TForce | Standards!

Skeeter

TB Veteran
Credits
UPS Freight: Raise Their Standards or Slash Ours?

Some Freight Division officers say we need to make givebacks because UPS Freight poses a threat to Yellow, Roadway, ABF and other union carriers.

The contract signed at Indianapolis UPS Freight by Hoffa and Ken Hall is far below the NMFA. The contract there includes a frozen company pension, $150/month employee co-pays for healthcare,and low-paid part-timers.

No doubt the substandard UPS Freight contract in Indianapolis is a threat to the NMFA, especially because UPS Freight is now going to move into long-haul freight.
But the UPS Freight contract covers only one terminal. Instead of slashing our standards, local unions and the Freight Division should organize UPS Freight terminals, and bargain jointly with the company to win NMFA standards.

That's a union solution that freight Teamsters can get behind. Bring UPS Freight up, not the NMFA down.

The International Union is refusing to give out information or copies of the tentative deal. It is possible that a quickie vote may be held after they release the tentative agreement in early January.

Get the facts. Talk with other Teamsters. It's your contract, your union and your decision.

Alway's remember what our Brother and Sisters fought for!! Dont sell out as these companies have HUGE profits!! We the skilled tradesman play a part in the operation!!! Why settle for less when their are months to negiotate!! A good negiotiator alway's knows NOT to settle first, but to set the starting negiotation from the initial offering!! Ther is more to be GOTTON!!!!!!!! Stay United and Numbers will show our strenght!

Was this contract part of the negotiating plan to make it easier to get out of the Central States Pension?
I think UPS is paying about 6.1 billion to get out and the Teamsters are saying that's enough to shore up underfunding for many many years to come.

Just a thought.

Are you willing to strike? That is what it would take to get something like NMFA. Tell your fellow employees that all they need to do to win that contract is strike the company. You will be in a very small minority, that you yourself would leave, also what is this crap about not seeing the contract? Some of you guys are critical of the contract though you admit you haven't seen it?

Was this contract part of the negotiating plan to make it easier to get out of the Central States Pension?
I think UPS is paying about 6.1 billion to get out and the Teamsters are saying that's enough to shore up underfunding for many many years to come.

Just a thought.

Yes, it was all part of the deal. Card check was part of the deal. So was the fact the the ending date of the UPSF contract is 7-31-2013. The same as the parcel NMA. So for the next contract UPSF workers will have a stronger bargaining position. Hopefully, with 100 or more terminals neg. at the same time.

It's all opinions not crap. Sometimes we don't all agree with each others opinions but that doesn't necessarily mean it's crap. Look around you will see lots of opinions voiced by folks that don't have a clue what they are talking about. It goes with a message board.

Actually an opinion board might be a better name for it.

It's all opinions not crap. Sometimes we don't all agree with each others opinions but that doesn't necessarily mean it's crap. Look around you will see lots of opinions voiced by folks that don't have a clue what they are talking about. It goes with a message board.

Actually an opinion board might be a better name for it.

The reason I call it crap, is becuase in one sentence the contract is weak and the next is the teamsters won't let me see the contract. Is it weak? or have you read it? It can't be both, you have either read it and you think it is weak, or you have not read it but say it is weak. If it is the latter, then it is CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! :nutkick::chairshot::1036316054:

Yes, it was all part of the deal. Card check was part of the deal. So was the fact the the ending date of the UPSF contract is 7-31-2013. The same as the parcel NMA. So for the next contract UPSF workers will have a stronger bargaining position. Hopefully, with 100 or more terminals neg. at the same time.

That's where my assumptions are heading.
UPS had to bend over and take one in the rear to get what they want this time. (Out of Central States)
Seems like they took it slow and steady with this "first ever" contract. That's until we merge the dates with parcel.(as you stated)

Unfortunately, a fair amount of people at my barn will vote no. They want it now rather than later.

Well than in my opinion theres some real sweet items in the NMFA thats been bargained for over a very long period of time.
UPS is never going to just hand over things like zero contributions for health care,along with a few other goodies that the Teamster represented companies have agreed to have in their contracts over time.
Also the Teamsters pension fund.

Now this may just be my opinion,but I feel the Teamsters may have figured that it would be very useless trying to get a contract that would be totally unatainable.
So they asked UPS for a lesser more atainable contract.

In other words if you have to go to war knowing you can never win the battle why would you bother?

The Teamsters knew very well they would never be able to get UPS to agree with just handing over the NMFA to us,so they told us from the start we could just forget it.

That's where my assumptions are heading.
UPS had to bend over and take one in the rear to get what they want this time. (Out of Central States)
Seems like they took it slow and steady with this "first ever" contract. That's until we merge the dates with parcel.(as you stated)

Unfortunately, a fair amount of people at my barn will vote no. They want it now rather than later.

Then they will remain as they are now. If that is what they choose, then that is good for them. Though there will be no vote. The deal is 50% +1 sign union cards and they are verified by an arbitrator, and the terminal is then a union represented terminal.:1036316054:

As for the contracts NMFA vs. Indy. One thing in our favor is $4.50 an hour in raises vs. $2.25 an hour in the NMFA. Close but not exact numbers if anyone wants to get picky. I am not saying in favor or not in favor of either contract. It does seem like a divide & conquer strategy on the companies part. I say plural cause if ya think UPS & YRC are not in this together think again.

They can vote no all they want on this contract. Unless they are willing to walk out, and take their chances as a stand alone svc ctr. They are not going to get NMFA concessions this time around. As liebstandarte has said, it is no coincidence that the new freight contract expires with the NMA for the parcel guys. That is when we will finally have some real power to get NMFA type concessions. But again it all goes back to strength, If we do not have a strong majority of guys willing to stick together and back up their demands with action, then there is no point in even talking about wanting NMFA standards.

Under The Nmfa What Are The Medical Benefits Compared To Us.do They Have To Pay For It Just Like Us Or Is It Still Free.

Just FYI - nothing is free. Everything has a net cost. Just because you do not see a $ amount coming out of your check, doesn't mean you are not paying for it. (ie lower wages, older equipment, etc.)

UPS is committed to a total compensation $$$. How the contract splits that up between pay and benefits will have to be negotiated. If you expect there not to be $$$ amount coming out of your check then be prepared for smaller raises over the length of the contract.

Alway's remember what our Brother and Sisters fought for!! Dont sell out as these companies have HUGE profits!! We the skilled tradesman play a part in the operation!!! Why settle for less when their are months to negiotate!! A good negiotiator alway's knows NOT to settle first, but to set the starting negiotation from the initial offering!! Ther is more to be GOTTON!!!!!!!! Stay United and Numbers will show our strenght!

Very good point. That is what has me concerned about the teamsters. Why do they feel the need to settle so fast on the contract. That is why I'm suspicious about what is in this contract. And the fact they are for big business rather than the working man like they use to be. Oh yea using time is changing as an excuse.

Are you willing to strike? That is what it would take to get something like NMFA. Tell your fellow employees that all they need to do to win that contract is strike the company. You will be in a very small minority, that you yourself would leave, also what is this crap about not seeing the contract? Some of you guys are critical of the contract though you admit you haven't seen it?

You can't be much of a teamster if you want all the benefits but unwilling to strike if need be.

You can't be much of a teamster if you want all the benefits but unwilling to strike if need be.

It's not about being unwilling to strike. It's about power and relationship. 1 or 2 terminals refusing to sign onto a contract and walking out on strike is stupid. You have no power. Now, 100 terminals joined together with the parcel guys behind us, that is power. You'll never get the kind of concessions you want when you are unreasoanable about your relative strength to force the companies hand. This contract is a good first step that needs all of us to get behind so that the next time this thing comes around we have the strength - Power and Relationship to get the concessions we want.

Even Eisenhauer knew it would be a bad idea for a few guys with slingshots and a canoe to storm Normandy. We have to be in building phase right now, and the key to it is solidarity under the contract we are going to get now. Let's not be senseless martyrs. Take what we can get now, which by the way is better than what we have now without a contract, and prepare for the future.

I am not teamster, and a strike is the worst way to solve issues. If both the company and the union are so hard that they can not make reasonable concessions to benefit the greater good of both the company and the union of workers, then it is time to get rid of both the leadership of the company and the union. That is what happened in 97' with UPS and the Teamsters. The pres. of UPS and the Teamsters were gone within the year. I would never support a strike for NMFA, when I can continue working and compromise and come to a fair middle ground. A hard head says 'NMFA or nothing' . I will not stand with a numb skull and will not be lead by one. 'Reason' is what separates us from the rest of the animals on this planet. God gave us a higher mind. I intend to use it. You sir are no brother of mine and are not really interested in the union. You have been against the union as long as I have been on this sight. Now that the union is on the door step and you know the company is not going to stop it, so you try to be coy by saying we can't go union unless we hold out for somethimg you know quiet well will never happen(NMFA) only to stall the thing you are and have always been against; The union at your dear old ovnt. ovnt is gone and you just can't face that fact. If you work for UPS, you will need a union of workers.:smilie_132:

I am not teamster, and a strike is the worst way to solve issues. If both the company and the union are so hard that they can not make reasonable concessions to benefit the greater good of both the company and the union of workers, then it is time to get rid of both the leadership of the company and the union. That is what happened in 97' with UPS and the Teamsters. The pres. of UPS and the Teamsters were gone within the year. I would never support a strike for NMFA, when I can continue working and compromise and come to a fair middle ground. A hard head says 'NMFA or nothing' . I will not stand with a numb skull and will not be lead by one. 'Reason' is what separates us from the rest of the animals on this planet. God gave us a higher mind. I intend to use it. You sir are no brother of mine and are not really interested in the union. You have been against the union as long as I have been on this sight. Now that the union is on the door step and you know the company is not going to stop it, so you try to be coy by saying we can't go union unless we hold out for somethimg you know quiet well will never happen(NMFA) only to stall the thing you are and have always been against; The union at your dear old ovnt. ovnt is gone and you just can't face that fact. If you work for UPS, you will need a union of workers.:smilie_132:

Again you don't know what the crap you are talking about. :butt kiss: