SEFL | Straight trucks

imported_Girn

TB Lurker
Credits
I see that R L carriers has a straight box truck. And today I saw a Benton straight truck. 26 footers with lift gates on the tail. My terminal does not have a straight truck. I think they would be great for tight deliveries in limited access area's. Does your terminal have a straight truck? I also see that ABF has pups with a lift gates, do we have pups with lift gates?

some carriers use them and some dont..certain carriers depend on pups with liftgates to substitute a straight truck...which sometimes just will not do..

I see that R L carriers has a straight box truck. And today I saw a Benton straight truck. 26 footers with lift gates on the tail. My terminal does not have a straight truck. I think they would be great for tight deliveries in limited access area's. Does your terminal have a straight truck? I also see that ABF has pups with a lift gates, do we have pups with lift gates?

Almost all carriers have Bobtails in their fleets, but it boils down to the center you work at, and if your manager feels the need for one...... at a center I worked at in the past, we didnt have one, and sometimes they would rent a bobtail just to take out one shipment to deliver, then bring it back!! It really depends on if your manager wants to request one, big companies have them, but the manager may not want to stick his neck out to get one, he may not feel it is "justified", besides, if we are doing it now without one, why do we need one now?.......thats the mentality.

You are right Lonestar. They are looking short term. A straight truck is not that expensive compared to a tractor-trailer.
Buy one outright, and even if you don't use it every day, it will still pay for itself in time.
Better have it and not need it all the time, than need it and not have it.

Almost all carriers have Bobtails in their fleets, but it boils down to the center you work at, and if your manager feels the need for one...... at a center I worked at in the past, we didnt have one, and sometimes they would rent a bobtail just to take out one shipment to deliver, then bring it back!! It really depends on if your manager wants to request one, big companies have them, but the manager may not want to stick his neck out to get one, he may not feel it is "justified", besides, if we are doing it now without one, why do we need one now?.......thats the mentality.

I thank you for your reply but do not feel the same way as you. By bobtails, I assume you mean straight truck. And as leaving it up to the leadership(manager as you put it), they are not the ones who are coming into the very restrictive and confined area's that as a p@d driver has to go to make a transaction-pickup\delivery. They are not the one's who will be written up by safety for damaging or destroying property. What leadership does is deciding what trailer will cost out despite the realities of the area in question, adding up the variable of incidents, or potential damage or injuries that COULD result from sending one of us into a confined area with the wrong piece of equipment for that area. And determining it feasible. Leadership should not have to stick their necks out in order to obtain a safe and injury free way of making that transaction.Leadership should be doing every thing humanly possible at any cost to make that transaction injury free and safety should be variable #1! Leadership should have no say in what kind of equipment is needed for a particular circumstance, that is where our safety officer needs to come into play. My life line to life is my license, not the amount of deliveries or pickups. We have the equipment and means to perform our commitments. Sad part here is that, Safety and leadership, coincide with each other on a daily basis so both come out ahead of the p@d driver. This is not rumor, but truth.

In the Northeast

:smilie_132:At Duie it depends on the terminal, some have them some don't. Around NYC they have 12 S/T for use, they don't always use all of them everyday though. All terminals have
32 ft pup trls w/liftgate's, they are 12'6" high and 102 wide instead of straight trucks.:loser:

:smilie_132:At Duie it depends on the terminal, some have them some don't. Around NYC they have 12 S/T for use, they don't always use all of them everyday though. All terminals have
32 ft pup trls w/liftgate's, they are 12'6" high and 102 wide instead of straight trucks.:loser:

good to hear you in there ltltrkr i bet its a trip to delivery in the big apple.....send us some freight down if you can.....been picking up some north bound for yall......our sales dept been doing good on getting freight up that way.....:smilie_132:

Probably from delivering freight around town with a hand truck. I imagine that could get a little aggravating.:biglaugh:

hey ricky hows the mertzs doing...fred still bellyaching....mike will be all right.. maybe even get his beloved hd loads tommorrow....no hand truck...no bob truck....:biglaugh:

good to hear you in there ltltrkr i bet its a trip to delivery in the big apple.....send us some freight down if you can.....been picking up some north bound for yall......our sales dept been doing good on getting freight up that way.....:smilie_132:

:popcorn: NYC is very interesting to del to. We have been p/u frght for you guys, just like everyone else though a little slow.:clap:

Pitt ohio has a ton of s/t at all their terminals. We have @ 25 in clv alone, all have liftgates plus 45 &48 trlrs w/ liftgates. They even have 4 or5 of those sprinter vans at all the terminals for the small stuff.