ST. LOUIS, MO - Deadly Crash On I-64 Takes Life Of Bethalto Truck Driver

rowdy

TB Regular
Credits
2uysyef.jpg

Highway 40 reopens after fatal truck crash
Deadly Crash On I-64 At Taylor Takes Life Of Bethalto Truck Driver - KTVI

probably fell asleep at the wheel. sysco works and treats its employees worse than slaves . hrs are exceptionally long . never understood how a semi driver can single handedly manually unload a 48 footer down a ramp for 14 hours and be expected to drive the next day to do the same thing all over again . something has to give .....eventually. rip my brother

I did not work with the gentleman . My experiences with sysco were at the seattle barn that can best be described as legalized slavery .

the seattle sysco house was teamster local 117 .however in this case , it seemed like the company called all the shots . not even once did I see the union agent on the floor . they were fast in collecting dues but stayed mum when the rank and file needed representation . you'd never know this was a union shop . harrasement from supervisors was a daily thing . one dude in particular was a total control freak. guy was a midget , so i guess small man complex was in effect . would never even say a simple goodmorning.chewed tobacco constantly . little bastard .hated shorty .

started off at 18 and topped off at 23 after 3 yr .worked there for 4 months until 03072009. work enviroment in this particular house was terrible . no one was ever happy .management ran the shop like a labor camp .Once I got a call at 0400 to show up to work asap. while showering , the freaking sup calls back . my wife picks up the phn and without offering any apologies , he tells my wife to tell me I wasn't needed ! 'dude didn't say 'sorry to bother you' or anything close to that. what the hecks with that ??!!!! seriously the prevailing atitude was we needed them more that they needed us.

probably fell asleep at the wheel. sysco works and treats its employees worse than slaves . hrs are exceptionally long . never understood how a semi driver can single handedly manually unload a 48 footer down a ramp for 14 hours and be expected to drive the next day to do the same thing all over again . something has to give .....eventually. rip my brother

Just to clears somethings up. The driver did not fall asleep. It was early morning and what happend was a school bus pulled out in front of him and he had no time to stop. The bus driver was at fault. I work at the KC house and were getting dash cameras in all the trucks and they already have them at the STL house. The bus company sent Sysco a bill for a new bus and STL sent them the video of their driver causing the accident.

Just to clears somethings up. The driver did not fall asleep. It was early morning and what happend was a school bus pulled out in front of him and he had no time to stop. The bus driver was at fault. I work at the KC house and were getting dash cameras in all the trucks and they already have them at the STL house. The bus company sent Sysco a bill for a new bus and STL sent them the video of their driver causing the accident.

Awesome! Those things and the Vorad will tell the tale, as long as I'm driving like I should, there isn't anything to worry about, back in the day the driver would automatically be at fault, not these days though.

Keep thinking that.......at my house we have had the cams for about 2 weeks and they are already hard-nose....at this rate we will be fired by spring.

Keep thinking that.......at my house we have had the cams for about 2 weeks and they are already hard-nose....at this rate we will be fired by spring.
Hi Kid welcome abaord!!!!! We are getting cameras too, but they are looking at us drivers, on a loop, if I can't turn it away I will look for something else, I love working for Sysco but cameras looking at me is where I draw the line.

My buddy that works at Sysco Asian Foods they have cameras in there trucks and one points out the front window and the other points at him. I would not want to work for a company that has cameras in the trucks.

There are alot of drivers that do this everyday and not just food drivers. What about beer or pop dist? Auto parts or tires? its part of the business not everything is easy. Sometimes gotta work hard.

That was a very sad day for us in St. Louis. But to clear things up, the cameras were not installed at the time of the accident, so there was no video. The management said that mechanical failure was ruled out almost immediately (I don't know how). Unfortunately we don't know what caused the accident and probably never will.

We do work 65~70 hours in five days, and most of us average 5 hours of sleep each night during the week. I kind of doubt he fell asleep because he was running downtown with short hops between stops.

I think the cameras we have now are a great idea in theory, in terms of the liability issues when an accident occurs. But in the hands of management, who collectively has "a weeks worth of driving experience" according to our shop steward, they are just another tool for harassment. Drivers have been suspended for smoking, fired for not wearing seat belts (when maneuvering in a parking lot), and written up for some stupid thing every time we have to brake hard.

Much like Seattle, the only thing separating the job from slavery is the paycheck.