Sturtevant breaking ground?

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by Wildbean1, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Wildbean1

Wildbean1 New Member

Linehaul is on my radar for Dayton. I was told by a driver to jump in now at the Milwaukee terminal if I'm interested. Honestly I'm on the fence because of money and insurance. What would I be looking at first year linehaul earnings? My wife said United is a god awful insurance company, but overall Dayton is attractive to me for the simple fact that nobody complains on here much. That says a lot. In a nutshell, it's not how much I want to work, it's how much work do they have? I'm currently in the 70-80K range, but a rather toxic work environment. I left YRC in 2014 after 15 years clean driving (local) and considering a return to freight, and wouldn't want that place again.

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Bottom of the pay progression at my barn works out to around 80k for new road guys getting roughly 500 miles per night. I'm not sure what kind of runs they have up there, but I see a couple Milwaukee guys occasionally I can ask. I've heard now is a good time to get on there. I think they're building one and expanding another terminal. The earlier you get on the better!

Wildbean1 likes this.
  3. Wildbean1

Wildbean1 New Member

I'll have my mind made up by spring. I'm trying to be as careful as I can in my decision without blowing a great opportunity. I know any new LTL terminals that build, fill up positions very quickly.

4. bubs

bubs Active Member

You should definitely make at least 70. It probably is a good time to get in Milwaukee but I also have the sinking feeling they're going to transfer a bunch of guys up from ORD because that place is maxed out two times over. You might have some top heavy guys going over there. But either way, it's not bad. The work environment is one of the better ones I've had in LTL. United Healthcare totally blows. I complain about it every chance I can get

Wildbean1 likes this.
  5. Wildbean1

Wildbean1 New Member

Thanks for that insight! An over abundance of drivers can be difficult to deal with for any new employee.

BIG H likes this.
  6. bubs

bubs Active Member

I wouldn't worry too much about an overabundance of employees. This place is still growing ridiculously over the past year I've been here. You just might have a long time to get to the top is what I'm saying. The rumor is that when they open that terminal, uline has a crap load of work for it that they just can't handle right now

Wildbean1 and coondogg like this.
  7. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

So are they moving out of Milwaukee to Sturtevant?

8. Wildbean1

Wildbean1 New Member

I'm told they are expanding Madison and moving Milwaukee to Sturtevant.

coondogg likes this.
  9. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I'm pretty sure that's basically it, but adding a Madison area terminal that doesn't exist yet. I think maybe Milwaukee drivers have been covering that area, and now the system up there will be more efficient. One of their drivers explained it all to me one night, but it's been a while so I'm sorry if the details aren't exactly right. I think he said the new Milwaukee area terminal will be a lot bigger than the current one. They also talked about it in the newsletter, but I doubt I still have that laying around. I wish I had more details for you.

10. Wildbean1

Wildbean1 New Member

No problem. I can't make a move till spring yet anyway really. I can just say I've never met an unhappy Dayton driver. They have my interest.

11. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

That's exactly why I wanted to work here. I met several Dayton drivers from several terminals over the years at shippers and I noticed the same thing.

Wildbean1 likes this.
  12. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I was told last week that the current Milwaukee terminal is actually leased, so to expand we had to build our own. Those drivers are about to experience a nice upgrade. The Dayton-built terminals are all based off of a similar design template and are well-lighted and kept very clean.

Wildbean1 likes this.