Averitt | Steer Tires

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
When I received my new tractor it had a NICE set of Goodyear 362's on the steer. Thanks to my lovely and talented city driver they have now both been removed and the dreaded R260 Bridgestones (city tires) are on there, unbalanced and on rusty dirty rims, as usual and now the truck pulls like hell to the right. I am HIGHLY disappointed and at wits end as to what to do about it. :soapbox:

Look at ANY of our sleeper trucks and you will see Bridgestone 287's which are much softer tires with the heat ring along the edge. Those drive like a dream but these 260's are horrible.

If a daycab is on a road run it should have the 287's on it. The cost, from what I hear, is about the same.

Better yet, put a set of Michelin's on there for that smooth, controlled ride. :dance:

What kind were on your '07? I was lucky enough to have 287's on my 06 that drove great. They are ROAD tires and the 260's are CITY tires.

They used to balance them for steers but not any more. It shakes like James Brown but if this is how they want to throw money down the tubes replacing them after they cup out in 50k mike\les, it's their junk, not mine.

Love my 287's
Dang....don't say that........some gnome behind a computer screen will see that and change us to some crappy tire, because a T/L driver like's something!
My 287's have better than 60k on them and still look new......and I run 11700-12300lbs all the time on the front axle.

Whats funny is..when you have a blow out....the vendor puts a NEW steer tire on it, usually 287, you would think the gnomes staring at the computer screens would get that unit or trailer to a serctr with a shop to get that tire changed out....it will not hurt a new steer tire to be run 500-1000 miles on a trl or on the drives...you could still put it on the steer axle.
I wonder how long the new Continentials that are on the new Prostars will last.

I hate my 287's...would rather run on round rocks...
If you think 287's are bad, try a set of 260's. Awful.

Our terminal used to balance the steers and would also allow for an alignment. I guess that is no longer important [to those that don't have to fight the truck 10 hours a day].