Yellow | Strike at Dallas Averted (for now)

A change of Op's will let you follow the work, so that shouldn't scare anyone..And YES THEY CAN shut any break down, but with the amount of lanes that are connected to Dallas and the relay systems that are set up it would create a cluster. Its time that we(as teamsters) stand up and fight for what is right, the company has run over us enough. Sometimes it is hard to do the right thing, but the end will justify the means.. Stand strong and don't let them win...Remember, Yellow can't afford too much bad publicity, and won't, they will do what they can to make this go away, just make it worth your while..The Fort Worth terminal can't handle the amount of bills that run through Dallas each day so I wouldn't worry about that. Furthermore Houston and San Antonio are too out of the way to redirect also. DAL is a major consolidation point for So. Cal points also, which is a logistical problem right now for us East coast DC's which are running out of trailers to send directly to LOS, ONG to name a few, most are sent through to DAL as headloads to be filled. What this means is, STAND strong, it is the end of the month & end of the quarter, huge shipping period, right now they don't have the man power in place to move any operations and there trailer supply is not adequately postioned to fill those consolidation points and run through without a set up point.. This is a perfect time to let Mang. have it, just let them know we are still there and not going away.. STAND UNITED!!!!

jimmy g said:
I have no idea what you're problems are, or who's wrong. I'm just telling you like it is. You guys are the only ones that can truly know if it's worth losing your jobs over.......but I'd be making back-up plans if I were you. Yellow won't put up with stuff forever, even if they're the ones wrong......and especially not if they've got another terminal in Fort Worth.
I know who is wrong here. No brotherhood issue at all. Anyone who pulls pins, deliberately leaves the pintle hook open, hooks the safety chains through the air lines etc. etc. is ALWAYS WRONG, no questions asked. They endager me, my family, my coworkers and anyone else on the road. I remember when dropping one on its nose was automatic discharge. I love that people who set others up for that fall can come in here and cry where's the brotherhood. Priceless.
Disclaimer: I do not know who was pulling pins, but the word is that it was going on. Drag your feet if you want, that won't kill anybody, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Joe,
Effingham was a pure break terminal. No city operation at all (Effingham local P&D was run out of Mattoon, Il., about 25 miles north)......unlike Dallas. The dock worked a Mon.-Fri. operation with Saturdays being time and a half and Sundays doubletime. Yellow wanted a flexible workweek with starts other than Monday only. They told the Union that they'd have one chance to vote it in or they'd close the terminal. The men evidently thought they were bluffing and voted it down. Yellow had a COO that split up Effingham's work between IND, CGB and STL and closed it down.

Now, having said that, I don't believe it would be anywhere near that easy for them to do the same to DAL due to the fact that DAL is a major metro area that has a big P&D operation.....keep in mind that Effingham had no city operation. Only time will tell what's going to happen there. DAL is a much bigger player in the Yellow system than Effingham could've ever hoped to be. So, time will tell the tale, but it will never be a simple task to eliminate DAL as a major player.

Glad2bnGAR said:
K.K., this book you are referring to, is it a "book", or a "booklet" type of publication? I have several of the booklet types that I can reference.

It was a very nice hardback book that came out in late 1989 that covered up to that point the history of Yellow Freight since 1924...very good book....I just can't find out which driver has my copy that I loaned it to...........KK

Thanks I started in 86 and can't remember loading directs to there. I do remember when they were hot for that flex week in the 80's. Buf gave it to them.

yo joe8...

you got a year on me, i arrived here in '87....

OKC has 120 doors....

TUL has 80 doors.....

BAX has 100 doors....

LIR has 80 doors....

a lot of excess doors all within a day's drive of every texas terminal.....

with direct loading and multiple breaks for every direction and lane, do you honestly think they could let weeds grow in DAL?????

sticking together and being smart is a lot better than sticking together and being dumb....

a company can be intimidated a lot more by knowing that labor peace is their job to help maintain than by grandstand macho plays that put teamsters out of work and pension plans under a strain....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; reread the next to last paragraph....

I beg to differ with you guys. Last summer, DAL had 2 COO's that affected the city operations. A HUGE portion of the city ops was moved to FTW in mid-summer 2005, and about 16 or so men were allowed to transfer there. Then, roughly a year ago, they re-opened GAR and another 70 city men were relocated there.
I know that they still have a lot of passing freight, but the city operation there is at a bare minimum.
I've got 20+ with them, and I know for a fact that they can move more of that city freight out if they get good and ready to.

I am SOOOOOO glad to be away from that place.

So will someone please tell me what happened at Dallas that started all of this?

WAAAHAPPENED?

Metroman,

There are several different rumors as to what started all this at DAL. They range from: 1) The union says that mgmt. wanted the barn to be under total control of the company, i.e. asking permission to go to the restroom, back from break 1 minute late.
2) The company says that they wanted to send a wake-up call to the men that it was time to get off their buts and go to work for a change.
3) There are also some rumors that there is a COO in the works for the Chicago area and this was the company's way of getting some leverage with the union. The company fired the men that they did, then dropped all charges and let them return to work. Now, the union owes the company, and they will not fight the alleged COO that the company has in the works.

Please do not quote me on any of them, as I am in a city op. 25 miles away. These are the most prevalent of the rumors that we hear on a daily basis coming out of DAL.

Glad2bnGAR said:
Metroman,

3) There are also some rumors that there is a COO in the works for the Chicago area and this was the company's way of getting some leverage with the union. The company fired the men that they did, then dropped all charges and let them return to work. Now, the union owes the company, and they will not fight the alleged COO that the company has in the works.
I doubt this was the reason. The 710 will take it *** on a change a tell us it was a good deal, just like loosing alot of our East Coast sleeper runs to be replaced with CVE bids (350 miles) and Columbus bids (just over 300).

ftaf08 said:
I doubt this was the reason. The 710 will take it *** on a change a tell us it was a good deal, just like loosing alot of our East Coast sleeper runs to be replaced with CVE bids (350 miles) and Columbus bids (just over 300).
Fta,
Actually there's not much a Local can do in a COO if the numbers (plus/minus) are accurate.....the Company has the right to run the freight the way they want to. I was at the COO you mention. It was heard in Chicago on Sept. 1, 2005. Local 710 was supposed to be a plus....they showed the Company that they should be at least a break even in the COO and CGB didn't have to take any drivers. Again, it's not up to the Union to dictate what lanes and runs the Company will use.....it's their Company.....the Union does defend the following of work and 710 kept CGB from being a plus.

In grievance after greivance I've been around it's always come back the company has the right to run the company as it sees fit as long as it's within the parameters of the contract. All we can do is hang on and trust them, follow the work, and make it happen until they change their mind.

Like it or not, that's the way it is. A heck of a lot better than not having a contract at all, and just being told to hit the highway!

jimmy g said:
In grievance after greivance I've been around it's always come back the company has the right to run the company as it sees fit as long as it's within the parameters of the contract. All we can do is hang on and trust them, follow the work, and make it happen until they change their mind.

Like it or not, that's the way it is. A heck of a lot better than not having a contract at all, and just being told to hit the highway!
You got that right Brother

stldude44 said:
Fta,
Actually there's not much a Local can do in a COO if the numbers (plus/minus) are accurate.....the Company has the right to run the freight the way they want to. I was at the COO you mention. It was heard in Chicago on Sept. 1, 2005. Local 710 was supposed to be a plus....they showed the Company that they should be at least a break even in the COO and CGB didn't have to take any drivers. Again, it's not up to the Union to dictate what lanes and runs the Company will use.....it's their Company.....the Union does defend the following of work and 710 kept CGB from being a plus.
I understand there's only so much the local can do, but I just wish they would be honest and tell us we got sh*t on, instead of telling us it was a good thing. On paper it may have come out even, but from talking to alot of guys, there are alot of hard feelings about it.

ftaf08 said:
I understand there's only so much the local can do, but I just wish they would be honest and tell us we got sh*t on, instead of telling us it was a good thing. On paper it may have come out even, but from talking to alot of guys, there are alot of hard feelings about it.
Rob,
I don't doubt that there are hard feelings. I was just letting you know that behind the scenes 710 was trying to get the best they could for you guys under the circumstances.....I witnessed this myself. None of us like change once we're comfortable.....and I'm like a dinosaur when it comes to change. One thing to ponder....even though I don't like change I'm glad that Yellow is always looking for ways to compete better in todays cutthroat LTL environment. In 2000 when they told STL we were getting sleepers the general feeling was that the freight to PHI and the New Jersey points could be serviced just as well by the relay system........last year when they took the sleepers out the general feeling was that the relay system could not service this freight like the sleepers did. See my point? At first we didn't want sleepers in STL....then we didn't want to lose them. It's human nature to resist change. And there will always be hard feelings after a COO...but life goes on.

While you guys are on the subject,I`ve been hearing that there is a coo coming and what I heard is that BUF is going to be a 5 man loser.I have not seen anything in writing about this,and was wondering if any of you guys have seen anything or heard anything concrete about this.