Stan Musial, St. Louis Cardinals great, dies at 92

kevin653

TB Lurker
Credits
Stan Musial, “Stan the Man,” who was the National League’s preeminent player in the decade after World War II and whose 22 seasons playing the outfield and first base for the St. Louis Cardinals earned him a place in baseball’s Hall of Fame, died at his home in Ladue, Mo., at the age of 92, according to the Cardinals.

“We have lost the most beloved member of the Cardinals family,” said William DeWitt
Obit_Lillian_Musial.jpg
Jr., chairman of the St. Louis Cardinals in a statement posted on the team’s website. “Stan Musial was the greatest player in Cardinals history and one of the best players in the history of baseball.”

Stan Musial, St. Louis Cardinals great, dies at 92 - Baseball - Boston.com

Very very sad news for Cardinals Nation !! He was a hell of a person and a great ambassador for the Cards all these years .

Stan Musial, “Stan the Man,” who was the National League’s preeminent player in the decade after World War II and whose 22 seasons playing the outfield and first base for the St. Louis Cardinals earned him a place in baseball’s Hall of Fame, died at his home in Ladue, Mo., at the age of 92, according to the Cardinals.

“We have lost the most beloved member of the Cardinals family,” said William DeWitt
Obit_Lillian_Musial.jpg
Jr., chairman of the St. Louis Cardinals in a statement posted on the team’s website. “Stan Musial was the greatest player in Cardinals history and one of the best players in the history of baseball.”

Stan Musial, St. Louis Cardinals great, dies at 92 - Baseball - Boston.com

I had the honor of sitting with him and Ozzie Smith at a Cardinals luncheon . My wife much to my embarrassment at the time ask Stan if he brought his harmonica to the luncheon . He looked at her and then with a big smile pulled it out and started playing " take Me out to the ballgame " . The whole room stopped talking and started singing when he finished the all erupted into applause . He looked at my wife and with a grin said Thanks I was waiting on someone to ask me to play LOL . We enjoyed the lunch but the thing I will always remember was he grin and the joy in his eyes . A great and I mean great ballplayer but also a great person .

He played a few generations before my time, but I saw his career stats while at the Cards. Holy Cow! #1 on just about every category. Seems like it said 24 All Star Games. Unbelievable. He must have been awesome. Hate to see these old fellers go.

Many of today's sports figures would do well to study this man's life to learn how to be a true sports hero. People like Stan could look back on their life's accomplishments with pride. Many of today's sports figures would have difficulty finding much to be proud of.

Not in today's world. The athletes nowadays are content having the little asterisk (*) next to their records.

example:

Mark McGuire-----70 home runs
*Steroid user*
Lance Armstrong------7 time Tour de Farce winner
*doper*

There's not a moral bone in their body.

Just today several more active players were implicated in a report on banned substances in major league baseball. I wonder what Stan thought of the "juiced up" players of today. The latest list includes some big names. I have heard sports figures say that they are not role models & their goal is to be rich & famous. Young people look up to superstars but I will agree that so many of them are not role models at least not they type that should be looked on favorably.

Driving home today and all the talk on the radio ( sports ) was about A-Roid !! Maybe that's why he waited so late in the year to get his surgery so his system would be clean when he came back . Also funny that Cashman ( GM for Yankees ) said just the other day that A-Roid might just not be back at all this year because of the timing of his surgery !!

Just today several more active players were implicated in a report on banned substances in major league baseball. I wonder what Stan thought of the "juiced up" players of today. The latest list includes some big names. I have heard sports figures say that they are not role models & their goal is to be rich & famous. Young people look up to superstars but I will agree that so many of them are not role models at least not they type that should be looked on favorably.

Today it is all about the money, for all parties involved. The legacy of the game is meaningless today in general, maybe with the exception of guys like Jeter. That guy understands that the game is bigger than he is , and that he is privileged to be in the position he is in,an iconic player in the legacy of the NY Yankees. He knows he is putting on the same uniform that Ruth , Gehrig , DiMaggio , Mantle and on wore. I was lucky enough to see the Mick play live once. When going to a real game was all about hot dogs, peanuts, and the thrill of seeing your heroes, which you heard about on the radio , or if you were luck , the tv . Its all different now , its a shame. I feel sorry for the people today that will never have the righteous feeling that went along with seeing the older guys play, making genuine memories that will last a lifetime. The only meaning the number 7 has ever had for me always went back to seeing the Mick at Fenway ,a long . long time ago, but still fresh on my mind. Tough being a Yankee fan in Boston , but blame it on the Mick. ( Sorry Ted, but you had attitude back then. )

It's a shame that a father (like me) with a teenage son has to try to screen all of the players and their pasts for my son. I find myself steering him away from the ones who have a bad record of behavior. I don't like to, but I don't want him idolizing cheaters and trouble makers. I know that we have more access to their personal lives than we did when I was a kid, but I sure don't remember so many athletes being cheaters and trouble makers. This new generation of athletes turns my stomach.