SAIA | starting out

:usa:If your out of a large terminal chances are you will be system driver (extra runs / vacation fill in ) on call.

If your out of a satellite terminal you might have set run?

Top out at .60 per mile

For scheduling, you'll start out as a system driver aka extra driver. You may fill in on a scheduled run, run an unscheduled run or you may pack a bag and be gone for a few days. Your terminal will call you or text you when they're finished planning the loads. You can also check the employee website for your schedule for the evening.

Starting pay for experienced drivers is .51 for now, on July 1, starting pay is bumped up to .54 and full scale is .60 after six months. Benefits are great IMHO, $10/week for single insurance with a low deductible, and you're eligible after 90 days..

I check the website but when I get to the terminal I check the time clock. Several times, Central has made a last minute change.

I'm a new member here and hoping to get on with Saia in the not too distant future. I have some questions. What is top pay for a driver and how long does it take to reach it? 90 days until insurance eligible? Do you guys get paid drop/hook time, wait time or for breakdown? Get to work the dock? I'm sure I'll have more questions if I get hired. Thanks!

To all the guys that are lucky enough to get on here at SAIA ... Understand that IMO you will be working for the best LTL company in the business. We have absolutely without a doubt the best healthcare in the business. Nothing is perfect but in the world of LTL it gets no better than SAIA. I absolutely love this company. I am extremely anti-union so please don't bring that agenda over here. If you want that I believe YRC ... ABF .... Holland .... are hiring.

Linebaugh, just remember that you are a number, an asset, a hole filler,nothing more, nothing less. Central does not want to hear from you, except under certain conditions, and your trainer can fill you in on those. You will be told when to start, what to pull, the system will tell you when you are expected to arrive at your destination. All this company wants is for you to show up, ready to work, and for you to operate safely. No super truckers, no hauling ass to impress the bosses, just do the job and then get the hell out of the way. Good Luck.

You will be told when to start, what to pull, the system will tell you when you are expected to arrive at your destination. All this company wants is for you to show up, ready to work, and for you to operate safely.
This seems like a pretty good deal to me. It's nothing more than any company would ask. I think this company really appreciates us as long as we drive safely and do our job. Your post appears to imply that you have a bit of an attitude. No one in this business is indispensable. Drivers just like managers are expected to do their job. We are all essential to be successful. If you do your job you will retire at one of the fastest growing LTL companies in the business. However if you become a liability you will be replaced. To say we are just a number and the company just wants us to get the hell out of the way seems a bit unfair. So I left out the rest of your post with the assumption you were just having a bad day. It happens from time to time. I know I don't feel that way. I feel appreciated. I am very grateful to work at SAIA.

Last edited:
Runaway, That is not what I wrote. I posted,
All this company wants is for you to show up, ready to work, and for you to operate safely. No super truckers, no hauling ass to impress the bosses, just do the job and then get the hell out of the way.
Somehow you tumbled that to
To say we are just a number and the company just wants us to get the hell out of the way seems a bit unfair.
What, the company wants us to hang around and sing the company song like the employees at Walmart?
We've both been company defenders for a long time, but we differ when it comes to work validation. You need to be appreciated, me my appreciation comes every Wednesday. I have a great work attitude. I seldom miss due to sickness and I do my job. Apparently, the only difference in us is that you need an atta boy every so often and I couldn't care less for one.
I don't know what you do for Saia or how long that you have been here.I work Linehaul. I've been here since Saia was an I-10 company from Florida to Texas. The relationship between the company and me is very simple. The company lays out the work rules, I follow the work rules. I play nice with the other employees and I do my job according to the company rules and for that effort, the company pays me.
If you need a more complicated relationship then that, then more power to you. There is no right or wrong answer.

Runaway, That is not what I wrote. I posted,
All this company wants is for you to show up, ready to work, and for you to operate safely. No super truckers, no hauling ass to impress the bosses, just do the job and then get the hell out of the way.
Somehow you tumbled that to
To say we are just a number and the company just wants us to get the hell out of the way seems a bit unfair.
What, the company wants us to hang around and sing the company song like the employees at Walmart?
We've both been company defenders for a long time, but we differ when it comes to work validation. You need to be appreciated, me my appreciation comes every Wednesday. I have a great work attitude. I seldom miss due to sickness and I do my job. Apparently, the only difference in us is that you need an atta boy every so often and I couldn't care less for one.
I don't know what you do for Saia or how long that you have been here.I work Linehaul. I've been here since Saia was an I-10 company from Florida to Texas. The relationship between the company and me is very simple. The company lays out the work rules, I follow the work rules. I play nice with the other employees and I do my job according to the company rules and for that effort, the company pays me.
If you need a more complicated relationship then that, then more power to you. There is no right or wrong answer.
You are correct ... There is no right or wrong answer ... I believe in this company and I appreciate what they bring to the table. In return I will go the extra mile. It sounds as if you are the type that will just do what you are required to do. And that's OK .. I go the extra mile because that's just the way I'm wired. I don't need an atta boy. But it's nice to know I'm appreciated. They show me everyday that I am by the respect they give me. In most cases you get what you give. Everyone is different but as long as you do your job in a safe manner and your not a trouble maker then your a good employee. The kind that Saia wants. I go the extra mile not because I have to but because I want to. Some call that ass kissing. I call it a strong work ethic. It has always served me well.

Last edited:
You are correct ... There is no right or wrong answer ... I believe in this company and I appreciate what they bring to the table. In return I will go the extra mile. It sounds as if you are the type that will just do what you are required to do. And that's OK .. I go the extra mile because that's just the way I'm wired. I don't need an atta boy. But it's nice to know I'm appreciated. They show me everyday that I am by the respect they give me. In most cases you get what you give. Everyone is different but as long as you do your job in a safe manner and your not a trouble maker then your a good employee. The kind that Saia wants. I go the extra mile not because I have to but because I want to. Some call that ass kissing. I call it a strong work ethic. It has always served me well.
Train