TForce | Step Away From My Dolly

Well then so much for my simple solution of assigning dollies.
This just goes to show this 45 year veteren city driver that.
I'm pretty close to clueless with my knowledge of our linehaul operation.

My simple solution went south right fast with a more brainy road man.
Mr.GLAD TO BE UPSF sure blew my great idea out into never never land.

Ok I'm going to go back to the idea that I posted before having wheel locks,like the ones that are attached to ilegal parked vehicles.
When you linehaul folks break up your set,all you have to do is lock one wheel on the dolly,and it will be your when you need it again.
Sorry thats the best I can do to bring some closer to this very difficult so it would seem topic.

I've seen a on TV, a woman trying to drive away with on of the wheel locks still attached. She tore the whole fender up but still proceeded to drive the car away.

I take the drivers side on this one, a dolly in the yard of to the side only means the driver is breaking down his set and will come back and use it or come back and put it with the other dollies so as a good jocky drive around it and go to the corner of the yard and get one from the , like 20 or 25 dollies just sitting ,,, oh but you may have to push it out ,,too much work for a jocky,, just take the one that is out in the yard all alone ,, and when the driver comes back and punches you in the face for taking the dolly you KNOW he was coming back for dont tell him you didnt see his name on it. and what is a reach around???

I have to say at our yard the shuttle drivers usually leave the gears and never come back for them due to there being M/t sets ready. The Yard Goat has to go and put them away.

When I'm looking for my trlrs to set up, I usually go around the same gear a few times searching. And then, as I'm pulling out the gate an hour later, that gear is still there. It must be certain terminals that don't have enough gears, to make this an issue. Here they have so many that they are blocking the traffic lanes in the yard.

You guys wouldn't have liked me very much if you knew before I became an Apostolic Pentecostal Born Again Christian.

I used to have a very wicked temper.

When i worked at my last fultime LTL Teamster company,I was fired 4 times,and walked out telling my TM where he could put my job 3 different times.

But none of the times did I ever have to get my union rep.s' to get me back in.
I just worked it out with my TM.
In fact I was the last employee at my terminal that worked the last day,when they closed down their operation.

Anytime now days when things are getting heated up,I just pray,and lean on Jesus to help cool things back down
So far so good on that solution.

:butt kiss::TR10driving03::cuss::shades:steve5 i know one terminal Portland or. (por) it got then another dolly there. I stop in Portland to refuel the yard jockey came over to my sleeper say that i have to break my set up so he can have my dolly with mudflap!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say to him where to put it!! then the stupid vis came out to tell me the same thing i look over where the dolly are i say at lease 10 dolly with mudflaps

:butt kiss::TR10driving03::cuss::shades:steve5 i know one terminal Portland or. (por) it got then another dolly there. I stop in Portland to refuel the yard jockey came over to my sleeper say that i have to break my set up so he can have my dolly with mudflap!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say to him where to put it!! then the stupid vis came out to tell me the same thing i look over where the dolly are i say at lease 10 dolly with mudflaps

He must have been too lazy to break up the set or just imposing his will on you. Pretty sad we can't work together. When I was just starting out I used to try to make it as easy for the OTR drivers as I could, they in turn would give me advice and show me better ways of doing things. It was an even exchange in my mind. (I also had quite a few lunches bought for me) Now, to do that now, the drivers would look at you like you were nuts! Some of these hostlers give you nothing but tude, and are quick to pop off, Even if you want to ask a Question. There are some Hostlers out there in the system who are more than helpful, we have a few at our terminal. But I always wonder why would they make enemys of drivers instead of helping and learning something in the process.

Not everybody is the same.
Some people have home issues they bring to work with them.
they have a chip on their shoulder,and are waiting for someone that will try to knock it off.

Other workers are totally paranoid about holding on to their jobs,and are always defencivie thinking everyone is against them.

this is where my therory comes into play.
Its against the law to kill people with bulletts so I do it with kindness.
I give everyone a big smile,and try to be as helpful,as possible.
Some of my co-workers like my attitude,and others just try to stay away from me.
In both cases this works for me.

At my hub there are always 2 jockeys on duty I thnk 4 or 5 total there all helpfull and if they see you having trouble they don't even ask they just hook to your trailer and put it in a better position for you.

Yard Rage: A new addition to all dictionaries will be added this year as the rage between hostlers and drivers heightens. This is becoming a phenomenon in LTL trucking yards. It can occur as hostlers grab certain coupling devices known as dollies, joe dogs, con-gears, etc. away from road drivers who are breaking up their equipment for placement at a dock, or building units for transfer to another terminal. It has recently led to fights and will continue to do so as the industry pressure steadily pisses people off to the point of fighting. Fighting can lead to disciplinary action including suspension, and/or termination. The lack of basic consideration for fellow employees is the reason for Yard Rage and should stop immediately if not sooner.

UPS has found a way to release tensions in larger congested service centers. There have been numerous reports of uncontrollable encounters amongst road drivers and yard jockeys. So UPS known through out the industry, for their uncanny ability, to innovate new ways to please share holders, have conceived a plan that will prove to be both lucrative and relieve tensions in their service centers. They have budgeted 5 million dollars to build caged octagon arenas at all of their break bulk facilities. These state of the art fighting arenas will host pay per view fights weekly. Yard hostlers and road driver were said to have been signing up in droves to participate in this new and exciting event. Elvis out and hitting the heavy bag......:sumo::mfight::nutkick:

Well then so much for my simple solution of assigning dollies.
This just goes to show this 45 year veteren city driver that.
I'm pretty close to clueless with my knowledge of our linehaul operation.

My simple solution went south right fast with a more brainy road man.
Mr.GLAD TO BE UPSF sure blew my great idea out into never never land.

Ok I'm going to go back to the idea that I posted before having wheel locks,like the ones that are attached to ilegal parked vehicles.
When you linehaul folks break up your set,all you have to do is lock one wheel on the dolly,and it will be your when you need it again.
Sorry thats the best I can do to bring some closer to this very difficult so it would seem topic.

I've heard of guys placing a lock through the eye on the tongue of the dolly. Elvis out...

Elvis,
Now you have come up with a simple but yet effective system. That creativity may gain you Jack's job.

When I used to hostle, I would always help roaddrivers out if they asked, or put up their trailing pup if they needed empties as long as that driver took them from the dock creating less moves for me to do. It was a win-win situation...

tell that to fontana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their hostler are very mean to us!! and would not help us pull trailer out for us

Honestly, I am still baffled as to how lazy the majority of drivers in linehaul are.

Here's a novel idea: find a hostler and tell him that the dolly "over there" is yours.....and if he still takes it there must be an immediate need for it somewhere else.

Is it really going to hurt that much to excert the additional labor to hook and place another dolly??? I know......you're still winded from bending down to get your snickers bar out of the vending machine just before had a seat to wait for your trailers(instead of actually helping on the docks, you'll just sit and complain about being late---while you could have helped out instead and even made more money in doing so).

You know, those hostlers are usually very busy(seeing as how they are ACTUALLY working for their money) and they have to deal with several man-children every night. So why does it supprise you that you are treated the same way that most of you treat them---disrespectfully.

I would really like to see how many of you would fare in a different line of work.....I am almost certain that most of you would not do too well if you actually had to throw in a little elbow grease to earn your bread and butter(actually, on second thought, maybe you better hold off on the butter.........). Most of you should be ashamed about the petty things that you routinely complain about and instead try contributing more and conducting yourselves in a more proffesional manner.

..........and yes, I, too, am a linehaul driver, in case you were wondering.

Actually, I must apologize. Many of my comments were out of line and a bit harsh, to boot.

However, it just frustrates me to see so many drivers who are unable to swallow their pride and conduct themselves in a civil manner in the workplace. It also does not help matters when so many of us are unwilling to help out when help is needed.

Good of you to step up there Ollie!

As far as the petty things go;

Dont sweat the petty things, and dont pet the sweaty things..............:funky:

Honestly, I am still baffled as to how lazy the majority of drivers in linehaul are.

Here's a novel idea: find a hostler and tell him that the dolly "over there" is yours.....and if he still takes it there must be an immediate need for it somewhere else.

Is it really going to hurt that much to excert the additional labor to hook and place another dolly??? I know......you're still winded from bending down to get your snickers bar out of the vending machine just before had a seat to wait for your trailers(instead of actually helping on the docks, you'll just sit and complain about being late---while you could have helped out instead and even made more money in doing so).

You know, those hostlers are usually very busy(seeing as how they are ACTUALLY working for their money) and they have to deal with several man-children every night. So why does it supprise you that you are treated the same way that most of you treat them---disrespectfully.

I would really like to see how many of you would fare in a different line of work.....I am almost certain that most of you would not do too well if you actually had to throw in a little elbow grease to earn your bread and butter(actually, on second thought, maybe you better hold off on the butter.........). Most of you should be ashamed about the petty things that you routinely complain about and instead try contributing more and conducting yourselves in a more proffesional manner.

Don't hold back Ollie, tell'em what you really think!!!:hysterical:
BTW, Great post. :1036316054:

Ok heres another thought that I've come up with to solve this problem.

Take about 4 road flares,wrap them up at both ends with duct tape.
Then also tape a cheap digital clock on top of it.
Wire that package to the top of your dolly in plan sight with a note attached reading.
This dolly is the the temporary property of a linehaul driver.
Who is expecting it will still be here when he,or she has to hook up the set they need to use it for.

Don't have any reference to if anyone other then the linehaul driver that wants it back that this dolly will self distruct.

Heck you don't want to get in trouble for writting something like that.
you just want the dolly you want,and everybody should respect your wishses.

After all you folks are the key to the entire LTL operation.
Isn't that right?

Sure you are!!!! A line driver that is!!! This thread is about drivers trying to hold onto dollies that are road worthy, easy to handle, and are driver friendly, and you bust off with this insulting, degrading, ignorant post directed at line drivers ( with a broad brush I might add) Shame on you. Trying to keep a good dollie has nothing to do with being lazy. If the dollie pool is low in the yard, then it is understandable to let it be hooked to meet gate times. Other than that, leave a guys dollie alone. One day, we will have all new dollies, and this won't be an issue. As far as helping on dock or in the yard. I don't recall anyone stepping up to the plate and helping me drive 500 miles a night. Dodging the elements, 4 wheelers etc., arriving day after day on time and in one piece. As far as treating hostlers with disrespect. I haven't witnessed this. I've seen it from hostlers though. Most are alright. And did you ever stop and think that maybe some of these road drivers have gave their better years to busting their backs on the docks, and in the p&d operation? That, now they might just be trying to slide into their later years, and into retirement, with their backs in one piece? Did you ever think about that sir? Sorry to get angry on Christmas, but your post crawled up under my skin and festered. Had to get it off my chest!!!! Merry Christmas. Elvis out and back to the egg nog.........