FedEx Freight | STK has filed with the NLRB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you already told me, but you'll forgive me for my reluctance. I'll tell you, the labor board disagrees with you. Offering less is not bargaining in bad faith. Refusal to bargain at all is. I'm only telling you what they say. I'm not trusting anybody on here. To many motives. Everybody tells you to check the facts, then they lie like you just did. Negotiations are a gamble. If up was the only way to go, every person in the USA would join the union.

im not lying, i guess you have never been thru it, or watched it happen.

I called the Board agent in Atlanta. Nice lady! She referred me to two NLRB cases which they say speaks to this and is commonly used as case law. These are quotes from those cases.
“Collective bargaining is potentially hazardous for employees and as a result of such negotiations, employees could wind up with less benefits after unionization than before.”-- Coach & Equipment Sales Corp., 228 NLRB NO. 51
and
There Is, Of Course, No Obligation On The Part Of An Employer to Contract To Continue All Existing Benefits, Nor Is It An Unfair Labor Practice To Offer Reduced Benefits . . Midwestern Instruments, Inc., 133 N.L.R.B. 1132

buffalobill? What say you?

if unions only went backwards, fedex would have made you all compulsory union members, to save themselves money, would they not?

I am attempting to keep facts and opinions separate. When someone says the company can't negotiate backwards, I'm pointing out that they certainly can. Whether or not they choose to is up to them.

I will be very surprised if there are not concessions made in multiple areas to compensate for gains in other areas. No way are the Teamsters pitching a no-hitter, won't even be a shut out.
No doubt. I just don't see Fedex doing anything that might make it look like the union did better for us, and in fact may "punish" the unionized groups to send a message to the others, all the while rewarding the others. The carrot and the stick.

That makes zero sense to me. So, let's say you negotiate on the purchase of a house. The two sides cannot agree what the price will be. Me personally, I refuse to pay a million dollars for the house. I'm only willing to pay 500k for the house. Why would I ever agree to let some outsider make me pay more than I want for the house if I don't have to? Sure, they can agree to binding arbitration just like they can agree to give us all free health insurance. They don't have to though. If it was my company i'm not turning that decision over to some beaurocrat ever.
I also don't think this will ever be front page news. Public doesn't care about what we make. Hell, we make more than most of them anyway.

buying a house isnt running a business with employees.

No, it absolutely isn't necessarily bad faith. If I offer you 25 cents an hour less than you are currently making but offer OT after 8 instead of 40....that certainly could be considered negotiating in good faith.

If you think this isn't a give and take, you are naive.

Mediation isn't always utilized during INITIAL contract negotiations. If the company or union declares impasse and the NLRB agrees, it's done. Last offer made by the company stands. Union members don't get to vote on that.

what YOU quoted wasnt in bad faith because it wasnt going backwards. ot after 8 is a great benefit.

To be clear. That isn't always the case. Union boards may have the right to exercise the contract without a ratification vote. If the IBT gets tired of going back and forth with FedEx and believes the best they have to offer may not be ratified by the membership, their constitution may give them power to exercise the contract without member ratification.

and what part of our constitution would that be?

what YOU quoted wasnt in bad faith because it wasnt going backwards. ot after 8 is a great benefit.

Many would classify that 25 cent an hour decrease as going backwards. The net effect when combined with better OT rules may be a WIN for the employee but there are certainly topics that may get a checkmark in the decrease column.

and what part of our constitution would that be?

I don't know off hand, and I certainly don't feel like reading that beast. That's why I said MAY have the right. Someone stated it happened with UPS at LOU. I know the Pilots' union threatened to do it with American Airlines workers. If I was in a situation where someone else is going to negotiate on my behalf I would want to know for certain what can happen. I'm not taking the word of an organizer, a company employee, a guy on the internet or my Local's leadership. I would read the IBT constitution myself.

I would read the IBT constitution myself.[/I][/B]
Talk about reading a beast...the U.S. Constitution is only written on 4 pages....6 if you include the letter of transmittal and the bill of rights.
The IBT Constitution consists of more than 250 pages!!!!

Not befuddling, just not worth the effort to those not forced to abide by it. Not too different than the Affordable Care Act---no need to read it if it doesn't pertain to you. Documents that large are usually as verbose as they are to protect the writer, not the reader ;)

Last edited:
Since you don't work here and you're already a member, I would expect you to listen to me....but there's plenty who do.
I'm a member of a credit union, does that count?
I do read and comprehend what you have blogged.Just a few corrections from us pro union non management workers.When you spew falsehoods we correct.Im a non paid non company paid promoter and supporter. I'm with the folks that want a voice in the workplace.

i already told you, the union has certain standards for bargaining a first contract, you wouldnt be put in your hypothetical position. you dont go backwards, or threaten a strike. if the company tries to come at you with less money than before, thats "bargaining in bad faith", which is a ULP charge....
Personally I don't trust the FedEx corporate pigs.I just read what they tried to get away with at Ground.Employees or contractors

i already told you, the union has certain standards for bargaining a first contract, you wouldnt be put in your hypothetical position. you dont go backwards, or threaten a strike. if the company tries to come at you with less money than before, thats "bargaining in bad faith", which is a ULP charge....
Bill why you playing ping pong with a guy without a paddle?

Status
Not open for further replies.