Central Transport | St. Louis Mo. Yard

shank

TB Lurker
Credits
Looking for new LTL job. I drove by the St. Louis yard and it looks like a nice place. Lots of bad news on this forum though. Can anyone who has been there tell me what it is like?

Nice place? That's super funny cause it is right in the middle of the ghetto and could easily get shot just driving there from what I hear. I have been there before and don't feel safe until I'm gone and don't forget anything in your truck because it will be stolen within the hour from what I have heard. I am thinking about JB hunt or McDonalds for something alittle more secure and rewarding. I would just keep on driving by but be careful of the drive-bye's.

Honestly, research the company more before deciding. Look at the CSA scores (the maintenance score alone should sway your decision). Look at OSHA's list of open and closed complaints against the company. Look up the number of lawsuits the company has been a party to in the past several years. There is a lot of negativity on this forum, but from just what we (my husband and I) have seen from our terminal here, there isn't a lot about which to be positive. The company is operating at a 1.05 ratio (not sure if that is US combined or just our terminal), which means they are losing money. There are at least two open OSHA investigations about which I know right now, possibly more (I haven't checked recently). I've spoken to friends in the industry and they have said that Vitran is on the way out, judging from everything that has happened recently. But don't just read this forum - do some research and determine all this for yourself.

Lisa, do you AND your husband work for Vitran at the same terminal????? Now about St. Louis, Jared is gone so things will be a little more driver friendly. Finally anyone who new Marty in Chi, should say a prayer for his family.

Lisa, do you AND your husband work for Vitran at the same terminal????? Now about St. Louis, Jared is gone so things will be a little more driver friendly. Finally anyone who new Marty in Chi, should say a prayer for his family.
No, only Jim does. I thought - briefly - about applying for office, but after hearing what he goes through with the office people there, I wouldn't be able to handle it without a LOT of bail money. ;-) Besides, I need to find something more flexible, because of the kids and my classes.

And we are definitely keeping Marty's family, friends and fellow drivers in our prayers.