FedEx Freight | Starting FedEx road driver pay/benefits

chieftain

TB Lurker
Credits
I am sure this has been asked 1000 times before, but I was hoping some of you all might have some current/2011 figures info for me (I am new to the boards, so don't flame me out if this has been answered recently :-)

In the far south Chicagoland area, what can a new road driver expect to pull in per week/hour, and is overtime generally available? I know you do not top out for three years, etc. Also, how is it with layoffs as a rule? Are things pretty solid? The gig I have now is ok, so Fedex would sort of have to "bring it" for me to switch. Any other details or comments, both positive and negative, would be greatly appreciated. Just make sure said comments are constructive please. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees as far as hours/miles. They may give their opinion as to how many but, that is just an opinion. Somebody else in that region can answer the wage Q. It varies from region

Hours and miles vary greatly by location. Out in the middle of the sticks in a relay location will get you the most. Large urban areas would tend to involve shorter runs and more time driving a forklift. Until they figure out how this new thing is going to shake out, I wouldn't leave a sure thing for this.

Drive 40 miles to the hub, bust your set, work the dock for 8 hours, red shirts hollaring at you about 7 bills per hour.
Extraboard = sit around, wait by the phone, maybe get 1-2 runs per week (if you're lucky).
When freight slows, they don't layoff.
They'll just starve you out so you quit and they don't have to pay unemployment benefits.
Real class act we've got running this circus.
Morons haven't shown a profit in like 2 years.

I hear you but its the rare transfer company that's shown a profit or hasn't made :shit:ty cutbacks the last couple years.

don't listen to this guy, he's one of those 'hater' trolls.

Drive 40 miles to the hub, bust your set, work the dock for 8 hours, red shirts hollaring at you about 7 bills per hour.
Extraboard = sit around, wait by the phone, maybe get 1-2 runs per week (if you're lucky).
When freight slows, they don't layoff.
They'll just starve you out so you quit and they don't have to pay unemployment benefits.
Real class act we've got running this circus.
Morons haven't shown a profit in like 2 years.

So all in all stay put where I am and let the economy shake out a little bit more. Gotcha. Shame, as far as driving jobs go, I figured FedEx had it much better than most.

With the Hours of Service changes that are coming and the Mexican trucks that will be rolling across the USA this summer, I just don't know which way for you to go. But, Fedex freight is not done in Chicagoland yet. There are more projects coming 1-3 years out.

Yup. The amigos are gonna really throw a wrench into the works when they start rolling their rattletraps up North. Seeing as Chicago is the nations hub for a lot of freight, I suppose it makes it a better area to be in. What projects are you referring to? Thanks.

Listen I just finished my first year CGT but 1/2 was at CGX and made 70000 dollars. You will not make this at another company however I worked the dock and ran the pad on extra basis. It will only get better but leave your other job running and believe me I know what I am talking about. You probably made tops 48000 and you can make that falling out of bed at FedEX

Listen driver most of the drivers at FedEX have not worked at other companies so they do not understand that this is a great situation.

As far as LTL it's a good job. Guys get the "grass is greener" ideas real easy here

You Suck where do you work at alaska. I made a lot of money the first year and see a lot of drivers i Met and all of them are happy. You must work for yellow.

Okay can I ask I am on extra board and i worked CGT all last year so I see a lot of drivers that I worked the dock with at different facilities. (that was a run on). Most drivers are happy with the bid and are making 70 - 90 thousand a year. What do you expect? You can always transfer to a better location. FedEx gives you every opportunity and yet you still ***** so I dont give a ::shit:: quit crying. I will make over 80000 this year and then 90000 next year at least. I like to hear your good stories but quit crying.

No crying here, just want the real deal if I am offered a position. I still don't understand the whole working the dock thing. I think everyone should work a truly ridiculous trucking job before moving to ltl. Any ltl company. What I mean by ridiculous? :shit:ty CSA ratings that get your company dot'd every time you go thru a scalehouse. Sketchy equipment. The inability to make any real money without running illegal. School of hard knocks will help get minds right, believe you me.

FedEx freight all drivers work the dock ( well most drivers ) like in Kansas city you drive to Wichita work the dock for 2 to 3+ hours and drive back. That's typical work and runs here for newer guys. If you run over 400 miles then you don't have to work the dock ( break trailers load etc ) hope that explains