Yellow | Struggling YRC Worldwide lobbies Teamsters union to alter, extend contract

I've had enough MOU's for now. We need a contract. We've given enough for the "cause. " I've had enough adapting and adjusting too. I've adapted from being one of the best to one of the lowest paid LTL drivers in the industry and adjusted more than a man that works 60+ hours a week should have too while the CEO's are taking bonus'.
If we open up the contract .Will we get the same master freight agreement.Our will they seize the opportunity to hack it up.Just remember a lot of guys are and will be retiring very soon.,and we can't let the young guys and part timers vote away our agreement.

I'm afraid it's already gone, national master only means something when the majority of LTL carriers are playing by the same contract today that's not going to happen even the union knows that. Just look at the UPS freight contract as an example.

If we open up the contract .Will we get the same master freight agreement.Our will they seize the opportunity to hack it up.Just remember a lot of guys are and will be retiring very soon.,and we can't let the young guys and part timers vote away our agreement.

"Master Freight Agreement"? You're kidding right? Who is left to be "master" of any more. There aren't hundreds - or at least dozens - of major Teamster trucking companies around today and for the few majors that are left, as Wrench has pointed out, they all have different agreements. It's a question of survival of Teamster LTL jobs today - we are no longer in an artificially controlled environment (regulated trucking) as in the past when we dominated. People pounding their chests talking about "shutting them down" or "locking the gates" need to pull their heads out of their asses, and quickly.

I'm afraid it's already gone, national master only means something when the majority of LTL carriers are playing by the same contract today that's not going to happen even the union knows that. Just look at the UPS freight contract as an example.

You hit the nail on the head Wrench. Not only are the Teamster carriers not playing by the same rules but the non-union carriers are a much more dominant factor today. It's a different time for sure.

Master. Freight is our foundation,anything less the house of freight crumbles.I'll take another MOU and what comes with it if it's acceptable.These people would love to get out of what's left of national master freight.A white paper contract will do little or nothing.What else do you want that you already have.except for wage and pension increases.We shall see when the time comes.I already have my time right now.and can go when I want.But I still gotta work and I choose to go when I am ready.

What you need to remember is we are a subsidiary and our parent company sets the amounts they charge us for equipment, rent etc... This company will never turn a profit because if they let it, they could not hit everyone up for concessions. Solution, charge more for truck leasing to sub, charge more for rent to sub, never let sub come close to a real profit.

Not possible. After retiring 400 million in debt, and on paper retiring 5 million to 10 million more per quarter, the company is accelerating paying off said debt by 2020, not the current deadline of 2021.

They can't really use an excuse like that unless the economy shrinks drastically in the next 3 years, which is entirely possible if not inevitable (basic market ebb and flow).

There only left to stand on when it comes to not raising pay etc is the overwhelming fact that if you take say FedEx Freight, and take their hourly wage, plus what the cost of health insurance, dental, vision, they technically only make around 23.75 an hour. Which is squarely where we will probably be sitting at in the next contract. I would imagine they will give back 5-7% of wages, attempt to buy out pension, and not touch healthcare.

Not possible. After retiring 400 million in debt, and on paper retiring 5 million to 10 million more per quarter, the company is accelerating paying off said debt by 2020, not the current deadline of 2021.

They can't really use an excuse like that unless the economy shrinks drastically in the next 3 years, which is entirely possible if not inevitable (basic market ebb and flow).

There only left to stand on when it comes to not raising pay etc is the overwhelming fact that if you take say FedEx Freight, and take their hourly wage, plus what the cost of health insurance, dental, vision, they technically only make around 23.75 an hour. Which is squarely where we will probably be sitting at in the next contract. I would imagine they will give back 5-7% of wages, attempt to buy out pension, and not touch healthcare.
Your rational thinking doesn't fit in with the way this place works.
Think the complete opposite. They are not giving anything back they don't have to. And they don't have to.
They figure if you don't like it. Leave. Sorry.
There is nothing rational about this company and the way they have done things in the last eight years.
They may keep Healthcare. It's the only positive they have to hire anyone dumb enough to take a job here.
My opinion and mine only.

Pensions, unfortunately are close to a pyramid scheme, and not designed for success. Everyone has gravitated to a 401k, which while risky as all get out, can reap rewards if the long run. Yes you can say the market can tank, but then again your pension will be just as useless. Because in the abstract, pension funds are reliant entirely on the market, especially American pension funds. Just as a 401k is. But A 401k can be modified and not affected by aging population and lack of membership to unions.
Your rational thinking doesn't fit in with the way this place works.
Think the complete opposite. They are not giving anything back they don't have to. And they don't have to.
They figure if you don't like it. Leave. Sorry.
There is nothing rational about this company and the way they have done things in the last eight years.
They may keep Healthcare. It's the only positive they have to hire anyone dumb enough to take a job here.
My opinion and mine only.

Lol, I worked here in 2014-2016, and just came back. Obviously for the health insurance, but because I love the job and the fellas I get to work with. I have the innate ability to not let a companies actions dictate my decisions or my personal actions and certainly not my convictions, so I'm back with my same customers, fixing my own truck and painting it, and living a stress free life until this place is finally sold or closed.

I agree with your rationale, I guess you could say I was speaking in a Best Case Scenario sort of way.

I am using the schedule I have here to finish my college career out and make appropriate decisions for my work future in the interim and beyond. I have a lot of faith, and I personally hope for the best. If it was feasible for everyone to go to 23.75 or 24 an hour, maybe invest in a 401k instead of a pension, and keep or supplement a small amount of healthcare costs through weekly payroll deductions, maybe 20-30 weekly, personally I would be fine with that.

I will never let a corporation dictate who I am. I will work as hard as feasible to be the best employee I can be. I have never lost what most of you have while working here, but I can attest to having to pay 700 a month for health insurance at other jobs, having cell conversations recorded and having a camera faced towards you recording all the time, having to maintain 6.8mpg, never going above 68mph, can't drink or eat while driving, can't use tobacco products on any company property or in, can't use cell phone on company property etc. I made 25 hourly plus overtime after 40, 6 day work week, 70 hours, bringing home 1400 a week at my last job.....and I resigned and came back here. If that can mean anything, it's that the grass may be green on the other side, but it's generally industrial dye and spray paint making it green, not substance, brilliance, dedication, rationale or accountability.

I'm proud to be here, not because of the company, but because of the family I have made while working here. Proud to help them when they need help with pick ups, or a load ran, or help unloading Freight that should of been air dropped lol. I love the interaction, the problem solving and standing up for those who are to scared to stand up for themselves.

"I believe that if we all stand together, we'll have a voice that can shake the whole world"