Spread Axle Trailers

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,

I have a quick question, what is the advantage of a spread axle trailer? I know 10 foot spread axle trailers are very popular in the flatbed trucking as well as climate controlled and the rear axle air can be dumped so they corner a tad easier, but as far as bridge formulas go and weight distribution is concerned is more of what my question is. I do see a few spread axle refer trailers not everyday, and not in any of the major refer fleets like Martin, CR England or Krelikamp, but the smaller companies or owner operators who have the custom truck and matching custom refer trailer. I know the matching refer trailers are very expensive $65,000+ dollars and usually those are spread axle.

I know there is something in the Ohio State Highway Patrols truck drivers guide about fixed axle spread axle trucks, but I do not totally understand it.

Anyhow thank you for your help.
Mike

With a closed set of tandems, you can scale 34,000 lbs. But with a spread axle, you can scale 20000 pounds per axle.

Guardrail

Thanks Guardrail. Spread Axles are cool then because you can scale 40,000 pounds 20,000 per axle so you can carry more weight in a spread axle truck, which would make sense as to why they have them in flatbed trucking and why some o/o also have them.

There is an owner operator who delivers to Sysco Cleveland and he has a really nice truck beautiful maroon color and he has a matching stainless steel refer trailer that is also very nice and his trailer is spread axle.

Thanks Guardrail. Spread Axles are cool then because you can scale 40,000 pounds 20,000 per axle so you can carry more weight in a spread axle truck, which would make sense as to why they have them in flatbed trucking and why some o/o also have them.

There is an owner operator who delivers to Sysco Cleveland and he has a really nice truck beautiful maroon color and he has a matching stainless steel refer trailer that is also very nice and his trailer is spread axle.
Is it a Moroon KW and does it say "Jacobs" on the door?

Is it a Moroon KW and does it say "Jacobs" on the door?

I think it is a Maroon Kenworth and it says Ohio, Indian, Illinois Express somewhere on the sleeper it may very well also say Jacobs on the door. It's a really nice truck and a very nice trailer to boot. Does he deliver to C.A.Curtz as well?

Double R do you ever run into, Ohio once in a while? I know Hillcrest Food Service of Cleveland goes to western Pennsylvania you ever see them around?

I think it is a Maroon Kenworth and it says Ohio, Indian, Illinois Express somewhere on the sleeper it may very well also say Jacobs on the door. It's a really nice truck and a very nice trailer to boot. Does he deliver to C.A.Curtz as well?
Jacobs delivers to the food service company I use to work for in Pittsburgh. He's a single truck operator and has been for years. I know were he parks the truck also. It's not far from my shuttle yard. The truck and trailer your described matched what he owns. If I see it parked, I'll try to get a picture.
I never see the Curtze warehouse. I run out of a shuttle yard.

Double R do you ever run into, Ohio once in a while? I know Hillcrest Food Service of Cleveland goes to western Pennsylvania you ever see them around?

I run to St. Clairsville, that is as far as I go into Ohio. Our Cranberry, PA yard runs to East Liverpool and Steubenville. The rest of Ohio is covered by Northern.

I run to St. Clairsville, that is as far as I go into Ohio. Our Cranberry, PA yard runs to East Liverpool and Steubenville. The rest of Ohio is covered by Northern.

It would make sense that Northern Haserot does the rest of Ohio. I never see C.A. Curtze in Cleveland, Northern Haserot is a fairly big operation too. Curtze is also the parent company of JFS food service of Rochester, NY I didn't know that, but I don't know a lot about all these regional suppliers especially the ones in like New York State.

Brandt was a meat company here in Cleveland and Northern was a frozen foods company in Cleveland and Haserot was a whole sale grocer and C.A. Curtze merged them all together and created Northern Haserot Brandt.

Northern Haserot does all of Ohio and Detroit, and C.A. Curtze does a lot of Pennsylvania, some West Virginia and some western New York State except for like Philadelphia and the far eastern part of P.A. and then JFS does like Rochester,NY to Utica.

JFS looks to be the smallest of the operations. C.A.Curtze and NHB seem to both be pretty big though. Curtze might be a tad bigger then NHB but they seem to be pretty close. PA is a big state and you guys at Curtz do a good portion of upstate NY as well with some WV so I think you guys beat NHB. I will say this NHB has a very clean fleet of trucks, painted nicely and all in real good shape.

Curtze has a yard in Canonsburg, PA(south of Pittsburgh), Cranberry, PA(north of Pittsburgh), Buffalo, NY, Altoona, PA, and Lewistown, PA. That helps the coverage.

Curtze has a yard in Canonsburg, PA(south of Pittsburgh), Cranberry, PA(north of Pittsburgh), Buffalo, NY, Altoona, PA, and Lewistown, PA. That helps the coverage.

So does that mean C.A.Curtze has a lot of shuttle trucks going out day and night from the main facility in Erie? Or does C.A.Curtze run shuttle trucks to the JFS facility at times? Like here in Ohio I have never ever seen a NHB truck pulling a C.A.Curtze trailer or vice versa. It seems like the do a really good job of keeping everything separate and technically they are separate operating business and NHB in Cleveland has it's own receiving dock and has stuff shipped in from where it is sourced.

Unlike US Foods where you would see a US Foods truck from Peabody,MA doing a route in Cleveland and didn't US Foods buy some company named Northstar food service or something like that a couple years ago? Used to see a lot of nice older Freightliners pulling US Foodservice Trailers.

Even once in a while, and it's rare but once in a blue moon I swear Sysco Cleveland will get there hands on a Sysco truck from another Sysco operating company. It is not common and does not happen often, but I swear one time I saw a Sysco truck from Sysco of Raleigh up here in Cleveland. I don't know if one warehouse bought it used from the other and they just didn't bother to remark it, because from what I have seen Sysco is pretty liberal about letting there operating companies buy equipment that they would like to have. Sysco of Cleveland has a lot of Macks, Volvo's and Freightliners. The Freightliners I am starting to see a lot more, and they all have the new logos. However Sysco here in Cleveland operates a fairly old trailer fleet, however that's okay because I like Sysco's old cube logo better, just my preference.

Like here in Cleveland, Sysco Cleveland also covers Columbus, because there is no official Sysco Food Service of Columbus. There is a Sygma of Columbus, but Sygma is for big chains and Sysco isn't and all day and night you see Sysco Food Service of Cleveland pulling either a 53 footer or doubles usually doubles especially at night down I-71 to Columbus. They probably go other places in Ohio to. I know the only other Sysco operating company in Ohio is Sysco of Cincinnati.

However Sysco does have Malcolm Meats in Toledo, Ohio and I thought didn't Sysco at one point in time have some kind of meat packing plant in Jamestown, New York or am I mistaken?

So does that mean C.A.Curtze has a lot of shuttle trucks going out day and night from the main facility in Erie? Or does C.A.Curtze run shuttle trucks to the JFS facility at times? Like here in Ohio I have never ever seen a NHB truck pulling a C.A.Curtze trailer or vice versa. It seems like the do a really good job of keeping everything separate and technically they are separate operating business and NHB in Cleveland has it's own receiving dock and has stuff shipped in from where it is sourced.

Unlike US Foods where you would see a US Foods truck from Peabody,MA doing a route in Cleveland and didn't US Foods buy some company named Northstar food service or something like that a couple years ago? Used to see a lot of nice older Freightliners pulling US Foodservice Trailers.

Even once in a while, and it's rare but once in a blue moon I swear Sysco Cleveland will get there hands on a Sysco truck from another Sysco operating company. It is not common and does not happen often, but I swear one time I saw a Sysco truck from Sysco of Raleigh up here in Cleveland. I don't know if one warehouse bought it used from the other and they just didn't bother to remark it, because from what I have seen Sysco is pretty liberal about letting there operating companies buy equipment that they would like to have. Sysco of Cleveland has a lot of Macks, Volvo's and Freightliners. The Freightliners I am starting to see a lot more, and they all have the new logos. However Sysco here in Cleveland operates a fairly old trailer fleet, however that's okay because I like Sysco's old cube logo better, just my preference.

Like here in Cleveland, Sysco Cleveland also covers Columbus, because there is no official Sysco Food Service of Columbus. There is a Sygma of Columbus, but Sygma is for big chains and Sysco isn't and all day and night you see Sysco Food Service of Cleveland pulling either a 53 footer or doubles usually doubles especially at night down I-71 to Columbus. They probably go other places in Ohio to. I know the only other Sysco operating company in Ohio is Sysco of Cincinnati.

However Sysco does have Malcolm Meats in Toledo, Ohio and I thought didn't Sysco at one point in time have some kind of meat packing plant in Jamestown, New York or am I mistaken?

All three run completely separate. Northern even has its own contract.