Yellow | $ spent in lodging???

libcfgh98

TB Lurker
Credits
ONE thing that just don't make sense is the wasted money on drivers in rat hole hotels/motels???? they need to stick with drivers meeting each other and turn....the money they pay out for the drivers to sit in a hotel past there hours is a JOKE.....there is no need for this just crap..i have seen drivers there days at a time?????? really??? they need another change of operations and someone that KNOWS what is going on??? there is a lot of wasted funds!

well for one thing they didn't give it enough time?? and they put them in the wrong places...then you have drivers that just could care less about the company and believe the company owes them the world!!! so they just don't try to make things happen for the company all about themselves......

well for one thing they didn't give it enough time?? and they put them in the wrong places...then you have drivers that just could care less about the company and believe the company owes them the world!!! so they just don't try to make things happen for the company all about themselves......

Every company has drivers like that.

1. To do meet & turns you will need twice the road power to do the work of one!
2. To do meet & turns you will need twice the manpower that you do on a single bed job.
3. If someone on a meet & turn breaks down in route or if there are delays because of weather you delay both the freight and the other driver. Throwing the whole system out of wack.

To do bed jobs,
1. Hotels
2. Layover and waiting time. (But not every trip)
3. Tractor pools stay fluid.

1. To do meet & turns you will need twice the road power to do the work of one!
How we currently send 1 tractor west and 1 east for 10 hr runs, we would still be using the same number of tractors but each driver gets to go home and sleep in his own bed at the end of the trip

2. To do meet & turns you will need twice the manpower that you do on a single bed job.
Same manpower each driver drives half way and then back home.

3. If someone on a meet & turn breaks down in route or if there are delays because of weather you delay both the freight and the other driver. Throwing the whole system out of wack.
Same thing happens if one driver breaks down, use the money saved on hotels to upgrade the fleet.

To do bed jobs,
1. Hotels
2. Layover and waiting time. (But not every trip)
3. Tractor pools stay fluid.

I guess it all depends on if you want to be home every day or not.............

Start by asking why meet and turns didn't work.
Every other LTL & package shipping company does this & have been doing this. When Roadway started meets & turns they still did laydowns along with meets. When freight slowed down they let the bed driver lay in the hotel & still did the meet. The bed drivers filed runaround when this happened. The bed drivers took this all the way to the change of operations committee. Roadway told the B.A. if you go through with this we will have another COO & do away with all meet & turn bids.
The drivers demanded to be paid & Roadway followed through with their threat. Oh yea, almost forgot.........PERIOD!

So language to prevent that would be the first step, doesn't make a lot of sense to me to leave a guy in bed anyway.
This is one of those issues where you need to hear why someone though that was a good idea................

I guess it all depends on if you want to be home every day or not.............

We used to do meet & turns out of Stroudsburg to meet with Ohio & Winston Drivers.
We would send a driver to Strattenville Pa to meet a Columbus Driver. So not only did we lose a tractor out of 120's pool doing the meet 242 also lost a tractor for the same 10 hours. Whereas if the 242 driver went to bed at 120 that tractor would be in 120's pool for the next 10 or so hours and we would have also not lost a tractor out of our pool.
It was all about power utilization. Getting the most of of your equipment. Did'nt work all the time but I did understand the reasoning behind it.

we run meet and turns at upsf with no problems. If someone breaks down sometimes the driver that didn't breakdown would go all the way to the other terminal. Our team drivers that are on meets do that sometimes too they go all the way to the other terminal if the other broke down. Or sometimes the meet driver has to wait there at the meet if the other driver broke down just have to take hours if you not gonna make it back.

The mileage and time are the same correct?
490 miles divided by 2 = 245 miles each driver would drive to the meet then drive 245 miles back it's still a total of 490 and 9 hrs for each driver the pool is a wash.
That is providing you are sending drivers both ways, but sooner or later the 120 driver has to return to 120 loaded or empty.

The mileage and time are the same correct?
490 miles divided by 2 = 245 miles each driver would drive to the meet then drive 245 miles back it's still a total of 490 and 9 hrs for each driver the pool is a wash.
That is providing you are sending drivers both ways, but sooner or later the 120 driver has to return to 120 loaded or empty.

That'd the other part of the equasion I forgot about about. Instead of send a driver with mts just send the frt all the way through. No empty miles.

If there is only freight moving 1 way then yes you are correct, but most lanes now think 309-135. 653 -135 have loads moving both ways odd numbers will have to go all the way through and lay down but I'm sure we have the ability to match M&T's and make it happen.

Motel costs are write offs.Most of the freight on the laydown lanes arent paying cheap.so write offs and freight paying rates.Make it feasible for motel costs.besides if meet and turns come into play.There would have to be a change of operations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Hotels are a tax write off. Wait time isn't a tax write off. Terminals can't get on the same page and get the freight out at the same time which equals a crap load of wait time. Organized companies can pull this off. Old D is pretty organized and don't pay wait time at turns, covered themselves by all angles of wasting money. Sucks for their drivers but they don't really sit and wait too often.