FedEx Freight | "Super Single" tire blowout

As gearraker stated earlier, our co. (OD) uses alot of super single gear. I had one blow a left side on the KS. tpk. and it was indeed quite a show. I think what saved me was the fact that it was a left side that went. With the natural lean of that road to the right, had it been on the other side the result could well have been different. Since then, I don't touch 'em unless there's nothing else available.
Also, an earlier post here mentioned that they aren't even allowed in triple setups. That's what I pull and I had no idea that they weren't allowed. Thanks for the info about that!

Aladdin Sane :1036316054:

That is only a FedEx Freight West policy.
Old Dominion uses super singles in their dollys all the time pulling triples. So does FedEx Ground pulling triples and SAIA if they have any around. I think even Estes uses them on triple lanes.

:TR10driving03:

i think the same guy who got us the abloy locks, single tires and set up the
engine shut down after 1 minute is up for the darwin award this year.

Aladdin Sane :1036316054:

That is only a FedEx Freight West policy.
Old Dominion uses super singles in their dollys all the time pulling triples. So does FedEx Ground pulling triples and SAIA if they have any around. I think even Estes uses them on triple lanes.

In the east we are allowed to pull supersingles with triples as long as they are michelin X-Ones per Fedex Freight policy and the Ohio Turnpike regulations

In the east we are allowed to pull supersingles with triples as long as they are michelin X-Ones per Fedex Freight policy and the Ohio Turnpike regulations

Fish :1036316054:

That is good to know.
What is the speed limit for triples on the Ohio turnpike.????
Out here the speed limit is 75mph, although our trucks only go 65mph on flat ground.
The super single dollys are not supposed to go any further west than Denver.

I've begun to see a lot more of the good ol' Masterlocks lately. Are we going back to them? Hope so.

Our shop parts guy was telling me that abloy can only deliver 800 locks per month and since we need a hell of alot more than 800 per month they decided to get master locks as an emergency fix to make up the difference of locks needed to the amount abloy can send us. So apparently once abloy has sent us enough for our needs the master locks are going away again

Our shop parts guy was telling me that abloy can only deliver 800 locks per month and since we need a hell of alot more than 800 per month they decided to get master locks as an emergency fix to make up the difference of locks needed to the amount abloy can send us. So apparently once abloy has sent us enough for our needs the master locks are going away again

chitownpeddler :1036316054:

Like you can interchange these locks without
taking half the door apart.
They should just get rid of the Abloy locks altogether
and just keep the Masterlocks for good.

All of our new trailers have Master Locks on them, Abloys are out.

Also Denver will not take Super Singles, if we get to a meet with SS tires the West driver is supposed to swap gears out and make the East driver keep the SS gear.

roog

All of our new trailers have Master Locks on them, Abloys are out.

Also Denver will not take Super Singles, if we get to a meet with SS tires the West driver is supposed to swap gears out and make the East driver keep the SS gear.

roog

roogie :1036316054:

If that is the case then the east driver should not bring a SS gear to begin with.
How dumb is that to swap out gears in a meet and trurn.

Good to hear that they finally gave up on the Abloy.
Just like that old saying: quit digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Yep, they shouldn't but it's really not a big deal because most of the SS gears just end up coming back the next day or even that night, we do a lot of meets and layovers with Denver from Kansas City.

roog

Fish :1036316054:

That is good to know.
What is the speed limit for triples on the Ohio turnpike.????
Out here the speed limit is 75mph, although our trucks only go 65mph on flat ground.
The super single dollys are not supposed to go any further west than Denver.

the speed limit for all LCV's on the Ohio turnpike is 65 mph (which is the posted speed limit) and the policy for east LCV drivers is 65mph or the lower posted speed limit