Stay focused in the snow

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/weird/weird923.shtml

A warning to the newbiee's on here,as much as you should be focused anyway.
With winter fast approching your going to have make sure you are rested,and alert at all times.

I'm going into my 45th winter as a city driver in up state NY and even though I've lived here and all my professional driving has been around here.

I still really hate driving in the snow.

Well said.

Yesterday, while travelling between Edmonton AB and Ft McMurray AB, I counted 3 trucks off the road. Only one was jacknifed, with a pair of 53 foot dry boxes.

Keep your lights clean and watch for wild life too.

Ok how about cold white rain?

Although this four letter word you other drivers,know you get to slip,and slide around in is something you won't see down south.
Its a northern thing.
But at least after the winter season has passed and this cold white stuff has all melted away.
Our houses are still in the same place they were when the winter started.
Not like the southern climate where the wind blows in,and your house blows away.

And don't forget when the roads have been plowed off right after a snowstorm and you see blacktop doesn't mean you start hammering. Especially before daybreak the salt/calcium chloride isn't working that well under 20 degrees and the road surface is slimy . Never ceases to amaze me how many out there including other trucks start running way too fast for conditions just because they see what looks to be bare pavement.

Down this way we get that nasty ice that is hard to see.We don't have plows in my area,why would we for only a few winter storms and they only put out a mixture of sand and chemical on the bridges.It is a total nightmare in the south when we get snow and ice. The general motoring public is clueless on how to drive on ice down here.I HATE WINTER !!!!!!

Newbie chiming in here. I've driven in and during a couple of snow storms as well as freezing rain. I've seen at least half a dozen trucks in the ditch along with cars that have spun out. It's pretty scary seeing dry vans all busted up or the entire rig facing the opposite direction that you're travelling in. It's my first year driving a truck in these conditions and it's amazing how many drivers I see just hammering down the road like the conditions are perfect! My right foot has been pretty light lately and it's only taken me about 30-60 minutes more to get where I'm going without white knuckling the steering wheel.

Well then sir you are very,very smart in your winter driving methods.
I'm in my 45 winter driving a city route in cold snowy New York State.

I developed a few sayings over these many years to help myself,as well as others in our industry.

Heres a good one for all of us to rememeber now that we are driving in poor road conditions due to the winter weather.

"Its faster to go slower in the winter then it is to wait for a wreaker,and to make out all the accident reports"

I'll never forget the guy in a 4 wheeler who just had to get by me,so bad he almost killed himself doing it.
A few blocks later I rolled up right behind him.
When I saw him looking in his drivers side mirror I gave him a real big grin.
He looked away very fast.

But I'm sure he realized he was driving like a fool,and in just a short time heres the big old slow rig right behind him.

Speeders are also funny,you see them fly by you then in a few miles you see them on the road side with a cop as you ride by.
YUP people are funny sometimes.
The hassels involved with getting a speeding ticket,also if they did the speed limit in the first place they would have gotten where they were going faster then having an officer of the law pull them to the side.

I guess when you've been driving a truck as long as me you figure out its better to stay within your own judgement on knowing your being safe,and not stupid.

My first snow and ice driving and i hate it.I ask my opps manager for a transfer to charlotte,nc.I cant see myself driving in these conditions for years to come.These subdivision with associations too cheap to put down salt,but charge every homeowners a monthly fee to up keep the neighborhood.I dont mind the cold.I just hate snow.I know it snows so often in the carolinas,but winter there is mild and it only 2 months verses 4.5 months here.

My first snow and ice driving and i hate it.I ask my opps manager for a transfer to charlotte,nc.I cant see myself driving in these conditions for years to come.These subdivision with associations too cheap to put down salt,but charge every homeowners a monthly fee to up keep the neighborhood.I dont mind the cold.I just hate snow.I know it snows so often in the carolinas,but winter there is mild and it only 2 months verses 4.5 months here.
You better sharpen your ice skates Booboy. The get ice there and believe me it's just a slick as any ice in the north. That town is a demolition derby when it gets a half inch of snow.