ODFL | Stockton votes for possible union

Yep, they'll shut it down and move the freight through other terminals. They've already been bringing in SAC drivers.
I asked someone a couple weeks ago why we had 2 drivers in Stockton and I had to pull it out of him.He did say there were rumblings down there.

That would suck for us.But I know a lot of that freight used to run out of SAC way before I started here.Just add an hour extra stem.

Big question is why? Any idea?

BTW line drivers are paid hourly in California when not driving so there is no "5 hours waiting for hooks".It's only $11 but it's pay.

Well I'm not sure what's so lol about anyone losing a job is. Usually a union drive starts with some local non monetary grievance not being addressed, You might see a new S/C manager in Stockton soon.
One of our reps is the former manager of Stockton.I heard some "things" happened over there.So he went to sales here.Not sure who the manager is now.Maybe came from San Jose ?

One of our reps is the former manager of Stockton.I heard some "things" happened over there.So he went to sales here.Not sure who the manager is now.Maybe came from San Jose ?

He came from the Bakersfield terminal. The reason why the old Stockton manager came over to Sacramento as a sales person was because of what happened the first go around with the union a couple of years when they had a vote then. The Stockton terminal didn’t like the way he was managing them and the union was called, and a vote was put into place. Corporate decided to move him elsewhere after the vote and at the urging of the employees they interviewed

I had some other things had happened.Some kind of relation.Maybe I heard wrong.

BTW we had a group from CORP out here about a month ago.We are NOT even considering union.But there have been some operational issues going back to last summer and just being slammed.Anyway they spoke with us individually and anonymously and asked about the company, the terminal,how we felt we were treated etc.Last Monday we got a new manager.The old manager is supposed to be new manager of CIC.Which until now is a mostly unmanned placed run by the drivers.Strange.

I had some other things had happened.Some kind of relation.Maybe I heard wrong.

BTW we had a group from CORP out here about a month ago.We are NOT even considering union.But there have been some operational issues going back to last summer and just being slammed.Anyway they spoke with us individually and anonymously and asked about the company, the terminal,how we felt we were treated etc.Last Monday we got a new manager.The old manager is supposed to be new manager of CIC.Which until now is a mostly unmanned placed run by the drivers.Strange.
OMG, I go on vacation and CIC allegedly gets a manager. Hahahaha. I wonder if I still have a job Tuesday. Shhh, they’ve needed a manager for awhile. I agree totally. I have to meet some of them. You have your good driver’s and you have your inconsistent ones. But this is totally interesting.

You know that California is paid by the hour. I think that they clock in and out. They get mileage, any wait time, drops, hooks and fuel are paid by the clock. Not sure what the rate is.
So, you’re saying that OD is bound by California wage and hour laws instead of their own wage and hour policies?

You know that California is paid by the hour. I think that they clock in and out. They get mileage, any wait time, drops, hooks and fuel are paid by the clock. Not sure what the rate is.
I hope it's their hourly rate.

So, you’re saying that OD is bound by California wage and hour laws instead of their own wage and hour policies?
They’re bound by the state law. Most drivers don’t care for it. Just like Multnomah County has the Law about being paid for 40 hours of sick time. The new PTO policy by OD has taken that into account.

Stockton terminal is actually in Lathrop.Just south of Stockton.About a month or so ago they gave Lodi back to SAC.Today they told us that we will also start servicing part of Stockton proper.Apparently due to freight volume and limited dock space.We certainly have the space.Never enough power.They're giving us 1 tractor and long box supposedly.

This all makes sense but I wondered if this other stuff was somehow related.

Does anybody know what the starting and top rate pay for line haul at the stockton terminal is? And how many miles on average a driver can expect to drive each week?

All I'm going to say is ask yourself why doesn't the company want a Union or are so afraid of a Union? More reason to vote yes for Union representation! Does Old Dominion bail you out of jail if you get in an accident and are charged? YRC does and you will get your job back eventually too! Can you file a grievance if you are not paid properly at Old Dominion or have an issue that you can't resolve with your manager/supervisor? So many reasons to be Union.

It's really not crazy however we do not need a union we get treated very well they just need to pay us right for our fuels drop and hooks breakdown and delay.
I have a very good friend ever since grade school and he tells me that his son is a city driver and that OD is an excellent place to get fired for any accidental infraction of company policy or just to let you all know that they have the mussel. Its called productivity through intimidation . Its nothing new Roadway did it for years . The only thing that Roadway drivers had over OD is that the union would stand up to this type of action against their drivers and dock men .

Last edited: