ABF | Strike Votes at ABF

Turncoat was what one of my YRC coworkers dubbed me when I told him I had gotten hired at ABF. He was a good friend and just retired last month from YRC after about 35 yrs. I was on the top of an 8 man board (it was 18 at the beginning of the merger, 10 had been layed off or quit) I started at ABF on the bottom of a 5 man board. It had grown to 6, but one retired this year, so we have 5 and a couple casuals, but will hire another full-time this summer in all probability. I have moved to number 2 in less than 7 years as 3 have retired. I'm running UE to ATL now...old man's job.
life must be good in Mayberry with 5 drivers...I can now see why you want to vote yes on anything that is proposed..oh, well

life must be good in Mayberry with 5 drivers...I can now see why you want to vote yes on anything that is proposed..oh, well
Well...not anything...I started in a 3 man barn...came out of the logging woods, but it's about as good as it gets for this old farm boy with a county high school diploma (barely I may add), but never fear, them hands up the road a little farther north in Birmingham never let anything pass in our local! They ready to strike yesterday! But even in Mayberry I have to take my bullet out of my shirt pocket occasionally and load it in my gun just to show em' I still know how. These little terminals are getting more and more scarce, but Maxwell AFB has an officer training school and we get a good share of Upack work here and that helps.

Well...not anything...I started in a 3 man barn...came out of the logging woods, but it's about as good as it gets for this old farm boy with a county high school diploma (barely I may add), but never fear, them hands up the road a little farther north in Birmingham never let anything pass in our local! They ready to strike yesterday! But even in Mayberry I have to take my bullet out of my shirt pocket occasionally and load it in my gun just to show em' I still know how. These little terminals are getting more and more scarce, but Maxwell AFB has an officer training school and we get a good share of Upack work here and that helps.
Like I said, barely a h/s diploma making what he does (even with any kind of pay cut) will vote on anything to keep on being the top paid guy in Mayberry. I thought that Judy shut down the terminals w/less than 8 employees and either farmed out the business or only ran on occasion? 3 man barn..is that 3 drivers or a t/mgr, sales, and 1 driver? Also, let's be politically correct, if one of the employees was a female, would you count is as a 2 man, 1 woman terminal. Wow, what a stressful life it must be in a 3 or 5 man/woman terminal? Heck, you probably have more office people than you do drivers..

By the way, tell my buddy--Otis--to save a swig for me and I won't sleep in his cell anymore!

P.S. Glad to hear that our brothers up in Birmingham (Mount Pilot) have some guts! "They ready to strike yesterday"

Last edited:
Like I said, barely a h/s diploma making what he does (even with any kind of pay cut) will vote on anything to keep on being the top paid guy in Mayberry. I thought that Judy shut down the terminals w/less than 8 employees and either farmed out the business or only ran on occasion? 3 man barn..is that 3 drivers or a t/mgr, sales, and 1 driver? Also, let's be politically correct, if one of the employees was a female, would you count is as a 2 man, 1 woman terminal. Wow, what a stressful life it must be in a 3 or 5 man/woman terminal? Heck, you probably have more office people than you do drivers..

By the way, tell my buddy--Otis--to save a swig for me and I won't sleep in his cell anymore!

P.S. Glad to hear that our brothers up in Birmingham (Mount Pilot) have some guts! "They ready to strike yesterday"
The 3 driver was with Yellow Freight with a TM and 1 lady ops supv. TM and ops got transferred to Montgomery, then about a year later bottom driver got laid off, got offered full-time in Mobile. 2 years later they closed it and transferred us other 2 to Montgomery. That was 18 yrs ago.

Just hang in there 6pack. I'm gonna try and do my part to keep the gate unlocked for ya and maybe you can bid one of these good old 55+ hr. a week jobs, but just remember it's really gonna cut into your beer drinking.....might not be your cup of tea!

TM/Salesman double duty and sometimes is away covering vacations for other TM's. Ops are consolidated at PCY. Very lean on management at our location. Drivers only after 5 p.m. Usally closed around 9 to 10 p.m. and re-opens at 5 a.m. Closed on weekends except for an occasional Saturday casual work. That way the 7 yrs. I have worked here. So far we have been able to keep the playhouse open, but in this business everything is subject to change. Our numbers are not stellar, but have improved year over year since the last TM came on.

Just hang in there 6pack. I'm gonna try and do my part to keep the gate unlocked for ya and maybe you can bid one of these good old 55+ hr. a week jobs, but just remember it's really gonna cut into your beer drinking.....might not be your cup of tea!
do you know where I can get some Sterling Beer? That is about all I can afford and a bottle of ripple (RIP Red Foxx a/k/a Fred Sanford)

do you know where I can get some Sterling Beer? That is about all I can afford and a bottle of ripple (RIP Red Foxx a/k/a Fred Sanford)
Now 6Pak...we just had a guy retire in Jan and I'm thinking they're probably gonna have to post a full-time job here pretty soon, now I can let you know and you can just transfer on over to this panacea of a work place, heck these boys down here will probably let you cover for my vacations and surely on those Friday nights I decide to lay out. Don't worry about a strike, hell ABF was surely gonna strike last contract and I knew that long before I left the top spot at ole' YRC. Surely a tough guy like yourself wouldn't think twice about trying to upgrade his career or the hard work and risk it might require if an :butt kiss:job scared old uneducated fart like me would try it! You would like the good hunting and fishing down here, not that you would get to go that often, but it's nice to think about doing some when you retire riding over that river bridge in the green truck....oh I almost forgot for a minute I was going to be a greeter at Wal-Mart when I get so old I can't pass the DOT exam no more......the new retirement plan! Just PM if your interested....I know you probably would want to get in kinda unannounced and all. Gotta go, need to sleep my Saturday away, kinda had a long week! Now, that Sterling...that's mother-in-law beer, the bottles with the big mouth like a mother in law has, haven't seen it down here lately, but you probably won't be able to drink much down here on the bottom, might kinda have to be on standby some days when the inbound is light and if the pickups don't materialize may need you to CC, but you know...not very often, but if you prefer a letter of layoff that won't be a problem, except then there's no beer money, it's just hard to know what the right decision is sometimes....but, I just went for it and never looked back...what you gotta do sometimes and hope and pray it works out OK

Last edited:
Now 6Pak...we just had a guy retire in Jan and I'm thinking they're probably gonna have to post a full-time job here pretty soon, now I can let you know and you can just transfer on over to this panacea of a work place, heck these boys down here will probably let you cover for my vacations and surely on those Friday nights I decide to lay out. Don't worry about a strike, hell ABF was surely gonna strike last contract and I knew that long before I left the top spot at ole' YRC. Surely a tough guy like yourself wouldn't think twice about trying to upgrade his career or the hard work and risk it might require if an :butt kiss:job scared old uneducated fart like me would try it! You would like the good hunting and fishing down here, not that you would get to go that often, but it's nice to think about doing some when you retire riding over that river bridge in the green truck....oh I almost forgot for a minute I was going to be a greeter at Wal-Mart when I get so old I can't pass the DOT exam no more......the new retirement plan! Just PM if your interested....I know you probably would want to get in kinda unannounced and all. Gotta go, need to sleep my Saturday away, kinda had a long week! Now, that Sterling...that's mother-in-law beer, the bottles with the big mouth like a mother in law has, haven't seen it down here lately, but you probably won't be able to drink much down here on the bottom, might kinda have to be on standby some days when the inbound is light and if the pickups don't materialize may need you to CC, but you know...not very often, but if you prefer a letter of layoff that won't be a problem, except then there's no beer money, it's just hard to know what the right decision is sometimes....but, I just went for it and never looked back...what you gotta do sometimes and hope and pray it works out OK
as my buddy, canaryinthemine" put it...ABF has to put up with me for 2 more years...can I transfer and dovetail into your seniority board? After all, it happened before when ABF bought Carolina...I sure could use some of Aunt Bee's cookin', but then again it might expand my 6Pak..but drinking with Otis would be fun...and since (I know this is politically incorrect) Gomer is gay, I'd have to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure he doesn;t want to bother me.....do Thelma Lou and Helen Crump still look the same? ..so yeah, if I could dovetail and move to the top of the board, I'd come to Mayberry for those 2 years...

as my buddy, canaryinthemine" put it...ABF has to put up with me for 2 more years...can I transfer and dovetail into your seniority board? After all, it happened before when ABF bought Carolina...I sure could use some of Aunt Bee's cookin', but then again it might expand my 6Pak..but drinking with Otis would be fun...and since (I know this is politically incorrect) Gomer is gay, I'd have to keep my eye on him...do Thelma Lou and Helen Crump still look the same? ..so yeah, if I could dovetail and move to the top of the board, I'd come to Mayberry for those 2 years...
Well....you could always give it a try....I think them other guys would file on it....we got a young new Steward and all. He wouldn't be as understanding as I would, being you only got just 2 more years I couldn't see where it would really be such a big deal. Heck, you could get that fabulous run I'm on, but the guy I bumped off of it last bid....he probably wouldn't go for it either. But....dude...only 2 more years here on the bottom would be a cake walk, and just think of all the fun you and Gomer would have! Goll leee! Just one happy family down here! I realize it's a life changing decision....but once your mind is made up to come on over....let me know. My wife, she cooks better than Aunt B, best cornbread in the South, and she said that juicy ribeye I grilled her last night was the best she ever had...but, heck...she always says that...always makes me blush too! :love heart:Good luck! :grouphug:

It will be negotiated as to whether YRC gets another pass. In hindsight, it was a terrible idea and a complete con-job by YRC management.

Hopefully the IBT leadership realizes that.

The problem would be is that a pension plan is a package deal. All or nothing. Companies want it that way.

They would be more than happy to let a small group of new hires benefit at the expense of the bulk of the rest of us. Save them a lot of money.
hey, don't worry about yrc , we are digging our own hole!... let's see what u come up to and your teamster leadership!!!! isn't true that some of your teamster leadership work for you guys for a long time??????