Once dispatch realizes you’re a hard worker, they’ll grind you hard and fast. The only thing working hard gets you here is more hard work.

While the same people make 10 hr day out of 8 hr day in and day out on the same run every day because we can't send them anywhere else because they only know the one thing. ALL drivers need to be cross trained on numerous city routes but dispach just lets it go on and on the same leakers , ohhhh I have to take a 30 min crap now before I punch out , see ya.

Once dispatch realizes you’re a hard worker, they’ll grind you hard and fast. The only thing working hard gets you here is more hard work.

While the same people make 10 hr day out of 8 hr day in and day out on the same run every day because we can't send them anywhere else because they only know the one thing. ALL drivers need to be cross trained on numerous city routes but dispach just lets it go on and on the same leakers , ohhhh I have to take a 30 min crap now before I punch out , see ya.
Oh yeah. Guys like that are at every terminal. We have one (sometimes two guys) who can milk a 4-stop route for 8+ hours, while the rest of us go out with 13-18 (plus pickups) and get back in 8 or slightly more. They’re a special breed. By the way, that ‘30-minute crap’ comment was priceless!!

Oh yeah. Guys like that are at every terminal. We have one (sometimes two guys) who can milk a 4-stop route for 8+ hours, while the rest of us go out with 13-18 (plus pickups) and get back in 8 or slightly more. They’re a special breed. By the way, that ‘30-minute crap’ comment was priceless!!

We have some that can milk out local routes for 10+ they are professionals, even bring stuff back on a daily basis.

LOL , the guy that trashes his new truck takes a 35 min poop every day before coming up to check in so I asked why , he says...
"I can sit down here all I want I'm on the clock and will not punch out early , yep , okay , cool , my boss doesn't give a crap what I say so let him figure it out when something should done about this excuse (driver)

We have some that can milk out local routes for 10+ they are professionals, even bring stuff back on a daily basis.
Bring backs are mostly because of lazy drivers , and needing enough time to get pickups on , Sorry to say 22 years in the city and I brought freight back 3 times all because the dock destroyed the crap and customer seen and said get it hell out of here , I love that !