Sugar and Salt the next target for the FDA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toby, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

The FDA recently placed more restrictions on transfats (not good for you) , but are also looking to go after sugars and salts in foods. While high amounts of any of these things consumed are not healthy for you, when have we as thinking adults not been able in our own capacity been able to choose for ourselves what we should or should not consume ? There comes a point where nanny gov needs to enable people to live by their own choices in life be they good or bad.

2. SuperCourse

SuperCourse WHO IS JOHN GALT?

The sheep don't even notice the foot on their throats. This oppressive Federal Government is encroaching on our liberty at an alarming rate. They are injecting themselves into every aspect of our lives. I just don't understand how anyone can be comfortable with what is happening.

3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

At some point it will effect something they may like in ways they never expected and they will ask how it happened. Kind of like that lady in Denver that advocated for O care but got dropped from her insurance and now is left with a sour taste in her mouth.

4. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I read my labels now McDonalds frys no trans fats, cheeseburger has trans fats I would have thought the other way.
    I didn't make it past the fats to see if there is any salt or sugar maybe next time

5. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

Maybe we should get rid of the FDA altogether, if a manufacturer puts something in the food that kills you, too bad your problem.

6. Magoo

I think if you get sick eating their rodent droppings you should be able to shoot them in self defense

7. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

If you eat at MCDonalds you are choosing to eat unhealthy to start with, even so you are freely choosing still correct? What if nanny gov said you could not and banned fast food all together would you be in favor of that choice removed from you?

8. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

They already do with GMO products that the FDA approve

BTW AZ I am 75% vegan now, eat or purchase very little processed foods, and buy and consume local organic and free range when I do eat meat. That was a choice not a gov mandate. Sugar (natural - Raw) and salt in moderation is not bad for you, I use each in moderation and still have lost 75 pounds over the last two years. 45 this year alone.

As a consumer you should read the ingredient list, if you can not pronounce it. Generally you should not eat it. People need to learn how to cook once again. We make 90% of our meals home made , left overs and freezing what we do not eat at the time made.

When you look at obesity rates it is two fold, people making unhealthy choices to what they consume ( still making a personal choice though ) and lack of exercise .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  9. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

Good decision, I've been vegan for several years now ( 95%----hard to be 100%) just watch your Iron and B12 levels as I either hike or Mountain bike most days of the week, I feel it when I forget my B12 supplements.

10. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I take a good multi and b12 suplement .we talked about riding befor, you have great trails by you. I road bike and train indoors in the winter.. Logged 2,237 road and 825 on the spin for 2013.

Exercise is key along with a good diet. People do not understand that those of us who have gone vegan enjoy the same dishes as non get to enjoy.. You can convert most recepies and make it vegan if you know how to cook..

11. Magoo

What if nanny government said you must wear helmets when riding bikes would you comply?

12. Magoo

Have you tried the Steriods yet?
    They worked for Lance

13. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

Isnt it great to live in such a free country?

Hear is a novel idea, how about only 1 hour of tv a day. If they can put a black box in a car I am sure that they can put an electronic gizmo on your tv that automatically shuts it off after it has been on for an hour.

How about 1 hour of mandatory exercise, pre work calisthenics. Everyone can line up in front if their place of employment and do jumping jacks and hill climbers for an hour.
    Eliminate the elevators and escalators, make people take the stairs (nice reversal in rents, usually pay more for floors on the top)
    Eliminate all parking within one mile of anything. Going to the mall, a mile walk, to school a mile walk, to the hospital a mile walk.

Finally, a calorie limiting system.
    For men- 2000 calories per day, thus, you are provided with 14,000 calories per week
    For women- 1500 calories per day, thus limited to 10500 calories per week
    Because it is illegal to discriminate, we shall meet in the middle at 12,250 calories per week

Plan well:

14. Magoo

You ought to send this list off to your Congressmen & get the ball rolling
    yes we can!

15. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

This would upset the scooter store generation.

16. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

For children I would not be opposed to it being mandated Mags , but for adults I do because as an adult you should be able to make choices for yourself be they good or bad . As an adult you should not still need someone else holding your hand all the time. I understand you believe that the government needs to hold our hand on just about everything, but you never said should they ban all fast food establishments ?

17. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Mags they make e- assist bikes now, you should see if you can get a subsidy like they do for the volt ..

18. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Lance was having whole blood transfusion... Either way they all were on roids at that time.. The Europeans hated lance.. Does it excuse what he did ? NOPE but he still had to ride those miles and not many people can either way..

19. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Many teams were pissed he only trained and competed in the tour when most would do the whole circuit .. His training was intense, I read a few books from his coaches and incorporated some of the training this season getting ready for the century rides I did.. Let me tell you mags its not for the faint of heart and I get to start again next week for next season..

20. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Mags at the time that Lance was doing what he did it now is well known and documented that all teams were subject to those taking supplements that are now banned.

To start it was not Steroids in the sense that most think such as what a football or baseball player would take. The opposite really because what is key in an endurance sport such as cycling or running is the oxygen intake and absorption of lactic acid in the blood steam and muscles. What I said about blood transfusions is true, it would clean out much of the built up lactic acid, he also used olive oil and off the shelf at the time supplements. Those today are clearly marked if you look at them in the store indicating if they are banned or not.

I have taken a legal supplement called " sports legs " it helps in allowing more oxygen into the system and aids in the burning of the lactic acid that builds up.. That is where you get the cramps or you hit your wall around mile 55 or so...

If you watched the tour this year in July you would have heard the announcers mention all those riding today that were fined from doing the same thing that Lance did at the time..

Believe me the training is intense, you do a regiment of intervals where you go at 90% plus of your max VO that feels like your heart will come out of your chest..