FedEx Freight | "Super Single" tire blowout

magicman

TB Lurker
Credits
Last friday afternoon, a Little Rock Volvo tractor running the super-single tires on the drive blew the right tire on Interstsate 30 enroute back to terminal after a meet & turn.

The driver stated that there was no sort of advanced warning, just a loud "pow", followed by almost instantaneous shredding of the tire and the entire set riding on a steel rim on that side at 65 MPH.

I can't sit here and type long enough to detail every second that transpired from that point.

I will try to sum up what he told me in a nutshell. He did manage to finally get it to a stop and off the road. It was an extremely wild ride. There was a period of about 20 seconds where he genuinely thought that ("this could be it for me"), ("Life flashes before your eyes"), fill in your own cliche' here, but you get the idea.

Point is, they WILL blow out, contrary to "expert" information to the contrary. Be careful. :1036316054:

I had the same thing happen to me with a super single dolly. As you said no advanced warning, just a loud boom then sparks from the rim. The rim was worn flat by the time I got stopped and to the side of the road. Another of our drivers was trying to pass me at the time and couldn't beleive the rear stayed upright. Very scary indeed.

single tires

I think for three axle trucks and two axle trailers the single tire is a good way to save on cost and weight but for the LTL Im not crazy about them........

I hate the super single dolly. If it's so easy to push around by hand what do you think it's doing under your trailer.

You ever notice that the people who are supposed to drive this experimental ::shit:: around are never consulted? Has anyone ever said "Say, we're thinking about changing this, as a driver what do you think?"

Tandems all the time, twice the tires twice the chance of survival.

I hate the super single dolly. If it's so easy to push around by hand what do you think it's doing under your trailer.

You ever notice that the people who are supposed to drive this experimental ::shit:: around are never consulted? Has anyone ever said "Say, we're thinking about changing this, as a driver what do you think?"

Tandems all the time, twice the tires twice the chance of survival.

HouzBinPharteen is totally correct here . If we are the people
that are driving these trucks every day we should be the ones
that the company is taking the input from directly not some
shirt and tie that is telling us what is best for us and really
has no hands on experience in the day to day operation of
the equipment , much less not even being a licensed CDL driver.

Glad to see everyone and everything's ok with these examples. The company has gotten away from those super singles and gone back to duals, all the new dollies are equiped with them. Hopefully the experiment is over.

i personally like the super single dollies but my opinion isn't nearly as important as you road guys because i only pull a set every now and again once a month at best and in day light.

I was using an old Monon red gear for awhile in the city that sucked. I had a shuttle driver grab me one of the Eagle's with the SS tires so when I came back for my mty I could just spot it by hand since they are so light. Well last winter we got a few inches of snow in the evening I was headed back with my 12,000 lead and mty rear with this gear that in the snow is just like a big ski the roads where not that bad but this is not the gear for snow. I have never used it since. I was wondering how the trucks would go since the one's I have seen had some kind of summer looking tread? I don't think the weight and cost saving's are worth the added risk.

the problem is the side wall of a super single is much thicker, almost like a run flat BUT NOT A RUN FLAT! in fact just the opposite. this is 99.9% the reason for a blowout! that and a bad pretrip "checking air pressure"

Here is what one looks like, they are not even close to being run-flats:

roog

blownsupersingle.jpg

you guys think anyone cares about your opinion?

your job is to shut up and drive the truck, whatever truck, whatever the condition, we are no more than cogs in a corporate wheel

the problem is the side wall of a super single is much thicker, almost like a run flat BUT NOT A RUN FLAT! in fact just the opposite. this is 99.9% the reason for a blowout! that and a bad pretrip "checking air pressure"

I understand that most people don't even f@#%ing read the the post but the damn key words here are "almost" and "BUT NOT"

and they wonder why harrison will not listen to drivers!

I understand that most people don't even f@#%ing read the the post but the damn key words here are "almost" and "BUT NOT"

and they wonder why harrison will not listen to drivers!

I read your post and I was backing it up with a picture, not criticizing it.

roog

i`m not up on what the big bosses are doing in harrison but my keen observations have told me that if you look around at the new dollys in the system all of them are duel tire not super singles......to me that shows that maybe they have listened to us.....i dont know what Raafi whas talking about when he said they dont care..."just another cog in the wheel" i belive he said.....

I noticed a couple times, running in the snow, that all my dual tires were cutting down through the snow and touching asphalt,and my super single dolly tires were riding up on top of the snow. That was enough to convince me.

If you look for information on these super singles, you will not find anything that says they are to be used in single axle operations.

I will avoid a dolly with super singles when possible.

Thanks for posting this thread. I almost crapped reading the leader post. I always wondered (but never thought of asking) how you guys liked these in sets. The video I saw, of course made by the maker of the tires assured the audience that the tire would not "blow out". Anything to sell a POS i guess. Be careful out there.