FedEx Freight | STK has filed with the NLRB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of this is all new to me.Im a Teamster already.So most of this negotiating for this and that is all new.Never worked for a company.That was trying to get representation and all.

Well, you read me accurately. I'm no brainiac. I'm trying to figure this out and get honest info. As it turns out, I was right on this one, and you were wrong. Offering less is not a ULP.

.....sure its not.....

like i posted earlier, if the union was going to bring down your wages, why is fred fighting it? if it would save him money, he would be signing you up himself.....

Not befuddling, just not worth the effort to those not forced to abide by it. Not too different than the Affordable Care Act---no need to read it if it doesn't pertain to you. Documents that large are usually as verbose as they are to protect the writer, not the reader ;)

no one is forced to abide by it. no one is forced into a union job...

See thats what I mean. That's not a true comment. In many states if you vote the union in, i'm forced in it or I have to quit. Are you saying quitting is the option I have?

yep, there is what, 6% union density in the private sector? if you dont want to belong to a union, i see 94% of the employers as other options.

like i said, no one is forced, see?

carville, figured out a reply to my question yet? if the union was going to lower the wage, why is fred smith fighting it? it would increase his profits.

carville, figured out a reply to my question yet? if the union was going to lower the wage, why is fred smith fighting it? it would increase his profits.
I don't know why Fred doesn't want it. You'll have to ask him. I suspect that Fred doesn't think that it will improve his bottom line. Who cares what Fred wants?

I don't expect the company to do right by me, and I also don't think a union will make them do right by me either. I expect me to do right by me. That means cutting through the crap and not getting into philosophical debates about what's right. I have savings because I worked to have it. Not a lot, but protection for me and my family. If others don't then that's not Fedex fault. It's theirs. I hold my company accountable with my feet. If they don't provide, i'll move on. If you're willing to work, someone will hire you. I've always done better when I moved on. I'm not saying a union is out of the question for me. If my terminal gets to a vote, i'll probably go with the flow if that's what my co workers want to do. I just don't see it as a magical cure, and it probably would be another bill to pay. There was a lot of talk a while ago but it died off some. Still there though.
Both of you seem to forget the fact that there is a nationwide driver shortage. The Company is not in that strong of a position, to realistically offer nonsense like a reduction in pay in exchange for an increase in some other area. Just not that type of environment. We already are at a deficit compared to the competition, in many areas.

Many of the tactics being thrown about, by others (not by either of you), are also nonsense and would be counter productive, both in productivity and driver retention. Offers of less than we have now are laughable in today's environment. If that is even plausible, then we have bigger problems than even the teamsters can help with. As always, just my opinion...
Might ought to get them shoes broke in good and comfortable, so
Well, you read me accurately. I'm no brainiac. I'm trying to figure this out and get honest info. As it turns out, I was right on this one, and you were wrong. Offering less is not a ULP.
How was I wrong about anything? I had no conversation with you?

im not wrong, and you are naive if you think fred would come to the table and offer less. like ive stated before, if the union was going to take wages backwards, fred would put you in one. he isnt fighting the union drive because the teamsters are going to take wages down.

he isnt fighting the union drive because the teamsters are going to take wages down.

Wages are just one snippet of that bottom line. If you think wages are the only thing at stake, you have quite a limited perspective.

If all you are concerned with are your wages, that's quite simple to address and will increase the bottom line.

Of course the Teamsters are not going to approach the table offering up wage concessions. That doesn't mean they aren't going to accept them in exchange for other benefits and/or work rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.