Averitt | Student drivers=increase in accident rates...

zeroday

TB Veteran
Credits
Just read in Team Matters:
Summing up our team’s greatest challenge in the first quarter can be
done with two words: “accidents” and “injuries.” Both of these factors increased quite a bit compared to the first three months of 2012. Our accident rate increased by 35%. For many reasons, we need to focus on reversing that trend!

Backing accidents have been trending upward for several quarters, and the first three months of this year reflected the highest number we’ve ever seen,” says John Walton of our safety and compliance leadership. “Our Driving Concern Is Safety, and that’s one of the reasons we’re adding decals to help reinforce our safety-first focus.”

Is it any wonder when you recruited student drivers from driving schools?

Just read in Team Matters:

Is it any wonder when you recruited student drivers from driving schools?

But these people are riding with our TRAINERS....or are they just CHEAP teams......These SO-CALLED trainers should be TEACHING...not just racking up miles!

We all got to start somewhere, I bumped into everything my first three years, actually got down to 2 points !

When you are sitting in the jumpseat or the sleeper, all you can do is talk. You cannot grab the wheel.

My best training was being a hostler for 3 years many many moons ago. It taught me how to back anything in to anywhere. The setup to backup is crucial. I watch guys come on the yard and struggle to back into a dock with tons of acreage to work with when simply setting yourself up would have made it far easier.

I value my 14 points but Averitt's little training center is not going to improve anything. The #1 reason they are stocking the payroll ranks with rank amateurs is because of the low pay scale. Any good, highly qualified and skilled drivers know Averitt is a bottom feeder outfit in the pay department. They are all aware of the reputation that follows Averitt. SO AE is left to hire the floor sweepers and burger flippers. They also resort to silly little contests with prizes of gift cards to Walmart in hopes of enticing the "driving force" to prevent accidents.

For those that have forgotten, we used to haul pups around. Today I hear from many city drivers how they load all of these residential deliveries on 53' trailers. With this type of mentality from our supposed "leaders" it makes me glad that I don't work the city. Refusal to deliver would be a daily occurrence under those conditions.